Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-16, 10:12am

Question Yet another eye glass question

Hello all- I'm looking for some advice on protective glasses and everyone is always so helpful here, so I hope you can help me. I work soft glass now on a Piranha and a Scorpion. Lately the flare from the torch is tooo bright for my 202Ace glasses so I switch to my boro 3 green glasses but these are a bit dark. I've been researching and was wondering if anyone has personal knowledge on : Wale Wear by Wale Apparatus glasses or Phillips split lense glasses ( are they heavier due to the attachment of the boro lense to the bottom of the frame?? Don't want them to fall off my nose!) or Aura Lens glasses ( whose site is down- can't get any info). I normally wear glasses so I think my eyes are changing and becoming more sensitive. Any advice would be welcome. Have a Great weekend! Thanks- Joan
Old 2011-07-16, 10:34am

How is the ambient light at your workstation? When I first set mine up I neglected to add local lighting right at the bench. I work boro so I am using philips #3s and I felt they were a bit dark as well. After adding ambient light I am much more comfortable with these. Best thing about the wrap around philips frames is that they fit comfortably right over my prescription frames. Philips lenses and frames have a great rep and the quality is excellent. I have never tried them but the Aura frames and lenses seem to be well made. I would suggest that you at least do a google search on them to see the companies history before jumping in with those.
Old 2011-07-16, 1:43pm
Alaska Boro

Use a didy shield and a set of welding shade 3's for small boro projects. The shade 3's from Air Gas are clip ons which work well. Of if darker is needed then 5's are also available in the ten dollar range.

And yes, additional light at your work station is needed. Less light for the 3's and more for the 5's. Using a set of three 20 watt MR-11 floods 9 inches from the torch working area for added illumination.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:28am

Thanks Alaska and LarryC- never thought of additional light. I do have my work area lit up and a "spot light" on my torching spot. I'll add some more light and see if that helps. Thanks- Joan