Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-02-13, 11:48am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default etsy or web site?

I am in a quandry, which should I do ? I am about to make my second tutorial and hope to have it ready in the next month. So, I will have 2 tutorials to sell now. A friend hosts a web site for me, but I am absolutely hopelessly clueless and inept with computer things. I have asked multiple times for him to fix my shopping cart and 8 mos later it still isnt done and I cant do it. The site is useless.

but I do have a domain name etc.

so here is my question.... should I try to use a host site like pappa shop or go daddy etc that has templates, that hopefully i can figure out? or would I be better off to just do an etsy shop and skip the web site hassle? I will never actively market much more than my tutorials and maybe some ornaments etc at christmas.

On one hand I would prefer only to have paypal fees and not pay etsy, but on the other hand I would have to pay a hosting fee etc.

so, whats the easiest most idiot friendly way to go? Cheap helps as well.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-02-13, 12:13pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Well just from the perspective of easy and quick I'd vote for Etsy. If I can do it anyone can. I'm not happy about the fees but I think overall I'll still get out cheaper than paying GoDaddy or whoever $10.00 or whatever it costs a month.

You have a domain already though. Can you maybe find someone to come over and spend a day or two teaching you how to set up and maintain a simple website?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-13, 3:29pm

I don't have a website, but I've been playing with weebly.com, and it seems pretty simple.

Heck, lately I don't even have time to make beads, let alone, make jewelry to sell!
Old 2011-02-13, 9:01pm

You can do a lot better than weebly. Try google sites or free webs.

Old 2011-02-13, 10:02pm

I have a host that charges $5.95 a month. I can add a shopping cart to it for you. PM if you you're interested I've done a couple already!

Old 2011-02-14, 2:38am
picking Job's Tears

Free website with a link to a free Artfire studio?
(I use awardspace (the free option) for my website and Etsy and Artfire for shopping carts. As long as you don't go "pro" on artfire it's free)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-02-14, 6:15am
I fart diamonds

Candice, can get you set up with a site & cart for less than $20/year. (yes, year. It was actually $10/yr, last I checked.)

ETA: Just checked again. $8.99/yr.

Last edited by shawnette; 2011-02-14 at 7:30am.
Old 2011-02-14, 6:32am
Hobby Junkie

Who do you use Shawnette????

Old 2011-02-14, 7:24am
I fart diamonds

I use Dayanahost and Zencart.

Old 2011-02-14, 7:29am
I fart diamonds

The absolute cheapest route is to just add a buy it now button to your blog. You can set up a blog for free at www.blogger.com (google blogs), write about your tutorial and add a PayPal Buy It Now button. EZ PZ!

Old 2011-02-14, 1:04pm
ManBearPig

There are plenty of us who would be glad to get your site up and running.

I sell on Etsy and on my web site, and I sell probably 20x as much on my site as I do on Etsy. In fact, I don't even really mess with Etsy any more.

Old 2011-02-15, 4:06am

Mr Meker, Curious why you don't care for weebly? I liked them because it seemed so simple, and the templates are pretty clean looking.

Thanks,
Mary
Old 2011-03-13, 3:06pm
Storm Queen

Are you just going to sell tutorials? If so, I'd recommend using e-junkie and Blogger. e-junkie would be a flat fee of $5 a month and you can put a link on your Blogger page (free) to sell them. I'd also put them in Etsy as well but try and funnel most of the sales to your e-junkie link because you wouldn't be handing any percentage to Etsy for those and that percentage really adds up.

Old 2011-04-26, 10:07pm

We had a shop on our website forever and got little traffic. As soon as we started marketing on Etsy our sales shot up. If you already have the traffic you need, I agree with some of the others that setting yourself up with the cheapest option possible is the way to go - we just prefer the extra exposure.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:45pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingSquared View Post
@AKDesigns - what is the percentage you mention? As far as I know you only ever pay 20 cents per listing on Etsy. But you do have to pay listing fees and a percentage of the sale on eBay I think.
On Etsy it's a 20 cent listing fee and a 3.5% fee of the total sale price.