LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2021-01-16, 9:31am

Default Best ventilation for this space?

Hey everyone, after a 5 year hiatus from lamp working I’m looking to set up a small home studio again as a hobby. I worked semi-professionally for a few years and got burned out on production but now want to get back into making art pieces in my spare time.

The house I am renting has an 8’x10’ art studio shed in the backyard. It is small but has a lot of windows for light and ventilation. My thoughts are to work with the door and small window at the front of the photo wide open and set up an exhaust fan in the opposite window about 10ft. away with my bench and torch in front of the exhaust window. The side windows would remain closed and would just be for letting in natural light during the day. Since I rent I really want to rig something temporary up to the window and not drill through the walls. Not sure if a strong gable fan would work mounted in front of the torch with the make up air pulling in from behind me from the open door/window or would you guys still recommend a hood or funnel setup with an inline fan and running the short section of ducting out of plywood or insulation ran out of the window?

I will be working boro with either a gtt sidewinder or phantom doing small and medium sized work like sculptures, goblets, marbles, pendants, vases, the occasional pipe,etc.. The bench will be the whole width of the room with the torch positioned in front of the window in the center. Here are some photos of the space, please let me know your thoughts. Also attached a photo of a fan I thought could work but let me know if that fan is trash and if I should do a hood or funnel setup and what type of fan to use. There is an electrical outlet under the window so I need a fan that I can plug in and not something that needs hardwired since the shed is running off a heavy gauge extension cord ran to a gfi outlet on the house.

Also, let me know of that heavy gauge extension cord electrical setup should be a problem for the kiln. I have old 60s electric with only 4 20 amp breakers but the studio would have 1 dedicated 20 amp breaker as long as my tv is off since it is running off the living room circuit. Also the studio floor is plywood so I would remove those area rugs in the photos and put a piece of Hardi backer under my workbench.
Attached Images

Last edited by earthtones; 2021-01-16 at 9:37am.
Old 2021-01-16, 9:53am

Here is a rough sketch of my set up idea. Bbq tank propane cylinder would be set outside the door when I’m working and put back in the shed at night. Oxygen tank would be mounted behind the door on the wall or I’m seriously considering getting 2 10lpm concentrators to run the sidewinder to save the future hassle and expense of dealing with a cylinder especially since my local Airgas is 20 minutes away and they want around $70 per K tank fill after taxes,fees,etc.
Attached Images

Old 2021-01-16, 7:58pm
Salt Box Beads

That is fine if you wear a half mask respirator the whole time. The best system is to completely "capture" the fumes and exhaust them. A Barley box works well for this.

My thread when I set up in my horse trailer might give you some ideas for a small space.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124125
Old 2021-01-16, 9:33pm

Nice setup in the trailer Lorraine, was cool to see the transformation! I’m familiar with a barley box so I will build one and attach that to my desk and then put a piece of plywood in the window I guess and run an inline fan and duct out the window. I definitely can’t work with a respirator unless it just for a minute to fume or something. I was lucky when I was working production I was in a fully set up in a professional studio someone else built so I didn’t have to worry about the ventilation setup. My first home setup before I worked in the studio I worked in a shed and installed a giant hardwired 2,500 cfm attic fan and it pulled a lot of air. I didn’t have a hood though so I may have taken a few years off my life but it passed the smoke test with flying colors. Luckily I live on the California central coast so nights are always in the 50s or 60s and it doesn’t get too hot in the shed studio during the day unless we have a heat wave so I don’t have to worry about A/C or ever having to shut the door when I’m working due to freezing cold weather so I will always have the door and back window open to pull in fresh air.

Will a 800-1,000 cfm hydroponic inline fan be suitable or does it have to be a more powerful squirrel cage style fan?
I found some fans like this that I can connect to the ducting and they look a little more lightweight than a squirrel cage and they plug in to an outlet as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by earthtones; 2021-01-16 at 9:40pm.
Old 2021-01-17, 9:33am
Salt Box Beads

It depends on your Barley box size. My squirrel cage has three speeds and I like the 1100 best. 1000 should be fine but be sure to check out the decibels. Read some threads here on that subject and how peeps have dealt with it. I made a four foot one and found I was hating full length rods. I cut my rods in half and it was much better. I reread your post and see the decibels are 39. Not bad.

Good luck. As with all studios we are always tweaking them, they are in a constant state of flow and ebb. Took me three years to get the chair, arm rests and seating PERFECT! With that small of ducting make sure you install smooth ducting.

Have fun and remember the chocolate or whatever your go to food/drink is.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2021-01-17 at 9:37am.