LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-26, 11:18am

Default Luster Glass in CoE 104?

Is there any luster glass in CoE 104 that does the reduce to a metallic / irridiscent sheen like the Bullseye luster glass? I really don't want to start collecting another CoE glass. If so, what brand / name / number and do you have any photos? Or does any of the Moretti, Lauscha or the new ASK / DH / R4 glasses do this & I just haven't figured it out yet? Thanks, ~Juliet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 2006-11-26, 12:03pm

Don't know what the Bullseye looks like, but you get a lovely iridescent lustre with Gaia from Double Helix.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-26, 12:12pm
I've got goodies!

Effetre Silver Plum (Light & Dark), ASK Silver Rattan, Silver Cinnamon and Caramel Apple. All of the DH and all of the R4.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-11-26, 2:48pm

Mary, those are fabulous colors! Did you reduce the bead to get them to show up as oil slicks?
Shawnette - thanks for the list! I have some of the plum in my glass closet and one of the tan ASK (gotta look up the number I forget which!)
Thanks! ~Juliet

Old 2006-11-26, 2:56pm

Juliet, Yes that's Gaia on black, lightly reduced. It's hard to show, but the whole decoration has a blue/magenta lustre, very pretty! I get it with Kronos too, but mostly with Gaia.

Old 2006-11-26, 7:43pm
Missing presumed fed

To get the iridescence with Gaia, you do a very light reducing flame. To get the metallic effects with the silver plums, you want more oxygen (an oxidizing flame, not a reducing flame).

I get blues out of Kronos but not really iridescence (except as a faint trace). It takes a lot more work than Gaia does. I've barely touched the R4 glass (despite Shawnette's kind gift of a few samples) so I can't offer any hints.

For real metallic effects, you want reduction glass (which I always think of as reduction frit, because until recently, you pretty much had to buy it as frit and pull it into stringer if you wanted stringer). It's a different COE (96-ish), but I don't worry about it as a different COE except for making extra sure that any raised decoration is really firmly attached. If you're going for metallic/iridescent effects, you're using the glass as a surface treatment, so you don't need to use enough of it to cause a major incompatibility issue, and you're not going to want to encase it anyway.
Old 2006-11-28, 8:17pm

Thanks for the tips Mary & Emily! ~Juliet

Old 2006-11-28, 8:47pm

Just to throw in my two cents ... While I don't have any of the R4 colors (yet!), the Gaia is so super easy to use and to get reactions like Mary posted. It's my favorite silver glass, at least so far!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-11-28, 9:01pm

You can also get neat effects by dipping your bead in lt iris gold powder or iris gold powder. And then slightly reducing it. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !