LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-10-19, 10:13pm
*glass spaz*

Corinne, that is a great frit set up, very clever and keeps everything accessible for when the whim hits you. You should send pictures of your set up to that company. Maybe they'll credit you for the idea, and send you some complimentary tins for other projects and more frit! I'll bet they never thought of using their products for something like this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-22, 12:52am

Here's my storage sollution.

Old 2005-10-25, 4:48pm

Hey Blair,

Do you have a picture of your frit setup?
Old 2005-10-26, 10:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid
Here's my storage sollution.
Last night I decided I wanted to use something like this. Did you make your shelves or buy them? Is that pvc? It looked thinner than mine.
Old 2005-10-26, 12:09pm

I've bought them and yes it is pvc. Now remember I live in The Netherlands, so things tend to look slightly different (thinner or whatever) because for some stupid reasons the world decided that it would absolutely NOT be fun, convenient or something like that to make things compatible with each other. Much more fun if everyone invented their own way and put the screwthreat on the inside at one part of the world, and on the outside in the other part of the world. If you know what I mean.
I've bougth the shelves at Ikea. You do have that store in the US, but I have no idea if they carry the same stuff. The pvc things are our rainpipes cut into pieces by nice store-people. (We are a rainy country so we have lots and lots and lots of rainpipes)
i really like this system. It works for me and it is pretty inexpensive.
Old 2005-10-26, 1:03pm
Viking Flame Keeper

Hiiiiiiiiii Astrid!

Nice to see you here!

Rainpipes, huh! Cool idea. I bet I could find that here pretty cheap as well. It rains quite a lot here in Scandinavia too.

My father in law is busy trying to figure something out for me. He's retired and I feel it's my obligation as a dutiful daughter in law to keep him busy!
Anyway, we are going to visit them next weekend and hopefully I'll bring something home with me.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-26, 3:18pm

Ikea here I come. I thought the beauty was if I changed to a built in storage unit or anything I could use the shelves for so many other things.

Thanks.
Nancy
Old 2005-10-27, 3:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikki
Hiiiiiiiiii Astrid!

Nice to see you here!

Rainpipes, huh! Cool idea. I bet I could find that here pretty cheap as well. It rains quite a lot here in Scandinavia too.

My father in law is busy trying to figure something out for me. He's retired and I feel it's my obligation as a dutiful daughter in law to keep him busy!
Anyway, we are going to visit them next weekend and hopefully I'll bring something home with me.
Hey Kikki!!

How are you doing? It is so nice to hear from you again.
Been practising a lot? (shame, shame, I could do better on that part, but time.....it kind of slips away at the moment)
Let me know how you're doing.

Astrid
Old 2005-11-03, 10:09am
Creative Spirit

Default Rod storage

My Partner built this Rod storage for me from drain pipe, and it works like a charm!

Peace
Wendy
Old 2005-11-03, 10:12am
Creative Spirit

oopps trying to figure out how to make the pic's smaller!

Wendy
Old 2005-11-03, 10:21am
Creative Spirit

Default Storage

Peace
Wendy
Old 2005-11-03, 12:55pm

I was lucky when I moved into my studio there was an old section of cabnet I jsut had to get the fencing sections to fill it up the bottom section is Moretti and the top Bullseye. Tanya
Old 2005-11-03, 1:00pm

Okay trying to upload the picture again. Tanya
Old 2005-11-03, 1:01pm

I will get this right yet. Tanya
Old 2006-01-10, 4:36pm
I fart diamonds

bump

Old 2006-01-10, 5:27pm
Space Cadet

Thought I'd jump in on this one. Until last week all of my rods were in upright spaghetti containers on the end of the workspace. Not anymore ........ this is what it looks like now.
Told DH that it looks too empty, I'll have to get more glass. He's soooo impressed with that idea.

Sally

Last edited by *Sally*; 2011-02-21 at 3:37pm.
Old 2006-01-11, 9:20am

I just found my solution to this, here at my day job. Im a draftman and we do a lot of plotting. At the center of each ream of 36" wide roll of paper is a very hardy(1/4" thick wall) cardboard roll. I have two different diameters rolls (2" and 3"). If you are looking for a cheap way I'd bet you could get these rolls for free from any copy or graphics company.
Old 2006-01-12, 10:35am
Farewell promises nothing

I found 2" drafting tubes on sale at Staples a few months ago. I bought a bunch and cut them into thirds. I then taped 10 of these shorter tubes together in a pyramid style (four, then three, then two etc) with a triangular piece of cardboard taped to one end to stop the rods from sliding straight through.

I then sorted my glass into each of the three sets of tubes, one of basic colours like white, black and ivory and the other two split between warm and cool colours. The sets of tubes sit on the floor beside me upright and I can grab whatever colour I feel the urge to use. I work on my couch and coffee table close to the ground, so they are a good height, otherwise I would suggest placing them on a short bench to keep the tops of the rods no higher than elbow height while you're working.

I find this set up works very well for smaller amounts of glass and it is easy to move around which set you want closest and takes up very little space (much less than having them lying horizontally like most of the examples above). The only downside is that once the shorts get to about 6" in length, they are hard to pull out of the upright tubes.
Old 2006-01-13, 9:08am

A word of caution when building your glass rack. WEIGHT is an important factor. Glass is very heavy, make sure that what ever you put your rack on is strong enough to support the combined weight. OK so don't ask me how I know. just take my word for it if it isn't strong enough you will end up with a cazillion bits of glass all over the floor and tears in your eyes from all of it that has to be thrown out or used for multi color frit
Liz R.
Old 2006-01-13, 9:47pm

Default So very helpful

Everyone is so creative & so very helpful.
Old 2006-01-15, 9:22pm

Default Glass Storage Area is finished

Here is the glass storage area that I just finished today. The box holding the pvc downspout and drainpipe is 48" long by 16" tall, by 15.5" deep. It is made out of .75 inch plywood and supported by 3 extra heavy duty shelf brackets. (I tend to seriously over-engineer stuff.) The first section starting on the left is for Moretti, the second is for Bullseye, and the third is for Boro. I will finish putting the rest of the glass in the rack as soon as it is done being cleaned.

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-01-22, 7:03am
Viking Flame Keeper

This is how my storage shelf finally turned out. The compartments are 2"x2" which is a perfect size for me.
At the moment it holds all of my Effetre, Vetrofond and Lauscha pastels, about a fourth of my Effetre transparants and my tiny amount of schampoo glass (the row at the very right). I have asked my FIL to build me another one just like this so I can organise the rest of the transparants, the little Bullseye I have and the boro I'm going to buy.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-01-26, 11:59am
JOAT, Master of None

I love this thread!
Old 2006-01-31, 10:59am
In the line of fire

Here's our frit storage. The photo was taken to show the ventilation system, so sorry if the narrow Ikea shelves don't show up so well. Lots of spice jars and baby food jars so we can see it all at once.

And here's the glass which is behind the workbench so we can just turn around while working and grab another color. I want to change from round pipe to square eventually. It's all wedged between a chest of drawers and upper caninets that hold even more supplies/beads/tools...

Robyn

Old 2006-01-31, 3:03pm
Farewell promises nothing

The storage shelves at IKEA are customizable. When I have the funds and space, I am going to buy the wine rack shelves. Those will securely hold a wine bottle size pipe and stop it from sliding from side to side.
Old 2006-02-15, 11:54am

Quote:
........ Anyway, yes, the stringers are in an ice cube tray. The shape of those are tube and I got it at Walmart. Works great for long stringers/twisties BUT the short pieces are hard to see.......Debbie A.
I use shot glasses for the short ones! But I'm gonna have to look for that ice tray! Sorry that pic is so bad. It was the same size as the other and I had to keep making it smaller. It said it was too big.
Attached Images

Last edited by Beadazoid; 2006-02-15 at 12:29pm.
Old 2006-02-18, 7:30am
phrit phreak

What a fun thread! There's some great ideas out there! I'll post mine as soon as I get ANOTHER pic...lost all my pics on my hard drive...I'm the worse at backing up.
xoxo
lori

Old 2006-02-18, 4:03pm

Well not only am I jealous of your storage but look at all of that glass!!! I am a green eyed monster right now! I have about 8 pieces of pvc pipe and they are not even full!

Old 2006-03-01, 11:23am

Great Ideas everyone! Reading this thread I am reminded of something I saw years ago in a Popular Mechanics mag. In an article called "Wordless workshop". Screw/nail lids from empty baby food jars to the bottom of a shelf, then just screw the jar onto the lid. You can see the contents and it is at your fingertips out of the way. I tend to dump mine often!!!. You could also use any jar with a metal lid, relish, jelly, any size that would suit your needs. Pam
Old 2006-03-01, 2:50pm

how deep do most of you cut the actual containers for these/ It seems to me that the glass rods at my first class were quite a bit shorter than the ones i bought through the mail. I'm wondering if it's mis-memories or different suppliers cutting differently.

I don't want to cut inefficiently- but I'd love to get my small amount of glass off the counter