Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-09-03, 8:20am
one day at a time

Default can I use an extension cord with my kiln and do this safely??

I need to run an extension cord about 50 feet from the outlet to my studio to run my kiln. I have a Paragon 120v and I need to do this for a month or so while I'm scraping the cash together to upgrade the breaker box and create new dedicated circuits out there. I really have no choice and I have to get back to work, sigh....

Can I do this safely? I have read threads about this topic on other forums, and some say yay, some say nay. So once again, can it be done?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 2005-09-03, 8:28am

If you get 1 of those hevy duty cords with a high enough amp rating it can be done safely.
E
Old 2005-09-03, 8:41am
Crispy Critter

The kiln makers say NO, but my electrician says YES, if you use a heavy duty one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-03, 9:14am
one day at a time

Thanks! I feel a little less nervous about it now, and I do have one of those really heavy duty cords too.
Old 2005-09-03, 6:54pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes..... BUT... IT must be a heavy duty cord.... Check current draw on kiln (12 AMPS?)... Be sure cord is large enough capacity to handle amps kiln will draw.

Probably be a 12 Gauge cord. Be sure its three wire cord. If 12 gauge is not large enough (not enough capacity- in amps) go to a 10 gauge....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-09-05 at 8:38am.
Old 2005-09-05, 8:12am
Safety ALWAYS

Go with a 10 guage wire extension cord. You will probably have to 'build it yourself', no company that I am aware of sells extension cords with this guage.

You should be able to get the wire at Home Despot, Lowes, etc. as well as the male and female connectors.

I'm guessing that the kiln is 14 amps, not 12, and combined with the distance (50 feet) you will need to jump two guages, not one.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world