Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-12-01, 8:32pm
Loving learning

With or without the cognac ?
Old 2013-12-01, 8:49pm
Senior Moment

LOL

Could imagine with!? Whooooosh!

Although, it would give me something to do with it...I don't drink alcohol and hubby is more of a pub beer drinker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-12-03, 6:00am

a tin coffee container, should I use glass? I don't save the glass that goes in there, too small, but when a rod shock breaks from the heat ( not too often) I wait till cool and add to my save glass jar where when i get enough will make into frit. Hubby just got the metal rods and caps and made me a frit buster yeah
Old 2013-12-03, 8:36am
Loving learning

I'm thinking anything that works is good, you just have to watch for the rust to go through so you don't come out to a puddle on your worktop I'd think.
Old 2013-12-03, 9:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I'm thinking anything that works is good, you just have to watch for the rust to go through so you don't come out to a puddle on your worktop I'd think.
Just dont use water at all. It is really not necessary and it always seems to spatter on work at the worst times.
Old 2013-12-03, 8:50pm

I use a glazed flower pot which used to house some tropical plant that my wife bought and killed The pot has a nice wide footprint so I can't knock it over and is squatty but holds about 3 to 4 cups water and is also pretty thick. I've smacked 38 mm rod on it to break off bad glass no problem.

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2013-12-03, 8:57pm
Loving learning

Larry, it comes in handy when I am not careful, & get my fingers hot. I've never spattered any on my work, maybe because I use deep instead of wide ones? I don't use it a lot, never dunk my beads, but I do use it to cool my tools, shock glass of metal punties or the end off a stringer sometimes.
Old 2013-12-05, 4:51pm

I use an old glass jelly jar... The kind with cartoons on them. I think I am using dr Seuss.

Jen
Old 2013-12-07, 1:08pm

Red Solo Cup! Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-12-07, 2:24pm
Loving learning

Julie, did you enter the give away I'm doing in the game room? My pottery pieces aren't perfect, but they won't get holes in them from hot mandrels!
Old 2013-12-07, 2:27pm

Oh! No I didn't. I must go check it out. Awesome !!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Julie, did you enter the give away I'm doing in the game room? My pottery pieces aren't perfect, but they won't get holes in them from hot mandrels!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-12-09, 9:04pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Just dont use water at all. It is really not necessary and it always seems to spatter on work at the worst times.
That's brilliant advice....for just pieces you're pulling off for tweezers and assuming you clean it out each time and nothing crawled in there since the last time you were in the shop.

But if you need to crack something off the end of a rod or quick cool the tip of a tool, you'll want water.

|
|
Old 2013-12-10, 3:59am
Feminist Killjoy

I use a large glass spaghetti sauce jar.
Old 2013-12-10, 10:34am

I find these three guys appropriate for dunking. .... Plus the opening is wide enough for my hand/fingers from time to time....
Attached Images

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2013-12-10, 10:55am
Loving learning

Chuck, that is perfect!
Old 2013-12-10, 9:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post

But if you need to crack something off the end of a rod or quick cool the tip of a tool, you'll want water.
I just rap the end of the rod on the edge of the cup and the tip breaks off at the stress line between the hot and cold regions. I never put tools in water. Never needed water at all. Try it you might be surprised.
Old 2013-12-11, 4:53am

I use a ss bowl. It's durable. Not too heavy and I never worry about burn through or cracking.

Old 2013-12-17, 6:16am
Now part of the Dark Side

Old green bean can. When it gets yucky I drain it and throw it glass and all. Easily replaced.
Old 2013-12-19, 5:54pm

I use an old plastic see through container. Like seeing the pieces! I don't drop the mandrel in until after the glass breaks off. Then I dump the water after every torching into any potted plant outside. Decorates the dirt!!

Old 2013-12-31, 7:28pm

Stainless steel bowl large enough to dunk my hand in here... should there be a need, of course. Anything that goes into it is trash/scrap glass, I scoop it and fill a yogurt container so I can at least close the container before trashing it.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-01-01, 10:31am

I use a bottle cutter to recycle wine bottles. Sand the top with 80 grit sand paper to get rid of any sharp ridge where you have cut the top off and they make perfect holders for scrap glass, glass rods , stringers, punties, etc. I cut them to all different heights to fit what ever I am using them for. A great way to recycle.

Glenda
Old 2014-01-01, 1:49pm

Glass Klausen pickle jar here. We eat a lot of pickles

Old 2014-01-06, 7:27pm
Sam I Am

I use small wide mouth canning jars for water on the table but I don't do burial at sea so I have sand buckets and a mwetal coffee can for unwanted hot glass.

Old 2014-01-07, 5:13am

I use chipped soup and salad bowls. I like the wide mouth for burns too being me... i empty it and fill it each time cos i like it clean and I worry mozzys will breed in it otherwise.
Old 2014-01-13, 11:49am
Practicing perfect

If you are talking about the bead gone wrong dunk, I use an old olive jar because it's tall and the water doesn't evaporate and no pets can get their nose in it. When I get ready to dump, I usually put a paper towel in strainer and dump, then I wad up the paper towel and toss glass and release in the trash.

For frit, I use an almost flat bottom stainless steall bowl I stole from my kitchen because I like to try to mash some of the bigger bits down with a pestal.

Old 2014-01-24, 12:04pm

i went from using quart size mason jars, to using an empty salsa jar (free, great price) but got sick of breaking them when i tap off.
now i use a large soup can, well, kidney bean can. it's the right price, and won't break if dropped or manhandled too much.
Old 2014-01-24, 12:49pm

Kinda surprised by this thread and how many folks are OK with quenching a burn in old stale water. I never quench a burn as I find it just causes it to blister which only increases the time required to heal. Anyone worry about infection?
Old 2014-01-24, 12:58pm

I use a stainless steel can I got at Walmart or Kmart in the kitchen section about 10 years ago after I got sick of my glass jars breaking on me
Old 2014-01-24, 3:18pm
Loving learning

Larry, I never thought about it, just looked for something cool to stick it in. The skin wasn't broken on any I could fit in there and my water isn't usually too bad, I change it out every few sessions.
I can see that if the skin was broken that would be questionable though, but I've only had two, and both on my forearm, and didn't fit inside a bowl.
Old 2014-01-27, 9:04am
honorary bead lady

HAHAHAHAHA I had used a plastic peanut butter jar, and yes they have peed all over the counter, now I use a metal can