No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-01, 10:37pm
I ate a big red candle!

Default Resist for etching

So, I've tried elmers glue, acrylic paint, nail polish and used two different etching cremes. I'm trying to etch a transparent bead with metallic dots. I've been trying to mask the metallic dots and etching the beads so it's like metallic on sea glass.

Each time I do it the resist seems to work ok, but it takes off the metallic finish. I've tried leaving it in the etching creme or etching crystals for different lengths of time along with a few different methods of resist and I'm still having the same issue.

Anybody had any luck with this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-07-02, 6:13am
Sorry for party rockin'

I have!
I used that green etch resist gel made by Etch-All . . . . I'll see if I can find my picture but it was a wheelie bead, etched, and I masked off some metallic bumps with it.

Old 2012-07-02, 11:32am

have you tried sticky back paper labels for resist? You could punch out circles and apply over the dots. I haven't tried it on metallics, YMMV
Old 2012-07-02, 3:11pm

I've noticed that a lot of the silver glass won't etch. Have you tried just leaving it alone?
Old 2012-07-02, 3:13pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn L'Rhe View Post
I've noticed that a lot of the silver glass won't etch. Have you tried just leaving it alone?
Unfortunately I have and it takes off the metallic.

I'm sure using a sticker or something would work, but I'd like to be able to use it in the future for covering metallic scroll designs, so I was hoping to find something to cover a more complex pattern.

Next time I order some stuff maybe I'll try the resist etch. I always thought it was the same as elmer's glue, but I've never actually tried it.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-07-04, 7:50am
Glass-aholic

Cheap puff paint. The stuff you decorate t-shirts with in summer camp. It's a dollar a bottle, and peals off with ease but stays on strong. I swear by it. Just mix well, and some of it can be a bit watery. Use the thicket stuff and let completely dry. Use the applicator on the bottle or a toothpick.

I like pink... But that's a personal preference. Well sort of. I like the really bright colors because I always know exactly where it was applied. I think they make it in clear too if you want to see what's under the paint

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2012-07-04 at 7:52am.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:38am

I was going to ask, when you use Elmer's glue, how are you removing it?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-06, 6:16am
Glass-aholic

You just peel it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-06, 6:30am

Maybe if you try soaking in water to remove it it won't peel off the metallic coating too.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-07-06, 7:48pm
I ate a big red candle!

I had a few suggestions , but I used a hot glue gun just cause I had it handy and that didn't take off the metal and worked fine for a resist

Not the easiest to work with, but did the job for simple dots.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-07-06, 8:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Great minds think alike! heehee.. I've been thinking about doing this too in the last couple weeks. One thing I did discover...I've never really used Sasha's Silver before, so I made an ivory bead and some SS scrolls, etched it and the SS stayed shiny! I love the look. I would like to try the etch-all resist too.

Old 2012-11-10, 12:00am
More ideas than talent

I just tried a silver paint pen as a resist. Reporting failure on that one. The etch took off the silver paint as well.

I can't draw a straight line to save my life with the nail polish.

Must check to see if we have any fabric puff paint in the cupboard. Guaranteed to be over 10 years old if I d o.

Old 2012-11-10, 1:44am
sorcerer

bees wax

Old 2012-11-10, 2:27am
Alaska Boro

Bees wax could be used the same way as Ukrainian Easter eggs are made. The wax is heated in a stylus and drawn on the egg. Should work for etched bead caps.

For an image of the stylus see
http://www.learnpysanky.com/supplies.html

These can be home made with a wood dowel and a sheet of thin brass stock that is rolled into a cone. Then heat with a candle and draw.
Old 2012-11-13, 10:16pm

I experienced it by cleaning the glass surface thoroughly to remove any dirt, I use oils and grease maintain it clean throughout the whole project. I Use water base pigment ink, use a rubber stamp and leaf to make a direct print onto the glass. I work with cylindrical glass objects, It was often more easy for me to accomplished by rolling the glass over the stamp than to roll the stamp around the glass. Than I dust this ink image with a detail grade embossing powder. I use a small brush to remove any renegade specks and heat.Finally I resist to the etching cream.

Old 2012-11-13, 10:21pm

We use spraypaint at school. We scrape the paint off were we want the acid to etch. After etching we use acitone to remove the paint. This works on silver,nickle,brass,copper, and glass.
Steve

Old 2012-11-14, 4:39am

@Heather - I use nail polish, but haven't tried it over metallic. How did you remove the masking material? If you used nail polish remover, maybe that took away the metallic finish?

Just a thought...

Moni