No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-27, 6:02pm
Virginia.

Default Help with possible new Store

Hi, I have a wonderful opportunity to open an Artglass Studio in downtown Bremerton. The building people are very excited- if I can get the cities approval - I can have the spot and they are going to spiff it up for me, so I can have torches, and teach, and do my beads, but also do my gold and silver jewelry.
The problem - it is an old building and does not have sprinklers. There is nothing in the city code that bans an open flame, but by 4:00 tomorrow I have to make a presentation that will convice the city, especially the fire department, that has wanted sprinklers in that building for years - that I will not set the place on fire.
The way it is set up, I can put three torches right in the window - put down metal sheeting and screw the torches in, so there will not be any movement, anywhere that anyone can reach over the flames, nothing to catch on fire. and there will be ventilation right above the torches to outside, and replacement air from behind.
Ok, now what I need is what else I can say to convince them I will not set the building on fire. I will have two fire extinguishers on either side of where we can torch. The building has natural gas - Larry Brickman told me there is a "box" that you need to install to get the pressure I need, and we will have everything professionally hooked up. Does someone know of a sight on-line, I can get information on that "box", and print something out for them. He is not home, and I think he is in Europe right now - I will keep trying, but would love if someone else knows.
I will be using oxygen concentrators, so there will be no danger there. Anything you can think of - I would so appreciate. the guy at the city, said that the fire department might just squash it to try to get the guy to put in sprinklers, but I know he is in no postion to do that finacially at this time, so it will just ruin my chance to do this. - Prayers would be appreciated too. I had another opportunity to do something like this a month ago,- and there is a gas station next door and the guy would not even listen to why it would never make it to the gas station. Anyway - thanks for any help you can give - Virginia
Old 2005-06-27, 7:10pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I think you're thinking of a gas booster. I didn't bookmark the site I saw them on because I decided to go with propane instead of natural gas. I think you need the increase in pressure, depending on the incoming pressure. I believe the pressure is usually higher in a commercial building area than in a residential area.

Maybe PM Tink? I am pretty sure she was in the thread with the gas booster info...

Good luck and I hope you get approved!

-M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-27, 8:20pm
Virginia.

Hi, I got a ton of info - looks like I won't even need a booster, cause I use a minor - most people were really pleased with the gas, straight from the line in. I am so excited - Won't know for a few weeks - wish it happened faster - Thanks again - Virginia
Old 2005-06-28, 3:49pm
Princess of Pi

Best of luck, Virginia - it's great that you're working on doing this!
Old 2005-06-28, 4:33pm
Boldly going

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but don't sign a lease unless you know for certain if you'll get an occupancy permit. Or, sign a lease with a null/void contingency if you are not granted an occupancy permit. I had a studio space for two months and had to move out cause the city would not grant an occupancy permit for the things I wanted to do in the space. They gave no reasoning, just said NO. So I moved out abruptly. Luckily the Landlord was not a hardass and understood completely. So, here I go looking for another spot.

Good luck with your place.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-06-28, 7:07pm
Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin's Glass Eye
I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but don't sign a lease unless you know for certain if you'll get an occupancy permit. Or, sign a lease with a null/void contingency if you are not granted an occupancy permit. I had a studio space for two months and had to move out cause the city would not grant an occupancy permit for the things I wanted to do in the space. They gave no reasoning, just said NO. So I moved out abruptly. Luckily the Landlord was not a hardass and understood completely. So, here I go looking for another spot.

Good luck with your place.
Thanks - I put the paper work in with the city - have an appointment with them on the 6th, and then I pleed my case - the building owner is aware that I need to have the city to approve - so we are not signing anything till it is all straightened out - He will be piping the nat gas in from the basement, and venting the front window - etc - so they don't want any paper or anything till I get approved. They said we can put in a fire system in the space if necessary - but there is no way I am paying for it - cause it will stay with the building - it is wait and see now - thanks for the good thoughts - and wishes of good luck - Virginia