No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-05-02, 7:53am
Bead Breeder

Default Portable Ventilation Setup...

I have a tiny dilemma and I don't want to get into politics, but ultimately I need a little bit of help navigating an interesting scenario.

I don't torch at home, I torch at a lovely studio where I rent time and I really enjoy going there. The ventilation is linked up to the heat system, and I suspect that its not exactly adequate. Obviously, with weather warming up, the owner does not want me turning on the heat.

I torch a few times a week for a minimum of 2-3 hours and have been doing so for over a year and a half now. I work exclusively in COE 104 including double-helix type glass.

I have been informed that because the ceilings are high (20 foot ceilings, maybe 2500 square feet of workshop area) that I do not have to worry about ventilation. There is a door to outside and people do go in and out occasionally. I was also informed that OSHA has not identified any teratogens or toxins in super-heated glass that would be problematic... that the biggest thing I had to worry about was a buildup of nitrous oxide, but again, only in smaller spaces.

I'm trying to find the OSHA specs, without much luck. I wonder if anyone has ever set up a portable ventilation system - or if anyone has any ideas.

Obviously I love going there and the absolute last thing I want to do is to make bad blood. I like and respect the owner, but it's clear that I have a decision to make as to whether I should continue torching at all as I'm hoping that I'll be "breathing for two" sometime soon.

Last edited by MeagletRN; 2014-05-02 at 8:02am. Reason: Adding a bit of information re. coe 104
Old 2014-05-02, 8:41am
Dichro Addict

The ventilation is hooked up to the heating system? Unless you can see a hood or fan, there is not adequate ventilation...in my opinion. You would need access to a window to make any type of portable system work. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-02, 8:53am

Scroll down to the bottom of the link to see a portable ventilation setup.

http://www.andreaguarino.com/VENTILATION.html
Old 2014-05-03, 1:39pm
Bead Breeder

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I really appreciate it.
Old 2014-05-04, 11:17pm
Salt Box Beads

You could try a solder fume extractor and see if that helps. They come in a wide price range.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/solder-fume-extractor