No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-15, 9:47am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Default Help with blowing pot shaped vessel

I've been blowing little pots by winding glass onto stainless tubing, which works pretty good, but as I've gone up in size of tubing to get bigger pots, I am having a really hard time making a decent looking lip. When I heat the tubing and pull the pot off, I can't get it perfectly evenly heated, and end up with a wonky rim. I think I might have better luck trying tubing, but don't know what size or thickness to try. And I don't know how to score the tubing for an even break, or even if that would work since I don't want any kind of neck, just a round opening....or how I accomplish this with only two hands if I have one hand on the punty and one hand rotating in the flame. I tried to find something on youtube, but didn't come up with much. Can someone give me some tips? Thanks!

ps I'm working on a minor, so my flame is narrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-15, 10:08am

Have you tried using bead release and just leaving it on the tubes? The good news is you'll have more control but the bad news is the inside will be a little rough unless you cold-work the neck where the bead release was.
It's not that hard and it doesn't really take all that long. I start with removing all the release with nothing more than the tube the vessel was made on. I use a slurry of 220 grit on the same tube and go up from there. Depending on what their use is, you might just be able to wax it or use something like Liquid Luster and skip cold-working altogether.

Or just use boro. lol

Old 2014-05-15, 7:34pm
Glass-aholic

I have a fee tutorial that may help in my links below.

If you are getting results in the way you are working now you will be a pro on no time!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-16, 11:19am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Thanks you guys. I am trying to get a pot without any neck, that is why I haven't been using bead release. I've made hundreds of little vases, but they don't work for planting plants, I need something with no neck. I don't think I've tried winding onto the bead release without turning those first couple of winds into a neck, so I'll give it a try with bead release and no neck. That just reminded me of one of the first bigger vases I made, years ago, and the bead release broke while I was blowing and it popped right off of the tube, so I had to chase the vase around the floor while trying to figure out how to pick it up! Ahhh....good times.

Old 2014-05-16, 12:08pm
Wonder-wench

try getting the neck almost goopy hot then using glass shears to trim the excess glass and even up the opening

Old 2014-05-17, 12:24am
Glass-aholic

Why not think upside down. Use the 'neck as a base stand and build out like a hollow but never close the bubble. Or close it and pop it abs stretch it out. Just seal the hole in the neck, now base of pot with a dab of glass.

Or
It you are doing something like Elizabeth said above, make the pot, then punty it to another rod and flame cut a hole and then use shears if necessary. Soft glass won't tolerate the kind of what boro will to 'cut through fast and clean -ish you may burn your glass to do this effectively. . Might be easier to go with a ring mandrel and build a bubble on the end if that does not work

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-05-17 at 12:30am.