LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-19, 1:05pm

This is a great post as I've been wondering about this. And since I'm at the newbie glass wasting stage of my lampworking journey, this is a huge money saver.

Does anyone know what COE this type of glass is?? I have a ton of this from years ago during my mosaic phase and am wondering if I can pull this into stringers.......

http://www.mosaicmercantile.com/cgi-...html?E+scstore

THANKS!
Old 2009-08-19, 1:12pm
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameron View Post
This is a great post as I've been wondering about this. And since I'm at the newbie glass wasting stage of my lampworking journey, this is a huge money saver.

Does anyone know what COE this type of glass is?? I have a ton of this from years ago during my mosaic phase and am wondering if I can pull this into stringers.......

http://www.mosaicmercantile.com/cgi-...html?E+scstore

THANKS!
These ususally do not have a marked COE so it is VERY risky to mix the glass, good chance the beads will crack. You can make one color beads. But I would not even mix glass unless I knew it came from the same sheet. You can pull stringers and make raised docorations, but they will be monochromatic. You can add fine silver wire, etch, use presses...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-19, 6:54pm

This is a great idea! I really need to practice making stringers and beads in general. I need to dig that beautiful brown bottle of Kalua out of the trash. And my husband is gonna think I am really weird when I tell him to drink more beer please lol!
Old 2009-08-26, 8:58pm

I own a bar and have access to many interesting bottles. Because of this thread all the great colored bottles now have a "Save empty bottle for Donna" label on them.
Old 2009-09-17, 8:32pm

Here are some made with recycled bottles

Last edited by tikiterri; 2009-09-17 at 8:37pm.
Old 2009-09-18, 5:26am

Those are awesome Terri....what bottles did you use?
-elaine
Old 2009-09-18, 6:09am
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Default I see the "Sky"

I bet Terri used the Gin bottle for those beads?

Regarding an earlier post...I have used the "blue bottle" vodka for beads and annealed them with the same schedule as I use for COE 104...perfect little spacers. I'll see if I have any pictures, then post them. So the short answer is YES you can use the blue V bottles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan239s View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread yet but can you use the "blue Vodka" bottles? I've had this blue bottle for years, just because I loved the color and I would love to make beads out of it someday......
Old 2009-09-18, 8:54am

Thank you, I used Bombay gin for the darker blue and La Plazza Cathratto for the light blue bracelet.

Old 2009-09-18, 9:02am

I googled La Plazza Cathratto and got nothing--hard to believe. Is it something local?
Old 2009-09-18, 2:06pm

I think I spelled it wrong. I think it's La Palazza. Usually I keep the labels but I can't find the one from that bottle.

Old 2009-09-19, 12:20pm
Dangerous Woman

LOVE the bird and fish!

I get white wine in very very pale bluegreen bottles. They come out very nice and look like seaglass when etched. At a show recently a lady held a couple up and said it reminder her of old coke bottles. Then she had to buy a couple.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-09-19, 4:18pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiterri View Post
Here are some made with recycled bottles

Wow I love them. Did you etch them?? Awesome colors.
Old 2009-09-19, 4:51pm

Yes they are etched except for the bird and fish.

Old 2009-09-21, 7:04pm

Beautiful!
Old 2009-11-08, 4:29pm
Jamaican Me Crazy

wow Im a newbie and this is great, plenty of bottles around here, thanks for the tip
Old 2009-11-09, 9:40am

Thanks everyone for all your input. I was motivated to try making some recycled beads and came up with these. Plain and simple. I etched them.

Old 2009-11-12, 5:32pm

Those look great! Good Job!!

Old 2009-11-22, 12:35pm
*Desa Elliott*

Question Question about this technique...

I have the same kiln, but without the hole in the bottom. I think that this is such a cool idea, so do I drill a hole in the bottom of the kiln? I can do that....

How big should the hole be?

Then, if I wanted to have a solid base for the floor, I could use the kiln shelf flat on the floor of the kiln, right?

Desa

G-88
Creideamh, Sųil, Dėlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-11-22, 1:08pm

Oh No! don't drill a hole in the floor of your kiln. Take the bottom of the kiln off if its removable and set it on top of vermiculite boards with a hole in the center of the vermiculite boards. Also a note for later you always want your kiln shelf up off the floor for even heating.

Old 2009-11-22, 2:09pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

My grandma gave me a bag of slag glass she found at a yard sale. Each piece was about 1'' to 2'' chunks. I threw them in the kiln for a while and took mandrels, heated up the ends, and grabbed them out of the kiln one by one. They become one big ball of glass and then pull to the desired length. After cutting them, I threw them back into the oven to anneal. They make good spacer beads.

I also started out using stained glass, and beer bottles. I'd like to revisit the bottle idea and use the bottles from my wedding. Yay.

Old 2014-04-22, 4:06pm
Lifelong Student

Can glass from mirrors be used for this?
Old 2014-04-22, 6:49pm
Dynamic Duo

Any glass can be used. But.... I advise NOT to use mirrors. You are not going to get any mirrored beads, lol. Mirrors just have a coating on the back side of the glass which will burn off. And when it does, the fumes could be very dangerous. I know at one time, glass was coated with a mercury mixture, and this would be VERY dangerous.

Old 2014-04-22, 7:51pm
Lifelong Student

That is what I have been wondering...no mirror melting for me
Old 2014-04-26, 5:50am

I found this video some time ago, it really seems to be the best way to cut a bottle for making beads.

http://youtu.be/oALejLHC57o
Old 2014-05-15, 6:06pm

i know this is an old thread, but it inspired me to make bottle beads as well. I posted these in the newbies/intermediates thread in the gallery, but thought they might best belong here.
Made from Mountain Dew and Skyy Vodka bottles... and i have to say, making stringer from each to add scroll work to the beads has helped me tremendously in my stringer control practice... perhaps because the glass is stiffer and works slower. Anyway, I only was able to create a few earrings for my first craft show this year and they did well.

Also, many thinks to the video link on how to cut the bottles... cutting the thin strips was much easier to work with than shattered pieces.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations