Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-05-07, 7:57pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Heck, turn that footstool lengthwise and you'll have a "recliner"!

I've been out in my studio all afternoon. HotHead is set up on one end of the work table and ready if I need it! Check! New Cricket is set up with Natural Gas and OxyCon and functional! Check! Brand new little JenKen annealer/fuser is set up and functional! Check! Work table is covered with stainless steel and clean! Check! All my sheet glass is moved into the converted and enclosed porch! Check! All my glass rods are in cubbies and marked as to coe, and color! Check! Stringers/twisties/canes are all in their own little buckets by coe! Check!
Still haven't gotten the rod warmer/hot plate from WalMart...one of these days....

Now all I have to do is straighten up the stained glass section and I'll be ready to take pictures!

My dog has learned to open the door and come into the studio. She doesn't even look at me, just slides in, lays down, grunts, and goes to sleep, so I have to step over her. She's a quick study...I called her and told her to push the screen door open and she figured it out..so now she comes into the glass storage area, barks, and I open the door into the air conditioned part and she flops! Guess I've got a partner.
Old 2009-05-11, 5:24am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Looks great Lorraine! We spent almost 5 years living in a RV traveling and torching all across the country. It really is a cool way to meet all kinds of lampworkers.

Peace,
Greg (D's husband)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-05-11, 6:22pm
Salt Box Beads

Tillie, did you get studio pics up anywhere? I wanna see....

Thanks so much Greg, my eventual goal is to move it all again into a larger toy hauler. This will do nicely for now though.

Lorraine
Old 2009-05-11, 6:39pm
The Brighter the Better!

Surely you can just get an old caravan in reasonable nick and do the same? At least they are bigger!

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-05-15, 11:22am

I may have missed it but, Where are the horses now and how do you transport them? I love your studio!! Featherlite's are awesome trailers. That's what I have for my horses. They are solid.
Old 2009-05-18, 2:09pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Sandy, Thank-you for the wonderful compliments...Yes it is a nice trailer... and so tall. We bought it thoroughbred size.

I haven't owned any horses since my years in New Mexico..I miss them. We were going to sell the house and move to the country....bought the horse trailer to move our stuff into storage units, with the plan of using it at the new country home for a pair of smaller draft horses..either, Suffolk Punches, Fjords or Haflingers. I could trail ride, plow, show, buggy trail etc.

but THEN, the market dropped and after having my stuff in storage for 2 YEARS!!!, I brought it all home, and we only used the trailer for hauling furniture, wood etc. I was going to use it for bead shows but then DH got a job that takes him and the F350 away from home for weeks and sometimes months at a time. My SUV can't pull it.

NOW it is my lovely little studio...that people laugh at when I say I put my studio in my horse trailer...until they see it.

I am waiting for DH to finish this well site job and get it finished...Then I will be a torching maniac I am sure...:
We still want a home in the country but who knows at this point???

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-18 at 2:11pm.
Old 2009-05-20, 5:53pm

lorraine,

It's amazing! And a sure inspiration. I'm new to all of this and still working on getting my own little studio set up outside for now. I can't wait to have something like that in the future. It definitely helps for ideas and what a unique one. I never would have thought of that. Then again it's the art of creativity and yours is at it's best. Thanks for showing all the stages from beginning to present. It really does look great!
Old 2009-05-20, 8:35pm
Salt Box Beads

Drumfr, thank-you so much for those wonderful compliments. I am so happy to know it will help others to set up a small area of their own.

I was going to buy a small trailer, but that made too many vehicles here and too much insurance..

You would be surprised at how many different ideas I drew out on paper before I looked at DH and said I'am taking the horse trailer over!!!! and that was that!!! He knew it too, but thought it was the best idea also.

Thanks again, and welcome to my world and to LE. Lampworking can get in your blood and there's no known cure...Mwahahahahah......

Horse Trailer update..Well in post #88 I mentioned DH had been called to work down in the bay area ( he has been gone all of this time) and he is supposed to be able to come home tomorrow for a week or so...so maybe, just maybe we can get the studio finished??? I might have finished pics by Sunday...and pics of a messy work area. I have about 6 tuts I want try out and lots of bead presses especially the two new ones from Cattwalk. I owe her some pics and reviews.
Take Care everyone.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-05-20 at 9:13pm.
Old 2009-05-21, 5:31pm

Of course! You're right there's no cure for this addiction. I've sat behind a torch maybe 6 times and had to get my own. Now I'm just waiting to get an oxy tank and it's taking far too long!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to learn more it's an amazing art. When I found these forms I was even more ecstatic lol. In due time i will be able to advance my sad story of a studio and abilites haha. In the mean time can't wait to see yours finished!
Old 2009-05-24, 2:24pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking ThE END!

And so the exciting Horse Trailer Saga ends happily...

Here are the "current final pics". The next week or two I will be tweaking my space, learning how to get all of the electrical set up and the propane on and getting the different flames learned on my torch, getting the chair just right, the torch height just right, the music and computer screen just right, Sansa player loaded and head phones ready...so much still to do.

DH will be here to make sure all is okay....including me because I am kinda high strung so he helps to keep me calm.

Then I will be making tons of twisties, pulling stringers and playing with the bead presses and tools and my 5 pound box of silver bits I bought from Ron...That will keep me busy for a long time!!!

When I am finally comfortable with all of it I will then turn my attention to my tutorials and ideas that have been in my head for such a long time. I think it will be very calming to finally be able to start expressing them.

The 2 mangers came in so handy! We have to fill in the gaps on the ac with foam and then it will be ready to go. The last pic is of DH surveying his handy work..LOL As you can see in the inside photo he eventually got it level with a little help from moi!

I am so proud of him and thankful he has such a great work ethic and helpful nature. I surely could not have done some of these things without him.

If you have any questions just email me
Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-05-24, 3:59pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

It looks so neat and so well set up!! No, I haven't posted any pics yet, but I will as soon as I get everything all nice and neat. Don't forget, this is a stained glass/lampworking studio. (I did get my little annealing/fusing kiln!! WoooHooo!) My big kiln is in a room all its' own in another bldg...the back end of the greenhouse that we converted to all metal with a cement floor! No danger of a fire in there!! I got gifted a small table that is covered with stainless steel, and I got some thin ss sheeting and covered my 40" x 84" worktable, and I had enough left over to cover the table the kiln sits on and also to add a "backsplash" of metal behind the kiln. It's slowly but surely coming together. I got all my stained glass and fusible glass sheets stored in the converted porch area of my studio, so I have a ton of room now to do stuff as soon as I get everything ELSE put away. (big grin!) I did get my glass rod storage set up! Your studio looks awesome!!!
Old 2009-05-24, 5:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Tillie! Glad to hear you are coming along slow but surely!

Sometimes I wished I had stayed with watercolors.... it would have made our lives so much simpler and saved us a bundle, but we are here now so we are going for it.

I am happy with how it all turned out and can't wait to get going tomorrow.

Hope to see a thread started by you soon???

Hugs
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-24, 6:54pm
It's all about art.

I have only read the 1st page but I'm impressed. Congratulations.

Old 2009-05-27, 11:05am
Just Me!

Wink Thanks

I've spent the last 2 days reading your Horse Trailer Saga, quite a story you've told.

I would love to be able to do what you've done. My studio is in my kitchen/dining room. It sounds like it would be enough room, but it's not. It is so tiny. Very small house.

You and beadsoncypress, who is also moving her studio into a trailer, has given me ideas. I live on 15 acres and could use the trailer idea for my studio. You are so lucky and/or blessed to have a husband who is very handy and industrial to be able to help you with the building aspect of your endeavor.

Thanks for sharing all the photos and info with us all, it was a lot of fun to see your progress...........Valerie
Old 2009-05-27, 3:51pm
Salt Box Beads

Valjean, I AM blessed and favored of the Lord... I also know very much what a terrific husband I have. He is very smart and thank goodness when he doesn't know he says so. LOL

15 acres, I would love just 2 or 3 or 5 acres. So you too are also blessed. I know with a little elbow grease and planning you will make a great studio just for you too. I always get a little thrill when someone tells me the thread has helped or inspired them.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-06-01 at 4:35pm.
Old 2009-06-01, 4:41pm
Salt Box Beads

I purchased 5 pounds of silver glass bits from Ron and I have been wanting to pull it ALL into stringers. The problem was where and how to store it??? As you all know my space is very small at 6X7 feet.

I think have the problem solved but you will have to stay tuned for the picture at a later time. I have to wait for a package to arrive so I can set it up.

It may not be a brilliant idea but it will certainly work for the amount of silver stringers I will eventually have and there are a lot of different colors in that 5 pound box of bits so I needed a lot of storage.

I can then make my stringers and keep them ALL separate and labeled.

Don't you just hate TBC'S ( to be continued)

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-02, 5:34pm

TBC's.... Yes, 'cause I want to know now & no, 'cause it is something to look forward to.

So, can't wait to see the next addition to your wonderful set up.
Old 2009-06-02, 7:49pm
Salt Box Beads

Awww, thanks Terry. I am looking forward to it also..Tee hee

I have a kinda sad update. As DH and I shopped through the marble tile back in March and I picked up one of the boxes in the store and DH said I yelped and said oh that hurt. I then I picked up a full box ( about 45 pounds) from the cart and set it into the back of the SUV I hurt my shoulder.

Being a horsey person and country farm girl I am used to lifting and dealing with some pain. examples: I fell at my cousins wedding a few minutes before the ceremony and broke my nose. I landed full face into the concrete..I was NOT going to ruin her day so I went into the pool house and borrowed some makeup, washed off all of the blood and went back to sit and watch the ceremony. I drank some champagne and went home and took tylenol, took it for a few days and then just dealt with it.

Got tossed off my horse, landed on my tailbone and busted either my tailbone and pelvic bone, maybe my back, maybe all 3. I couldn't sit, stand, walk, sleep or even lay down for months!! but I got through it. Again no doctors, just dealt with it.

I thought this time I put my shoulder out but it has been 3 months now and I only have about 40% range of movement and the pain when I move my arm where it doesn't want to go is pretty bad....I have sleepless nights because I just can not find a comfortable position for my arm/shoulder.

I finally broke down and went to see a wonderful Chiropractor. After putting me in all kinds of positions and pressing, pulling, pushing he crossed his arms and said Well, you really did a number on yourself!

Torn muscles, ligaments and maybe cartilage. He said what was really bad was I did it in several different directions and waiting 3 months was not good as muscles heal with scar tissue which can impede movement.

So I am going into intensive therapy starting Thursday. Anyone done this? What will it be like for me?

So the moral of this story is NOT to buy marble tiles or to lift them always one by one!!!!

The worst part is at this time I cannot find a comfortable position in which to torch. Maybe after some therapy I might find one??? So once again torching goes on the back burner.

I am glad to know what happened but VERY upset with myself for not realizing that 55 years old is not 35 or even 40. I guess I will no longer lift any heavy objects over say 5-10 pounds.

And so the horse trailer saga ....continues. Updates and my stringer storage will be along soon.

Hugs
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-06-02 at 7:52pm.
Old 2009-06-02, 9:17pm

I had a patient injure me while working the floor several years ago. He damaged all the soft tissue in my right shoulder (he elbowed me, I thought he hurt my back, but when he did that, he actually popped a rib out of my sternum. ) It took me 3 days to go see a chiropractor. My reg. Dr. wouldn't see me at the time because his office was packed. The chiropractor was next door to my MD, so I went to him. Didn't take my GP long to get me in. HAHA, they consulted in about 15 minutes. I was in the hospital ER having multiple Xrays with a consultation for all of the treatment after the injury. It took 2 years for it to heal completely.

Each person is different, the shoulder is the most complex joint in our bodies, it took me long months of intense physical therapy, deep heat and massages, rubber band exercises, etc. to finally get back to normal.

It's been about 12 or 13 years ago, I think. Now if I am at the torch for long hours it aches all day long. Since I made all of those charms over the weekend for the exchange, my arm is killing me.

Old 2009-06-02, 9:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Oh Dear. I am glad you got to it right away! but sorry you had such serious injuries.

I kinda figured this would be a ummm, long haul for me.

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-03, 5:31am

Lorraine, I injured my left shoulder about a year ago (don't know how) and thought it was a herniated disc in my neck. Went to Neurosurgeon, found out I did have a herniated disc, had surgery in January - did not help my shoulder, although it did help other problems. Went to an Orthopaedic Surgeon, had x-rays and he told my I had a torn rotator cuff and would need another surgery. I told him I was going to Las Vegas and could not have surgery at that time and asked if I could try an injection of cortisone. He said he could, but it probably would not help for long. That was the middle of March and so far I have been pain free and have full range of motion. I also had a couple weeks of PT, which may have helped. It appears you don't particularly like doctors, but you may have to break down and try their method if the Chiropractor doesn't help. At any rate, good luck and I hope you get back to your trailer make-over soon.

Greg
Old 2009-06-03, 8:06am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Greg, Very glad to hear the cortisone is working for you.
Most of the time I didn't/ don't go to doctors because I have most always been poor and with out insurance.

We have insurance now but it still does not cover everything...

I have to go to the walk in clinic today to get a Dr. referral because my insurance wouldn't accept my Chiropractor's referral.

I do hope to be torching soon...all of this hard work setting up the studio and yesterday we went to a bigger town and we bought equipment I can use for silver coring from Harbor freight and I am excited to get in there!!

Anyone else had shoulder injuries? I think I will go ask in the family room..

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-03, 4:56pm
Never give up

That is a great setup. Iam in our garage with no AC. What I wouldn't give for your AC.
Congrats.
Old 2009-06-05, 9:02am
Broken

How cool! You guys did a fantastic job!

I am currently looking at expanding my existing studio. We've looked at a 12x30 building, but we've also talked about our trailer.

We rodeo, well my husband does more than me so we travel a lot. I have cut back in the last few years because I miss glass when we are gone. We've talked about converting part of our horse trailer so I can torch while we are on the road. You've given me some great ideas!

Old 2009-06-05, 11:41am
Salt Box Beads

Hey Nicker, Me too! I thought about all sorts of ways to do this. At one point we thought about trading in our Featherlite for a Exiss 4 horse with LQ and a mid tack.

I thought the mid tack was huge and would make a great little on the road torching studio. It would be easy to vent out of too because they usually have at least 3 doors into the mid tack area.

Good luck and please post pics if you do use a trailer and it is my pleasure to help in the ideas dept.

Update: We are having rains here and DH is back to work and the A/C leaked into the trailer...but at least it is only in the feed manger area, I think?

I had to get on a stepstool and cover the A/C up this morning with a large leaf bag but with my injured arm it was a real chore. No stress, no stress.....
Lorraine
Old 2009-06-10, 2:08pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking More pictures!!!

Well, what a ride this has been...I guess it is the ride of living life....eh?

Okay, so therapy is helping. Well most of it. I hate the ultra sound, I am refusing it next time, way too painful and it is on the lowest setting and I asked them to move it faster, slower etc and it still hurts too much right now.

I went into the studio and played with my arm position standing up and I found a comfortable area. I just have to wait for DH to come home and saw up one more block of wood.

Sawing was hard with my right arm, but there is NO way I can saw with my left one. I am just glad to have found a good pain free torching position.

Here are some pics of my tall thin stringer storage trays. I bought the ice trays at wal-mart cheap and found the 1/2" straws online also cheap. I like my stringers really long and thin and they break all of the time and they are so thin it is hard to tell what colors are what.

So now I can have them all in a row with the name right in front where I can see it and I should be able to fit all of my favorites in these two trays. I plan to mostly fill them up with silver glass stringers and then the raku, copper green, black white, SIS etc. Just my favs go here. I will make up another one for vines and one for twisties.

I like them a lot...I will post these also on the other thread for ideas? inventions? Can't remember what that thread is called but I will find it.

Hopefully the next pics will be of the stringer trays all filled up and of the studio up and running and getting really M-E-S-S-Y!!!

Lorraine
Attached Images

Old 2009-06-10, 8:04pm
Burning Fingers!

That is a fantastic "re-model" - A big "well done" to both yourself and your husband, you have done a great job.
We are in the process of turning one side of our 4 box stall barn into a workshop for my hubby and myself. The last of the horses has been gone now for a couple of years, and I have no intention of getting back into horses - getting too old (59). My DH was going to build a separate shop for me, but it seemed silly to leave the barn just standing empty getting filled up with junk/storage, so we have decided to utilize it. The stall dividers have come out, and the full wall to divide it off from the breezeway have gone in, as well as two of the three windows (I wanted lots of big windows). My DH is very methodical, and everything has to be measured multiple times, and thought about "forever" before he makes any moves - but bless him, he is doing it. I have been taking a few pictures, and when there is a little more progress I will start a thread.

/
/
/

Old 2009-06-10, 10:19pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Jane for the lovely compliments,..I can't wait to see your thread.

My DH is very thorough also but it does pay off in the long run. Build your studio bigger than you think you'll ever use in case you decide to add..electroforming, coring, PMC etc...

This hobby can really spread out into other branches. I actually have 3 small separate studios right now. A small bedroom in the house for all of the beads, jewelry making, silver wire work and photo taking, computer for listing and I do all of my design work inside etc.

Then I have a 10X10 section of the garage for storage of just about everything to do with lampwork and making frit blends, most of my glass rods are stored in the garage, soldering and the lapidary stuff is out there, etc. and I will be adding electroforming when I can afford it.

Good Luck!

Hugs
Lorraine
Old 2009-06-17, 7:01am

Hi Lorraine! Hope your shoulder is starting to get better! I can certainly relate to glass-addiction injuries. A few weeks ago, I took a good pass at trying to break my foot while building a torching station in my garage. I was making the workbench part out of an old thick slab of solid oak my DH had had left over from a desk he'd made. By the time I got the 2x4 framing on it, the whole arrangement probably weighed a good 80 lbs. I decided to make the supports shelf-bracket style instead of table-leg style so that I can slide my chair around underneath it easily when I need to. I know I found the wall studs, and was sure I'd anchored it with long enough screws, but forgot that the wall board is double-thickness on that wall. I climbed up on it to reach something, and the whole thing came free....straight down on the bridge of my foot. I had to laugh about how you're prone to tough things out, Lorraine - I'm just like you. I got my foot up on a stool, packed it with ice, and proceeded to try to tell myself "I don't need that foot, really. I have another one...." Finally got around to seeing the doctor last week because it was healing so slowly. Fortunately, I got off the hook with having just bruised the bone and broken some blood vessels, but I sure got the 'look' when I told the doc I'd hurt myself 3 weeks earlier.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed following your thread on your mobile lampworking Shangri-La. I love the glass stand you set up by your torch. Looks like an ice cube maker with straws to hold stringer? Is that right? It's really clever and so cheerful!

Linda
Old 2009-06-18, 9:49am
Salt Box Beads

Hi Linda

Yep! Us'n country folk are tough..ain't we?? LOL Okay enough of that tom foolery!

I am so glad you were not hurt worse! To have that whole thing come down, I think you were lucky. On top of that it will have to be redone, But at least you didn't have it come down with a hot kiln etc.

My shoulder is getting better slowly thankyou for asking. But my PT told me yesterday he is adding another week...ughh.

The stringer trays are exactly what you said and the straws are 1/2 inch...here is a link to another thread about them with better pics:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...60#post2531060

Post # 113

Hugs
Lorraine