Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-24, 10:44am

Default Checkerboard Murini

I am desperately seeking the best technique for making black and white checkerboard murini. I have tried and tried and the best I get so far is a nice black and white cane without sharp corners. The technique that I am trying is bundling the canes, then melting them together, then pulling. I have not tried the kiln formed cane, mostly because I don't know the detail how's of it.
Is there a tutorial I can purchase? Or can someone please help .
Thank everyone!
Bea
Old 2011-12-24, 12:39pm
I speak Murrini!

I work on a Hot Head and had pretty good success making a nice "checkerboard" murrini (pics below) using the following technique:

1. Start with a gather of black wrapped on the end of a 5/32" mandrel (or similar thicker one). I do better starting on the end of a mandrel rather than working with a rod which can sometimes get too soft with the ambient heat and droop!

2. I'd wrap about 4x around with my Black (I'd use "Hades" which is nice and dense), heat to melt them all smooth, then shape into a square.

3. Using White (I use plain old moretti White), add several layers to one side of the square; be careful not to let it droop over the sides of the Black. Keep adding, smoothing and shaping until you end up with a applied amount of white so that when squared up it is about the same size as the Black square you first built.

3. Be sure to square up the first applied Black square to hold it's shape, and keep it nice and toasty so it doesn't release from the mandrel or crack.

4. Do the same thing on the opposite side of the center Black square, so now you have a Black square built right on the mandrel, and a White square on each side of the foundation Black Square. This makes a longish rectangle - Black in the center and White on each size - which is easy to keep shaped with your Graphite paddle.

5. Now apply Black again moving back and forth (first one side, then the other) to build up two Black squares, one each side of one of the White ones you just created. Your gather now resembles a "T".

6. Heat the Black applications and square them up.

7. Now add White each side - butted right up against the two Black squares you just built and atop the center Black square you first created.

8. Lastly add your final two Black squares - one each side of the center-row-end White square you built in Step 3 above.

9. Heat and true up (flatten) each side of this now rather large checkered gather.

10. Now add clear all around this squared gather. You will need to add extra clear on the four flat sides so that you end up with the encasement being round in shape.

11. Add your handles or punties - removing the initial mandrel you built the gather on - as necessary. Just an FYI, I use the steel punties purchased from Noodlesaurus as these work best for me. Heat the gather all the way through to soft and pliable and pull into a rod.

Ta Da!!!

Here's pics of how mine came out using this method. I used red and white as they were meant for "gingham" murrini to add to my "Teddy Bear Picnic" series:

Hope this helps you out!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-12-24 at 1:27pm. Reason: Clarifying
Old 2011-12-24, 12:55pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow de, great murrini!!! You are SO awesome always and its so wonderful of you to share your instructions!!! Merry Christmas De!!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-12-24, 5:47pm

Oh, De! Thank you so much!! I am going to try this right now!!! Thank you so much. Hope your holiday is awesome!! Thanks again.
Bea
Old 2011-12-24, 9:33pm
I speak Murrini!

You're welcome Bea! It's the least I could do after your generous recent kindness to me!

Only wish I had pics to post with this too...or if you were closer, I'd come over and show 'ya! Still, I'm hoping I explained it well enough to make sense out of it, and that you have success! Let me know how it goes, ok? And if you (or anyone else who wants to try this) need any help or clarification, just HOLLER!!!!

Merry Holiday everyone!

Old 2011-12-25, 7:12pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Oh, lovely! They look like quilt blocks!
Old 2011-12-27, 11:02pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Robin!

I'm hoping to hear from Bea soon...whether she's had any luck with this recipe or not? I'm crossing my fingers for her!

Old 2011-12-29, 12:33pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

That is fabulous De, and very nice of you to share

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-12-29, 4:31pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

De, I always find it hard to believe you make such great murrini on a hot head. Are you a witch or something?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-29, 11:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Aimee! I dunno...but I sure love working hot glass! I do believe it's my most favorite of all the artistic mediums I've ever tried...and I've never been one to stop when told "You can't do THAT with...(insert roadblock word(s) of choice here!)" I LOVE MY HOT HEAD!

Old 2016-12-03, 2:58pm

Hi
Corina has a video on her web site.
Corinna.com
penny5658
Old 2016-12-03, 4:53pm
Loving learning

(Penny, I sent you a private message and posted to you in the press game)