AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-10-25, 4:15pm

Default Need help with ventilation for new studio!!!

Hi,

I finalized my new studio but I need help with the ventilation part. When I start the torch, my flame is dancing around du to the make up air. Here are the details and my questions will follow..

- New isolated 8x10 shed (I'm living in Montreal so with extrême climate conditions).
- Torch: Minor bench burner ( new to me as I used a hot head until now) with oxy concentrator.
- I'm using soda lime glass for beads only and plan on using frits with proper mask eventually.
- Fan: I have a Fantech 8xl fan in galvanized steel with 521 CFM and 2600 RPM (which I believe translate in 5449 FPM (formula 2600x8inchesx0.262).
- I'm respecting the 10 feet rule between intake and outtake.
- Make up air:8 inches ( same as fan) with soft isolated tubing and placed under the bench behind the torch.

You can see all that in my studio pictures album.

My questions:

1. I think my fan is way to strong for the size of the room. I tried to set it up half way and it reduced the dancing flame but not enough to be workable. I did the encens test with the torch on with this set up and it worked fine. With the fan I have, is that ok to use it half way? Is the smoke test enough to confirm?

2. With the set up I mentionned, I steel feel a negative pressure when opening the door. Once the door is open, the fan kicks in a little bit. Is it normal to feel that or does that mean my air intake is not sufficient?

3. Any suggestion to reduce the dancing flame? I have a window behind me but it creates a draft and it's a lot worse. Also, this is not ideal with cold winter conditions which is why I installed the air intake closer to the outtake.

I'm a bit discourage by th fact that this set up seems like never ending.....Ive been waiting for a few months now and cannot wait to start again in a safe and functionnal studio....

Thanks for your help!
Mylene
Old 2014-11-05, 3:13pm

anyone? any tips or suggestions??
Old 2014-11-05, 7:03pm
Wonder-wench

I'm not an HVAC expert, and learned most of this from reading this forum and setting up my own single workstation, but here goes.

Your fan cfm seems on the lower side of OK, would not recommend going any lower.

1. I think my fan is way to strong for the size of the room. I tried to set it up half way and it reduced the dancing flame but not enough to be workable. I did the encens test with the torch on with this set up and it worked fine. With the fan I have, is that ok to use it half way? Is the smoke test enough to confirm?
light an incense stick or cigarette, hold it where your face would be and be sure the smoke gets sucked away from face are FAST.

2. With the set up I mentionned, I steel feel a negative pressure when opening the door. Once the door is open, the fan kicks in a little bit. Is it normal to feel that or does that mean my air intake is not sufficient?
If the door is getting sucked into the space (negative pressure in room) you need MORE make up air. The fan is pulling on the door trying to get more air. Can you install a flapper type grill on the door (sorry, don't remember correct name for this, it's like a heating vent or grill that has a hinged door that will only open into the space when the fan starts to suck air into room, ask at a place like Home Depot or Ace)

3. Any suggestion to reduce the dancing flame? I have a window behind me but it creates a draft and it's a lot worse. Also, this is not ideal with cold winter conditions which is why I installed the air intake closer to the outtake.
can you move your current make up air duct around to find the sweet spot? if so, use the smoke test afterwards to be sure your face area still stays clear.

I'm a bit discourage by th fact that this set up seems like never ending.....Ive been waiting for a few months now and cannot wait to start again in a safe and functionnal studio....

Better a dancing flame then smoked lungs, just saying. Good luck and keep asking and showing pictures on this forum until you are happy with set up.

Thanks for your help!
Mylene[/quote]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-06, 5:33am

Thumbs up

Thank you Elisabeth, I really appreciate. I will make adjustments and bring in more make up air and see how to reduce the impact on the flameas well.
I will probably be able to increase the fan a little bit too by having more make up air.
Old 2014-11-06, 2:51pm

do you have a hood over the torch and bench? Funnel? Bare end of duct?