Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-25, 12:28pm

Lightbulb ceramic tile marver

I was looking around the shop last night for stuff I could possibly repourpose for basic tools and I opened a box of ceramic trim tile (the rounded ones the go around wall tiles in bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) And was thinking maybe one could turn it into a paddle its simple, not much sticks to it, it can take the heat, can be cut with a wet-saw into any shape, and are a dime a dozen...literally so I guess my question is what's the best way of going about this? And has anybody used something like this before?
Old 2013-09-25, 1:12pm

I sometimes use my marble cutting board work surface. Not sure about ceramic.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-09-25, 5:16pm

I use cut ceramic tile in the kiln as dams when I am fusing, but it heats up slowly. So you may find some shocking and cracking with a big honking hot bead. They are usually free from dealers when that pattern is discontinued, so no worries!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-25, 9:04pm

Several houses are being built on our block, and most have slate-type tiles (I don't know where in the house it is used) in the dumpsters. I pick out some nice ones and keep them in my freezer. When I want to use EDP, or coral tequila sunrise, or another color that is temperature sensitive in a beadroller, I put the tiles under the beadrollerto keep it cool and get that nice color variation.

Probably a bit off-topic, sorry.

--Helene
Old 2013-09-25, 10:04pm
Wonder-wench

several benches I've used have been covered with tile and I have used them in a pinch to marver. it often leaves a light scorch mark on the tile, but no cracks or other problems noted.

Old 2013-09-27, 4:20am
kinda torching....

Call around to stone companies that do counter tops and you can get TONS of free marble from broken slabs to cutoffs. Tile places also give away a bunch of free samples, and old samples when replaced with new cuts or models.

Old 2013-09-27, 6:51am

My work station is tiled and as Elizabeth says I some times marver on it and never had a problem. You just gave me an Idea to try, I was going to play with raku frit and I may use tile as a marver to cool the bead down quick.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-09-27, 8:33am
Glass-aholic

It works great. And is less than a dollar at Home Depot for most small pieces in different shapes and textures. I made some cool concave beads rolling on a tile stick that was domed edging. You can try others too. Just check that it's glazed not screenprinted or stickered. It will work better.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-09-27, 4:59pm

It works surprisingly well actually the glass has almost no desire to stick to it and any and all scorch marks can be wiped off with your thumb its deffienetly a "tool" of mine i plan on using.
Old 2013-09-28, 5:20pm

Ive used it for all of about two days but love using the tile its the perfect tool for me. also a second one allows me to use it as a masher
Old 2013-09-29, 4:19am
one day at a time

Ceramic tile?? Crackity-crack-crack! I have cracked 12" tiles on my work surface just from molten glass dripping on it. They broke in half. That is why you don't see any of the suppliers selling marvers made out if ceramic!

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-09-29 at 5:49am.
Old 2013-09-29, 5:33am
Lampworkaholic!

Porcelain tile is an option. It is fired hotter than ceramic, still inexpensive and available. I use the long thin ones stacked in my kiln to rest the tip of my mandrels on.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-09-29, 5:52am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Porcelain tile is an option. It is fired hotter than ceramic, still inexpensive and available. I use the long thin ones stacked in my kiln to rest the tip of my mandrels on.
Great idea! They would be easier to find than buying kiln furniture. Thanks!
Old 2013-09-29, 7:17am
state-eternal change

Considering the word "marver" has been adapted from the French "marbre" (marble), marble ought to work really well