Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-22, 10:37am
HourGlass Studio

Default OPAL YELLOW - old v.s. new ?

Which do you all prefer and why ?

What colors do you love using them with and any neat color reactions ?

What are the major differences between them ?

I want to try some but dont want to order stuff I am not going to use, and I am moving so I wont get to try any till about mid August as ALL my torching equipment is packed away as of last night. UGH !!

So all your help is really appreciated.

Laurie L
Old 2005-06-22, 10:43am
koregon

I was just thinking of this today

I ordered some cuz I needed it this last order...and got this pale stuff...very pale...its different..almost looks khaki pulled as stringer...I was so used the the very yellow stuff...so I called and asked for some of the old opal yellow/the dark...well then I got these rods that looks like dark khaki...but they change color...so heck, I am all confused...I got so used to the pretty yellow opal yellow...and want some more of that.

they all have great properties if used in certain ways...depending on length in the flame and so forth..the old one gets some great color reactions..

but I WANT some of the YELLOW....whine.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-22, 10:48am
HourGlass Studio

Interesting....maybe I should just try a rod of each and go from there, I was also wondering where to buy trans copper blure or trans coopper green ? I am not sure if those are even colors but I gave seen some lovely beads made with that blue green color and wanted to try that aswell.

Anyone know the name and # and where to buy it ?
Old 2005-06-22, 11:00am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Interesting....maybe I should just try a rod of each and go from there, I was also wondering where to buy trans copper blure or trans coopper green ? I am not sure if those are even colors but I gave seen some lovely beads made with that blue green color and wanted to try that aswell.

Anyone know the name and # and where to buy it ?
Laurie, Could you be talking about the new vetrofond colors. In the Green Sea there is a Transparent color in there but it can go opaque also. Can stay transparent if worked and can play both ways in the same bead from what I am being told. There is a thread in the tech about the new vetrofond colors.

Other than that I have not heard about Copper green or Blue Transparents. There is a Green Sage Transparent. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and definatly not the last.
There is a great copper blue frit.

On the opal yellow, I have a little tiny bit of the very dark old stuff that came looking very dark brown. Each batch after seemed a bit different. I have not ordered it in a while so I don't have any of the pale opal yellow. Still one of my favorite colors, as it is reactive and as a organic bead maker, I couldn't ask for more in a color.
Old 2005-06-22, 11:04am
HourGlass Studio

Actually I think Kaye used a blue green color in her Sea Siren beads. Thats pretty much the color I am after. I am pretty sure its not the new odd lots. But I could be wrong. There is always a first - LOL
Old 2005-06-22, 11:52am
koregon

Nope...Kaye used a base of blue glass with copper blue "Frit" from Val
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Actually I think Kaye used a blue green color in her Sea Siren beads. Thats pretty much the color I am after. I am pretty sure its not the new odd lots. But I could be wrong. There is always a first - LOL

Old 2005-06-22, 11:53am
koregon

here is a photo of the three kinds of opal yellow.
top is the yellow, which I am so fond of.
middle is the dark opal yellow, which I asked for when they sent me the below light "new batch" opal yellow. The dark did do some intersting things. I think it might of been the batch before the yellow stuff that we are used to that was in the middle there for a long time/when ordering glass.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-22, 12:44pm
It's time to sparkle

My first time ordering opal yellow was with the pale stuff. At first I turmed it all pale ivory, LOL. So when I found some of the old dark opal yellow at Frantz' booth at the Bead & Button this last week, i scooped it up.

In case anyone here doesn't know already, the way to coax out the maximum amount of color from opal yellow is to turn the oxy way down and use a lot of propane-similar to a hothead flame.

I hope they manage to make the dark stuff again, but sure seems to be a variable color! It's as bad as coral.

Jude
Old 2005-06-22, 1:11pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye
Nope...Kaye used a base of blue glass with copper blue "Frit" from Val

Ah so very sneeky I will have to try that. I just love the color !!

And thanks for the pics of opal yellow !! And info on it. That really helped !!
Old 2005-06-22, 3:29pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I have some of all three types like Kaye and I like them all. Any of them are worth the buy. It is one of the colors I cannot live without.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-06-22, 3:48pm
koregon

I am amazed at this color really.
each shade, can do a different thing.

on raku that darkest middle rod...is what made my cool flowers in the puffy pillow set...it turned from coral to salmon pint to golden yellow....it was awesome

Old 2005-06-22, 4:56pm
Administrator

Kaye, where did you get the dark stuff? I need to get some! I only have yellow stuff that stays only yellow

Old 2005-06-22, 6:03pm
koregon

Hi Corri
I got it at Frantz...I was on the phone asking questions about it...and asked if they had any of the darker stuff...thinking I was going to get the yellow/instead of the pale.
it came/they are larger rods...$40 a pound, they sold me one pound...very cool...opal yellow is one of my top colors I love to pieces...a must in my studio, along with copper green...rubino, ink blue transparent...new violet...

Old 2005-06-23, 5:07am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
I am amazed at this color really.
each shade, can do a different thing.

on raku that darkest middle rod...is what made my cool flowers in the puffy pillow set...it turned from coral to salmon pint to golden yellow....it was awesome
Wow! I was wondering what color that was. I thought maybe it was one of the new vetrofond colors, as I know coral and pink do not come out like that on raku. COOL!!!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-06-23, 8:10pm
HourGlass Studio

I went to my local glass shop to see what they had for opal yellow...$8.00 per 13" rod. My jaw hit the floor. I asked if it was priced incorrectly as its only $40 / pound us. They said nope....but they could give me a deal of $5.00 per 13"rod if I bought 10 or more...WOW are they crazy or what.

I politely said no thank you. Man do we get burned on glass here !!
Old 2005-06-23, 8:47pm
koregon

hi Laurie
I was charged $40 from Frantz on the dark I bought this last time..but it was a small order with the new vetrofond odd lots...so not a lot of poundage discount...but year...gosh, that seems more than $40 a pound thou / price per rod.

When I was selling streaky pink..it was selling for ten bucks a rod...heck, I can't pull myself to use it when I can get that much for it.

Old 2005-06-23, 8:50pm
Administrator

It is all about what people will pay. I would pay $8 per rod if I got the kind Kaye is getting those beautiful colors out of!

Old 2005-06-23, 11:14pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn
It is all about what people will pay. I would pay $8 per rod if I got the kind Kaye is getting those beautiful colors out of!
Hey Corri, I think i have a rod of the dark...let me peek, I will throw it in your box...if it is indeed that...

Old 2005-06-24, 4:09pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
hi Laurie
I was charged $40 from Frantz on the dark I bought this last time..but it was a small order with the new vetrofond odd lots...so not a lot of poundage discount...but year...gosh, that seems more than $40 a pound thou / price per rod.

When I was selling streaky pink..it was selling for ten bucks a rod...heck, I can't pull myself to use it when I can get that much for it.

Yeah I normally order ALL my glass from the USA - way way way cheaper even after the duty, GST, postal charges etc... most of the time anyways. Only problem is that I want some dark and some yellow and when I cant see what I am ordering it drives me crazy till it arrives, and I have been really dissapointed with some of the glass I have ordered. Ordered dark pink, told it was really really dark and low and behold it looks just like my lite pink (260), I even called to ask if they sent 260 by mistake instead od 256. They sent a rod of 256 and its the same color. So 256 and 260 look alike to me, had I known I would not have ordered it. WANT really dark pink - buy vetro I was told...so I am waiting to see what is coming. "Is it dark" we'll see.

I have a store credit that I have been using to buy my glass with and I have almost used it up. (here in Canada) But will go ahead and order the dark yellow opal they say they have. They said it was the really really old stuff from way back...so who knows what I will get ? Surprises are kinda scary sometimes. LOL