Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-23, 12:31pm

Default Argentium silver

Has anyone tried to work with Argentium silver ? Is it as good as advertised ? I'm on the point of ordering silver from RioGrande and I wonder if I should try it.
Thanks !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-11-23, 1:49pm
make beads not war

I've only worked with the sterling wire in argentium and I find it works well. Hasn't tarnished yet.
Old 2006-11-23, 9:18pm

I've also only worked with the wire, and I like it. I've made bunches and bunches of jump rings, and some chains, and I've got no complaints. I just read an article in the Lapidary Journal (December's issue) about yet another "new" silver. It's called Platinum Sterling, and is reported to be tarnish-resistant, too. There are apparently three grades of this silver, containing 1%, 3.5%, and 5% platinum. All, obviously, contain .925 fine silver.

I found it interesting that nowhere in the article was Argentium Sterling Silver mentioned. The article was saying that the Platinum Sterling is supposed to be a less expensive alternative to white gold, as traditional sterling isn't really used with fine gem stones, and white gold, because of its alloys, is hard and brittle.

Platinum Sterling is far more expensive than traditional and Argentium Sterling Silver. When the article was written, the price was $70 to $80 per ounce. While it's expensive, it doesn't come close to the price of gold.

This is probably far more than you wanted to know, but I thought I'd include it, not knowing what your applications might be. As for me, I'm sticking with the Argentium Sterling Silver.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-11-23, 9:57pm

Check out ganoksin.com It is a forum for both professionals and amateurs in the Jewelry trade. They have quite a bit of info on agentium in the archives. I have belonged to ganoksin for years, and I get their updates emailed to me every day. PM me your email address if you would like me to forward you a copy of the daily update. Oh, and it is a free forum just like lampworketc.

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-11-24, 12:54am
Entropy increasing....

One problem with using silver in fine jewelry - or jewelry with gemstones, like rings, is that when they need to be repaired. It much harder to repair silver jewelry than gold. Silver solder has to be heated so much more than the gold. Jewelers don't like to do it.
Old 2006-11-24, 2:03am

Thanks Eric. I used to check Ganoskin regularly years ago but I had forgotten about it. I found an interesting article on Argentium silver, to which I am putting a link for those interested:http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...um-testing.htm

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-11-24, 4:12am

Going offtopic slightly - in reply to Kevan. Its not really so much that one or the other needs more heat (in fact theres a very large variety of melting point solders for both gold and silver) - The bigger issue in my experience having worked for many years in jewelry repair - is that many "silver" jewellery items are less predictable on their melting point. Especially on the cheaper mass produced stuff.

Gold alloys tended to be easier to identify and apply the relevant grade of solder (hard - soft - easy etc etc) then for silver. (It is so tempting to just go with easy flow solder instead of doing the "right" thing)
Old 2006-11-24, 8:08am

In general wire-wrapping, I find that the Argentium is wonderful! It doesn't tarnish like the sterling and behaves the same way.

I was dissatisfied, though when I made headpins with the argentium by heating the ends to ball up the wire. I probably should have fluxed the ends, but didn't. A black firescale formed on them that I couldn't remove by my regular pickle (citric acid). I couldn't seem to polish it off either. So luckily, I made only a few to test it. I haven't tried again with it.

Cindy

Old 2006-11-24, 6:08pm
ManBearPig

I have used the Argentium and personally I don't like it. Yes, it does resist tarnishing, but I antique all my silver items to give them more depth, and Argentium doesn't take patinas very well, so it's of no use to me. Bright, shiny, monotone silver doesn't appeal to me at all...

Old 2006-11-25, 7:58pm

I have been using the argentium sterling from Rio. I really like it. I make viking knit bracelets and necklaces and they do not tarnish. If I am antiquing them I use regular sterling.
I also have made head pins out of argentium sterling silver. I had no problem getting the firescale to come right off. In fact there was not very much black stuff on them. They came out clean and was very much like using fine silver. I did notice one big difference. The ends did not ball up as easily. It was a little lumpy and off center. I have made head pins with sterling and fine silver also. I have had lots of practice. Argentium is not as easy to create a nice round ball on the bottom.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]