No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-16, 7:55am

Default Tell me about your workbench

Hello,

I am about to put in a new ventilation system, but before I do, I figure I might as well have a good workbench to go with it. I need your help.

1. Do you have instructions for building a workbench that you are happy with? OK - I know that one is asking a lot but I thought I would ask anyway.

2. How high do you like your workbench? Right now I am at regular table height but should it I be taller?

3. What do you use for your bench surface?

4. Most important, If there was something you could change or something you love about your workbench, please tell.

Thanks in advance!

Sue
Old 2009-02-16, 8:23am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I use a wood banquet table with some stainless steel for under the torch. It was the only thing I could use when I first started and it worked out good, so I kept it. It holds my kiln, all my stringer, tools, and of course the torch. It used to be able to hold the glass but since the glass grew, its now separate. I have the table up on 4" risers. I am tall and was leaning over the torch, not too good for staying away from fumes.

If I had my dream workbench, I would have something custom build to my correct height with a tile surface and lots of storage.
Old 2009-02-16, 8:53am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

We found one of those old metal teachers desks from a used furniture store for $60.00! We then went to Home Depot and bought a piece of backer board (fireproof but does leave a light brown scorch mark, no biggie), which fit perfectly (actually, I think my husband scored and cut of about 1") and then we duck taped it the desk! The size is fine for me and I have everything within reach... Here is a link to a thread I posted in the Studio section here on LE (I hope it works):

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...21#post2035121

Good luck!
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2009-02-16, 9:55am
Beadmaking.nl

My husband has build this ventilation system:

At each workplace there is a .... (help me with my English) and outside is a fireplaceventilation.

I have also two ventilationsystems in the wall, which can blow in and out. You can see it on the second picture.

You can take a look at the renovation here:

http://www.margrieten.nl/?page_id=673&lang=en

Old 2009-02-16, 10:30am

I have the opposite problem from Megan - I'm short, so I had my bench built a couple of inches lower than a standard dining table height. I made the mistake of making it only 22" deep, though. Wish I'd made it about 26-28"" deep so that I could have had shallow storage shelves for things like frit and tools on my bench to one side of my ventilation hood. The other mistake I made was not planning for under-the-bench make up air for my vent hood. I live in a cold area, so now I'm trying to figure out how to install it after the fact

Linda
Old 2009-02-16, 11:00am
when in doubt, add a dot

I agree with Linda about having a deep bench, mine is 36" deep, it gives me plenty of room for everything I want in front of me. I didn't install a vent for makeup air in my bench and wish I had, it would be so much more convienent. I also really like my bench's surface, it's 12x12 ceramic tile. Fireproof, and easy to clean. Another thing I like alot about my bench is it's long. 9', I built it against a wall in the garage. I'm right handed so I have lots of room to my right for my kiln, glass anything and everything I want close. I also have room for stuff underneath, cabinets etc. because I had it made pretty tall. When I sit at the torch it hits at about my breastbone, the lowest part of it, that seems to reduce stress on my shoulders and arms.
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2009-02-16, 11:07am
Yeah me!

In order for you to be comfortable you should first find a chair that is comfortable for you to be in for hours, then figure out how tall your table should be, keep in mind that you will want elbow rests. You need to make sure that it is custom to your needs.

Old 2009-02-16, 2:51pm
HotFlash Designs

My work tables are stainless steel from IKEA. I love them! I can even use it as a marver base when I can't find mine in the pile of tools.

Hot glass falls on it. No big deal.

I have them at table height, and I have 2 adjustable stools. Depending on what I am doing, I swap stools around. I get tired of sitting on the same one too long. (broken tail bone) so they have different seats.

Then I have a nicer bench that is granite, but my studio is in out finished basement, so when I clean it up(ha! yea right) , it blends in with the rest of the decor. (the granite)

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2009-02-16, 4:55pm
A True Woofer

Here are my workbenches. They're back to back with a wing on each side for the kilns. The top is honed granite. I love it.

Old 2009-02-16, 5:10pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Ellen,

OMG...your setup rocks! I have to ask...how is your ventilation set up? Do you have a larger pic? I'm saving your picture so that when we build I can have something similar

-Yee

Old 2009-02-16, 5:38pm
Corgi Cult Member

Ellen, Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fantastic it would be to torch in your setup!!

Old 2009-02-16, 7:12pm
Just me

I was very impressed with Ellen's set up as well. If you go to her blog, under 2008, you can see the progress of her bead cottage.
It's gorgeous and 100 times better than my house! I'm envious but happy for her to have such a wonderful place to create.
The link to her blog is on the home page of her website.

Old 2009-02-17, 7:03am
A True Woofer

Wow, thanks everyone!

Yee, here's a picture of the ventilation.

The slots that suck the air are open on either side of the bench, so that it'll work when 2 people are torching. When it's just me, I have baffles to put in the side i'm not using to increase the effeciency. It's a pretty sweet set up. It works great too, as I'm very sensitive to bad ventilation, so I know this is good.