Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-10, 8:05pm

Default Too Extreme?

Maybe somebody can help me. Does the following testing for a 12mm soft glass bead seem extreme?

Drop cold beads into boiling water for 5 minutes, them in ice water for 5 minutes and then dropped four inches onto a steel plate.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2012-04-10, 8:13pm

Mike! You forgot to add the radiation part of the test! LOL

LynieG
Old 2012-04-10, 8:36pm

Ummm ... I'm thinkin' maybe just maybe a tad extreme

Cheryl

Old 2012-04-10, 9:12pm

oh shucks, I don't have any steel plates around the place. I will have to order one so I can assure my customers that MY beads are TOUGH!
Old 2012-04-10, 9:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrantz View Post
Maybe somebody can help me. Does the following testing for a 12mm soft glass bead seem extreme?

Drop cold beads into boiling water for 5 minutes, them in ice water for 5 minutes and then dropped four inches onto a steel plate.

Mike
Why?

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2012-04-10, 9:35pm
Puddy Cat Lover

No. But, don't you trust your annealer?

Now a laser beam test, might be extreme.

J.

Old 2012-04-10, 9:44pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

And then smash it with a hammer! If it survives it was meant to be....

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-04-10, 9:46pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I just hope when I collapse on my high tech steel plate kitchen floor no one throws ice water on my burns after I test the bead necklace I'm wearing with radiation.........

........just sayin'

Old 2012-04-10, 10:16pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

I do this all the time......not..LOL

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2012-04-10, 10:59pm

Default What Would You Do?

So I assume what everyone is saying is that is an insane test for glass beads?

What would you do if somebody wanted you to make 10,000 beads that had to pass that test.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2012-04-10, 11:08pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

LMAO haha..

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2012-04-10, 11:44pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:

What would you do if somebody wanted you to make 10,000 beads that had to pass that test.

Mike
Only 10,000? I'm sure you could make far more than that if you had a stack of people working for you ...

Old 2012-04-11, 12:11am
Unmedicated since '62

You forgot hit them with a hammer and drive a truck over em

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-11, 12:16am

Now that is extreme !!

If the bead doesn't crack after a week, it's usually good I have never had any customers tell me my beads have cracked after a while.

Just use the usual kiln cycle you have and trust and you'll be fine.

Magma Beads .

Old 2012-04-11, 12:20am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Only 10,000? And of course, they expect a quantity discount and free shipping and oh yeah, same day shipping too...

Me? Bitter about the newest eBay seller changes? Not at ALL....

L-111

Old 2012-04-11, 4:19am

I would tell that person to go to China to get 10,000 beads. They may as well buy 10,000 metal washers intstead if they want to treat their jewelry that rough. IMO

Old 2012-04-11, 4:54am
Scientific Glass Girl

i have a bad feeling my beads wouldn't pass the rad test.

Old 2012-04-11, 5:03am
Life is change. Love it

I have tested beads like this, except I went from the freezer into hot water.

Old 2012-04-11, 5:04am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Now that is extreme !!

If the bead doesn't crack after a week, it's usually good I have never had any customers tell me my beads have cracked after a while.

Just use the usual kiln cycle you have and trust and you'll be fine.
Beads can crack months or even years after they are made

Old 2012-04-11, 5:38am

So why are we discussing this Mike? Are you sending 10000 beads to an Antarctica designer by way of Ethiopia in the trusted hands of "slippery Pete" my UPS guy? He makes sure he uses a lot of hand lotion on his route to me. He also eats a lot of cheeseburgers.
Old 2012-04-11, 5:43am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:

Mike
Run like Hell!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-04-11, 6:39am

Suggest they have their head examined!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-11, 8:07am
uncouthful cats

Tell them your beads are made from a somewhat fragile silica compound called "glass", & that glass should be treated with care & fondled often.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-04-11, 8:12am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

In retrospect, the funniest part of this whole thing is the 4" drop. 4 inches? 4 FEET might be a challenge, but if they didn't explode the minute you went from the heat to the ice a 4 inch drop shouldn't matter.

The big challenge to me would be the quantity - that's just insane! Why WOULDN'T a person order something like that from China? How much actually artistry could you POSSIBLY be looking for in a beed in a lot of 10,000? And why insist on soft glass?

This person is clearly delusional! But there's a lot of that going around - I had an eBay customer ask me if she thought it would be okay if her baby teethed on one of my glass lanyards. Uh, NO!!! In fact, HELL NO!!!

L-111

Old 2012-04-11, 8:50am
Megan's personal Sherpa

Ummmm..........they're glass. I'm sure you can get them to break at some point no matter what you do to them. Do we need to start issuing guarantees that our beads will outlive their new owners? What if we put the customer in boiling water, then ice water, the drop them off a building........would they still be intact? Are they guaranteed immortality? I rather think NOT! What about the glasses in my kitchen cabinet.......I didn't get any guarantees that they wouldn't break! OMG! And here I am DRINKING from them! Guess what folks..........EVERYTHING BREAKS at some point! Otherwise we wouldn't have to have glue! Now just think of all those glue manufacturers going out of business.......

Oh, and by the way, we spend how many thousands of dollars on computers and other electronic gadgets that last us for a few years if we're lucky........and someone wants a guarantee on a bead they are going to spend $5-$50 bucks on? Just sayin'.........

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2012-04-11, 8:50am
Queen Bee

If I am not mistaken, Grace Beads has this on her etsy site - she says out of many lampworkers beads, her's were the only one's to pass the test. A bit vague on who did the test.

http://www.etsy.com/people/gracebeads

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-04-11, 8:53am
Megan's personal Sherpa

Oops.......after my rant I realized that DIAMONDS are FOREVER........got that guys?

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2012-04-11, 8:55am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Perhaps they should be using those beads as filler in Fukushima.....
Old 2012-04-11, 8:58am

I'd tell the loon to find another schmuck to make the beads.
Old 2012-04-11, 8:59am
I'd rather be torching.

Good point Deb.

I fail to see why this type of test is necessary for ornamental jewelry beads.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
~Twyla Tharp
I know where I am. I've been lost here before.