Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-19, 3:46am
Noobie

Default Turning black and perwinkle silver

I got this recipe from Corina beadmakers challenge -Not Witchcraft
Ive tried this and have annealed at 960 and at 920. Below is the link and the statement that gemfox made to make the recipe turn silver. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I cut about an inch of ea. color and have tried using more perwinkle and vice versa to get this to work..I have to be doing something wrong, but I dont know what..any suggestions?

Link:
http://www.gemfox.com/corinabeads/ch...bmissionID=186

"Base is ink blue over white, squeezed, detailed with stringer pulled from a homogenous mix of Moretti periwinkle 220 and Moretti black 064. I don't know what happens in my kiln that turns it silver!"
Old 2008-06-19, 5:19am
Resident hippie

Gosh it is a lovely effect. I hope someone knows the secret and is prepared to share!

Beadanna
Old 2008-06-19, 5:42am
Glass my new Obsession

I wanna know too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-19, 5:44pm
It's all about the color.

I've never been able to get the mix to do that (and I've tried). I wonder if it was something specific to a certain batch?

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-06-19, 8:02pm
Life is change. Love it

She must have a reduction atmosphere in her kiln

Old 2008-06-20, 7:21am
California grrl

Default Ohhhhhhhhhh loverly !

So how do I get a reduction goin on in my kiln ?
Old 2008-06-21, 9:39pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
I got this recipe from Corina beadmakers challenge -Not Witchcraft
Ive tried this and have annealed at 960 and at 920. Below is the link and the statement that gemfox made to make the recipe turn silver. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong? I cut about an inch of ea. color and have tried using more perwinkle and vice versa to get this to work..I have to be doing something wrong, but I dont know what..any suggestions?

Link:
http://www.gemfox.com/corinabeads/ch...bmissionID=186

"Base is ink blue over white, squeezed, detailed with stringer pulled from a homogenous mix of Moretti periwinkle 220 and Moretti black 064. I don't know what happens in my kiln that turns it silver!"
have you tried waving the bead thru a reduction flame a bit before popping it into the kiln?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-06-22, 6:48am
Noobie

No, but ill try that, there is also something on corinnas website about mixing the colors, but it didn't read anything about the colors turning silver. I didnt notice that foxxys email is at the end of the page on the witchcraft site..so Im going to try emailing her/him.
Old 2008-06-23, 9:03am
Who me?

I had a batch (2-3 years ago) of Moretti black that did the silver thing like dark silver plum in a oxygen rich flame. Wonder if she was using an old batch of that black to make it do this?
Old 2008-06-23, 10:35am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I had a batch (2-3 years ago) of Moretti black that did the silver thing like dark silver plum in a oxygen rich flame. Wonder if she was using an old batch of that black to make it do this?

Vetrofond black does this. I have some animal print beads made with a twistie of Vetrofond black and light ivory and there is a very distinct silver line that is caused by the black.

I bet CIM Hades black would work also.

Try mixing either of those with the periwinkle and see what you get!

Old 2008-06-24, 4:12pm

Default I wish I could tell ya!

Hey everyone! How's it goin? I don't do anything special in the flame [that i'm aware of!] for these beads. It comes out that way after a night in the kiln. I dunno what exactly is going on in there, serendipity often takes over. It seems that the moretti periwinkle/black mix turns silver in there. However, when I reduce gold pink in the flame on a [different] bead, it just doesn't want to stay gold after a night in the kiln. I've been trying to be as observant as possible to try and gain control of it, and here are some of my guesses:

When i open the kiln door repeatedly while working, putting beads in throughout the session, maybe it's sucking in oxygen, perhaps taking away my reduction. Maybe whatever takes the reduction out from my rubino is what's turning the peri/black into silver.

Ever stack dots with black and melt in, and then after annealing, the black has like, a silver lining around it? I think sage stringer on moretti black does that too - where it has silver linings. I'm guessing it's the silver in the dark purple (moretti black) that contributes...

I'll tell you one thing though - if i make a batch of beads with peri/black stringer, it seems that the beads I made first are more likely to turn silver, and the ones I made last don't really. That's why I suspect that it has something to do with the opening/closing of the kiln door.

Good luck! Have fun nipping the mystery in the bud

Old 2008-06-25, 2:32am
Noobie

Thanx

I will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Vetrofond black does this. I have some animal print beads made with a twistie of Vetrofond black and light ivory and there is a very distinct silver line that is caused by the black.

I bet CIM Hades black would work also.

Try mixing either of those with the periwinkle and see what you get!
Old 2008-06-25, 2:35am
Noobie

Hi,
Thanx for your reply...I think Kseeber has some tips on turning ruby, Ill see if I can find it.
Im going to keep trying this just b/c I love the look of silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemFOX View Post
Hey everyone! How's it goin? I don't do anything special in the flame [that i'm aware of!] for these beads. It comes out that way after a night in the kiln. I dunno what exactly is going on in there, serendipity often takes over. It seems that the moretti periwinkle/black mix turns silver in there. However, when I reduce gold pink in the flame on a [different] bead, it just doesn't want to stay gold after a night in the kiln. I've been trying to be as observant as possible to try and gain control of it, and here are some of my guesses:

When i open the kiln door repeatedly while working, putting beads in throughout the session, maybe it's sucking in oxygen, perhaps taking away my reduction. Maybe whatever takes the reduction out from my rubino is what's turning the peri/black into silver.

Ever stack dots with black and melt in, and then after annealing, the black has like, a silver lining around it? I think sage stringer on moretti black does that too - where it has silver linings. I'm guessing it's the silver in the dark purple (moretti black) that contributes...

I'll tell you one thing though - if i make a batch of beads with peri/black stringer, it seems that the beads I made first are more likely to turn silver, and the ones I made last don't really. That's why I suspect that it has something to do with the opening/closing of the kiln door.

Good luck! Have fun nipping the mystery in the bud