Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-18, 12:12pm

Default Davide Penso "Blow Beads"

Has anyone tried Davide Penso's style of blowing beads on the end of a Carlo Dona pipe and jacking them down with Diamond Shears? If you're not familiar, he has a video on tube filmed at Corning Glass showing his technique. I can't do it. Any suggestions would help.
Old 2016-01-18, 12:36pm
I fart diamonds

Link?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-01-18, 2:12pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phb3...9063C833CBBC08

Use of the blowpipe is at the last part of the demonstration. Starts at 34:50 (complete demo is about 52 min long).

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-01-18 at 3:08pm.
Old 2016-01-21, 3:59am
Hello?

I've done it but without diamond shears or jacks. Well my tweezers became my jacks

The hardest part is getting the holes/ends the same.

Simple soft glass etched transparent blown beads.
https://instagram.com/p/6n5na9nDUl/

Old 2016-10-27, 2:00am

Default Hi

This way of blowing beads is the traditional way here in Venice and Murano. Any lampworker here use the same tecnique and the blowing tube. It's a very funny tecnique once you have mastered a little skill in being fast. A blown glass (either beads or globets) cools down very quickly and you have to pay way more attention in heat control. The basic trick is that glass and the blowing tube should have the same temperature before blowing (so when they have the same color you are ready to blown) and then if you want to make a complicate design, and you need more time, pay attention to keep warm the bead but also the blowing tube
Old 2016-10-27, 6:07pm

I took a class with Davide 2 months ago. I found the technique very difficult to master especially in knowing when I had the small bubble in the glass.
Old 2016-10-28, 8:37pm

Dona, Thank you. I think I wasn't working heat into the pipe, only concentrating on the glass. Can I ask why diamond shears and not jacks are used to jack down the end?
Old 2016-10-28, 8:38pm

Udona, not Dona....auto correct. Sorry
Old 2016-10-28, 8:39pm

bbisker, Did you enjoy Davide's class? I really want to take one from him
Old 2016-10-30, 6:15am

I enjoyed the class. I just wasn't good at it.
Old 2016-12-04, 11:58am

I am able to get the blown part but cannot use the shears correctly. Does anyone have suggestions on the correct way to get the hollow off the blow tube. So frustrating.

Old 2016-12-13, 5:13pm

Why does Davide use a diamond shears rather then Jacks to jack down the neck of the bead?
Old 2016-12-14, 7:57pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Aja Vaz is using that technique I am fairly certain. And if I recall, she said it's taken considerable practice.
Aja's is a different technique using puffy mandrels and not mini blow pipes. The holes on her beads are from winding glass on a mandrel. Davide's is from the traditional furnace glass blowing technique.

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-12-14, 9:33pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Aja's is a different technique using puffy mandrels and not mini blow pipes. The holes on her beads are from winding glass on a mandrel. Davide's is from the traditional furnace glass blowing technique.
Elaine Rusk and I cornered her one night at the gathering. She's doing them a different way if I understand correctly.
Old 2016-12-14, 10:26pm

Aja is now blowing hers from the end of a tube as well,

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2016-12-15, 11:57am
Fried Cat

There is a very subtle difference in her blow beads and puffy mandrel beads. She's able to achieve a perfect round with the Venetian method. Her earlier designs have a very slight elliptical shape.
Old 2016-12-16, 2:45pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohline View Post
Aja is now blowing hers from the end of a tube as well,
Thanks, Nohline, but she still uses puffy mandrels, right?

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-12-16, 2:45pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Elaine Rusk and I cornered her one night at the gathering. She's doing them a different way if I understand correctly.
Thanks, I haven't spoken to Aja for a while.

|
|
|
|
Old 2016-12-27, 11:17am

So, I'm still curious why Davide uses diamond shears not Jacks to jack down the neck of his bead. Any thoughts? I want to take a class from him so badly I can taste it.
Old 2016-12-27, 1:27pm

Smile

Davide Penso may be teaching a class at bead camp in Nokomis, Fla in July 2017.
Old 2016-12-27, 8:32pm

ohhhhh I'm in!
Old 2016-12-29, 8:56pm

I worked in a hot shop last year for about 6 mos, as I wanted to learn how to make really big, curved beads. Didn't happen, but I learned a few things.
Returning to my torch, and 104, I learned to make pipe blown beads. My biggest problem is with debris on the pipe getting on the bead hole. Unlike furnace pipes, stainless blow pipes seem to need to be glass free from one bead to the next.
Some of my experiments:
Name:  IMG_3123.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  50.5 KB

This is a good little video that answered a number of questions for me.

https://youtu.be/SgaN1q4enk0
Old 2016-12-31, 8:56pm

Megan, those are amazing!!!!!!
Old 2016-12-31, 9:36pm

Smile

Wow! Those are gorgeous beads. What kind of blow pipe do you use?
Old 2017-01-06, 10:57am

Soooo Megan, do you jack down with diamond shears?
Old 2017-01-10, 6:21am

Hi, the diamond shears (or round shears) is used because with this kind of shears it's easier to cool down the "neck" of the bead in a even way and it may help to prevent any crack when you take off the bead from the blowing tube. As you know, with this technique you work with a very tiny glass that cools down very quickly and you have to do whatever you can to prevent termal shock. Also with a round shears it's easier to have a nice and round hole. If buying a professional diamond shear is too expensive in the begining you can try a cigars shears ( they are made of stainless steel too and have round blades).
Old 2017-01-11, 11:26pm

I'm using a ss tube and a blow hose. It is smaller than 1/4".
Old 2017-01-11, 11:33pm

I'm glad y'all liked the beads! I'm thinking I might try mini-jacks, as the diamond shears are kind of clunky, even though they're small. Sometimes they touch the bead, and there ya go.
Old 2017-01-12, 11:30am

Megan, that's the problem I'm having I think. The diamond shears touch the bead and chill it and leave a flat end. I was wondering why mini jacks aren't the tool of choice.
Old 2017-01-13, 5:23pm

Or a necking tool. I'll be trying both at some point. I need to figure out an adaptation of the gaffer bench technique for the torch. My bench is pretty messy, so that will be an issue. LOL