No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-15, 3:51am

Default serious crack?

Hello everyone,

I have a question about this bead, the bead is made out of double helix and then encased whit a big blob of lauscha clear, the double helix was put in a reduced flame, after that I left it under the flame for not loosing the effect, I know this is temperature reaction, but after encasing the bead was reheated again, and put directly in the kiln.
Now my question, is this going to be a serious crack, or is this a normal reaction from the double helix.
Anyone got a answer for me...??

Bye Jolanda
Old 2008-02-15, 5:26am
More glass...more glass..

No definite answer for you, but I will say that encasing DH seems to give me a 50/50 chance of cracking. I usually let my encased DH beads sit for a few weeks before doing anything with them to see if they are going to crack.

That being said, when my encased DH beads crack, it's usually one long crack straight down the middle. And yes, I kiln anneal.

edz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2008-02-15, 6:25am
Formerly known as LT

I encase my double helix colors all the time and have not had any crack. I don't use lauscha however because of cracking issues with that glass.
Try using another clear. These are pics of recent beads made with partial encasement and psyche. I usually use a light transparent either moretti or vetrofond. Both are compatable.

Last edited by Feldt's Glass; 2008-02-15 at 6:33am.
Old 2008-02-15, 12:37pm

Thanks for your answers
I am going to buy some other clears to try out, also tried out a different way of working it out in the flame now, hoping not to have this problem again.
jolanda
Old 2008-02-15, 12:39pm
Gay rights R human rights

Lauscha clear doesnt play well with any silver glass....

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-02-15, 4:56pm

Repeat:
No lauscha clear with silver anything. No lauscha clear with silver anything. No lauscha clear with silver anything.

I can't believe there are still people out there that don't know this. Please don't take this the wrong way, but there must be 10 threads devoted to this very topic. And it comes up constantly.

If you want to encase silver glass, R4 is the best, and moretti and vetrofond will also do. You can encase anything you'd like in lauscha pretty much, except for silver, silver glass, and reds.

Okey dokey?

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-02-15, 5:01pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2remember View Post

That being said, when my encased DH beads crack, it's usually one long crack straight down the middle. And yes, I kiln anneal.

edz
If you have a long straight crack, it's thermal shock and not incompatibility. Kiln annealing doesn't mean that it won't happen.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-15, 5:03pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post

If you want to encase silver glass, R4 is the best, and moretti and vetrofond will also do. You can encase anything you'd like in lauscha pretty much, except for silver, silver glass, and reds.
Diamond Clear is made by Precision and carried by R4/Rocio as well as other retailers, e.g. ABR Imagery. Worth the $$ in my opinion when used over silver glass. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=430_318
http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-15, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Diamond Clear is made by Precision and carried by R4/Rocio as well as other retailers, e.g. ABR Imagery. Worth the $$ in my opinion when used over silver glass. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/index.php?cPath=430_318
http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html
Yes, Haley. Thank you. I was too busy to type it out. Google is your friend (so is LE, esp the sale rack)

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-02-16, 1:46pm
More glass...more glass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
If you have a long straight crack, it's thermal shock and not incompatibility. Kiln annealing doesn't mean that it won't happen.
Hmmm....thanks. I always thought that as well, but I *know* these beads were well heated before they went in the kiln and I've *only* had this happen with the DH/clear combo. Draw your own conclusions...

Also, I don't use Lauscha clear... Thinking of trying my R4 Clear next time though to see the results...bought it but haven't tried it yet.

edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2008-02-16, 2:33pm

I make large bead & have been using the new 'soft' lauscha over silver glass & have had no cracking... but don't accidentally try to use any other clears to bulk out the centre. Crack City.

Kerry