Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-08-24, 7:27pm

Default Nikon s9300? or Canon sx260?

Does anyone have one? Can I see what it does for you??
I've been reading this whole page for days as well as camera reviews and I just need a direct 'good' or 'bad' from anyone who uses it for beads.
I just went in to the store to try out a list of possibilities and realized many are bigger than I want for multiuse, I like pocket size but want better pics, I liked the nikon shots better, currently I have a casio exilim which I dislike and sometimes use a sony cybershot which is ok but I don't love.
These two are both around $400 nz, I'm leaning towards the Nikon but trying not to be swayed by the nice dark blue colour lol.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-24, 7:57pm

Both Canon and Nikon produce quality cameras. The end result depends on you. Handle both cameras and see what feels best to you. Since you are looking for a camera to mainly use for bead photographs take a few beads with you and take pictures of them while you are in the store. The store should show you how to access the various features of both especially the "macro" feature. That lets you take pictures up close. Also have them show you how each camera controls depth of field so you can take pictures of your beads that are in focus all over the picture. By doing this one of the cameras will tell you that it is the right one for you. You mentioned you liked the Nikon pictures you saw better and you should pay attention to your instincts on that.

Features like high resolution (lots of pixels) are not of great interest if you are going to display your pictures mostly on the web. So put your money in the camera that offers the most features that you feel you will use for your purposes.

Good hunting!

Old 2012-08-24, 9:09pm

try to find one that allows full manual control and allows macro shots.
the camera should also allow you to set white balance and iso.
shooting in auto even with an expensve DSLR will not give you the best shots possible.
just an fyi in the class I just took at the gathering non dslr cameras could not produce the quality results needed in the class. one student who brought a point and shoot camera actually went out and bought a cannon dslr after the first day and was much much happier the second day of class.
just taking a quick look at both cameras the canon allows manual control,iso,white balance adjutment and does macro.
the nikon does most of the same but only allows auto control so I would say go for the canon I am a nikon Fan

#C-151

Last edited by Baywinger; 2012-08-24 at 9:10pm. Reason: sp
Old 2012-08-24, 11:17pm

Thanks, further reading is definitely favoring the Canon, I thought the nikon had manual because she had to set it to auto but shows what I know, hence the need for help!
I had a dslr before and never figured out how to use it plus it was too bulky, I know some people on here get awesome pictures with smaller cameras, still hoping to see some examples with either of these.
Cheers

Old 2012-08-25, 5:27am
Miss my BoBo Griff

I just bought a Nikon s9100 off someone on Craigslist and although I LOVE it for a walk around/travel camera I wouldn't get it for bead shots I use a dslr for that. If I remember correctly ( which is a big if lol) Brent (mr. Smiley) got a canon sx120 for bead shots and every day stuff and really likes it. Check on Craigslist, the camera that I bought used was maybe turned on a couple times everything down to the camera strap was still in plastic in the box. I paid 140 for it.

ChrisAnn

Old 2012-08-25, 3:56pm

Thanks Chrisann,
I love Brents photos just pm'd him but looking back through his posts I think you are right, looks like he went from a sony cybershot to a canon with zoom. I'm almost sold on the Canonsx260, I'm in New Zealand so Craigslist isn't an option, we have trademe which is similar but only one on there and it's cheaper at the department store! Plus I can pay it off 6 months interest free so I'll hardly notice paying for it at all, lol.

Old 2012-08-25, 10:12pm

Well i went back for a second look at the Canon after heaps of research and couldn't resist getting it today, now I have to wait for the battery to charge, set up a light tent etc and learn how to use it!
This is the best I could do with my old casio

and... a couple of shots taken in store

I know they're glary but I love the detail and can't wait to play more
Thanks for the advice in here

Old 2012-08-26, 6:09pm

Kristan: What Canon model did you settle for; those pics. are wonderful...Never mind, I see above...sorry. Wow, great shots with a "pocket camera"....I have a larger Canon, an older model and am thinking of something "newer".....You got some great pics....an you set the F stops manually?

Wolflo(Lois)

Last edited by wolflo; 2012-08-26 at 6:13pm.
Old 2012-08-26, 9:33pm

Hi Lois
Nope I did'nt set anything manually, I'm just reading through the instructions now, looks like I need to take a class! But those shots were just where the shop assistant set the macro function on auto focus.