Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-15, 9:07pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Default Goldstone and Bullseye Glass

Last week I pulled some goldstone stringer with regular Bullseye clear and Kugler gold adventurine. I made some test beads using Bullseye Special Production Dark Red and BE SP Sand Dune.

I have not experienced any cracking problems at all. I didn't takes pictures of the Dark Red beads but I totally melted the goldstone in. No problems! I used a slightly different technique on these beads where the goldstone stringer was pushed into the glass but still left slightly raised and textured. These are fine also. I didn't photograph the red beads but I did photograph the Sand Dune beads pictured below.

As I said I used Kugler Gold Adventurine and regular BE clear for the stringer.
I garage at 980 degrees. I soak at 980 for at least an hour after I complete my last bead and I ramp down at about 50 degrees per hour until I hit 600 degrees and the kiln shuts off (it is fire brick). That's it!

As I use more goldstone on BE I'll post the beads here. I'd love to see everyone else's beads also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-15, 9:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That is beautiful! Where did you get your Kugler goldstone?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-15, 9:30pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
That is beautiful! Where did you get your Kugler goldstone?
Thanks, Squid!

I purchased my Kugler goldstone here:

http://www.hotglasscolor.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=1521

It's pricey but you can buy a 1/2 kilo which will last you for a very long time. I see you can also get a 2 ounce sample. It really is worth it! The sparkle is just incredible.

Old 2008-10-16, 10:28am
Lampworkaholic!

I've been using regular goldstone cased in Schott 90 coe clear and used liberally with Bullseye of all colors. No problems at all. Maybe ignorance is bliss as I was doing this without thinking there would be a problem. (Hope my beads don't suddenly start cracking now - lol!)

All in all, I'm finding there is less incompatibility that I would have feared if I had known better. I even used some fine Bullseye frit on Effetre.

The one thing that didn't work was when I accidentally grabbed a BE white stringer to make plunged florals on an Effetre base. Funny how white stringers all look the same ...
Old 2008-10-16, 10:41am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I've been using regular goldstone cased in Schott 90 coe clear and used liberally with Bullseye of all colors. No problems at all. Maybe ignorance is bliss as I was doing this without thinking there would be a problem. (Hope my beads don't suddenly start cracking now - lol!)

All in all, I'm finding there is less incompatibility that I would have feared if I had known better. I even used some fine Bullseye frit on Effetre.

The one thing that didn't work was when I accidentally grabbed a BE white stringer to make plunged florals on an Effetre base. Funny how white stringers all look the same ...
My main reason for not using it for now is that I was too lazy to pull the stringer for BE! I use a lot of goldstone on 104 but I was pretty happy just using the BE amber lustre or various COE96 frits on BE for gold accents. You know - just grab and go!

So, it kind of surprised me that people were having trouble with goldstone so of course I had to try it! It is a different look than reduction glass and I'm glad I did try it. I have used other types of goldstone on my 104 but the Kugler beats them all! It really can't be surpassed for sparkle. It's really hard to burn out. And, it doesn't look brown like so much other goldstone can.

Reichenbach gold adventurine is nice also and a very close second to the Kugler. OCR has it and you can get 1/2K for under 40 bucks right now. This would probably work nicely with BE also. I have a sample chunk of it I might have to try it.

Old 2008-10-16, 1:40pm

The beads I made had encased goldstone in floral beads. Definitely incompatability. But I'm not sure what type of goldstone it was. I have an email out to the vendor to see if it was Kugler. If it wasn't Kugler, then I'll be trying some. I love that sparkle for holiday beads.
Old 2008-10-16, 1:45pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
The beads I made had encased goldstone in floral beads. Definitely incompatability. But I'm not sure what type of goldstone it was. I have an email out to the vendor to see if it was Kugler. If it wasn't Kugler, then I'll be trying some. I love that sparkle for holiday beads.
I still need to try encasing it. But first I have to pull some more.

Old 2008-10-16, 2:09pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I have a nice chunk of goldstone. I didn't know goldstone came in different COE's. Would that have to do with what the goldstone is encased in?? If the answer to my last question is yes then technically I could encase in a clear rod of boro also huh?
Old 2008-10-16, 2:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Goldstone (aventurine) is actually copper suspended in glass, so the COE of it matters a lot. The problem is that places that sell slab goldstone typically don't know what the COE is. Encasing it theoretically makes it less incompatible, but doesn't make it a perfect match. I have not had luck with using BE with the goldstone I have bought, but I have never tried the Kugler (that I know of). I have "heard" that most goldstone is COE 104, but I have no proof of that and don't know if it is true.

The reason the Kugler might work is that it is closer to BE's COE than "regular" goldstone - theoretically.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 5:16pm
Hole Challenged

Would be interesting to try the Kugler on a clear bead and then check it with polarized film to see how much stress there is. I would love to use this if the stress is minimal. If I can dig up my old fusing stress-o-meter thingy I'll have to order the small sample pack and check this out.

Old 2008-10-16, 5:17pm
One Crazy Mama

melodie, let us know the results

Old 2008-10-16, 5:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have the pieces of polarized film. Once I get some Kugler goldstone. I will make a clear bead with it and see if I can see any stress.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-16, 5:41pm
Hole Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have the pieces of polarized film. Once I get some Kugler goldstone. I will make a clear bead with it and see if I can see any stress.
Thanks!!!

I haven't seen my polarized setup for years, would have hated having to go digging for it. You are my hero.

Old 2008-10-16, 5:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL Mel

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-22, 1:39am
I need more boro stuff

I made test bead on weekend, it seemed fine until today. Some part I encased, melt it in and surface decoration.
I will take a picture tomorrow.

Old 2008-10-22, 3:11am
Mom to 20 paws

MaryBeth have you tried encasing it with 104 clear and using it on a bead to see what happens?

Just curious because I thought it all had the same coe.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-10-22, 10:59am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post
MaryBeth have you tried encasing it with 104 clear and using it on a bead to see what happens?

Just curious because I thought it all had the same coe.

Jen

Yes, I do encase the Kugler goldstone with 104 COE to use on 104COE beads. It works fine with them also.

I wouldn't assume that all goldstone is the same. Kugler has a specific COE as does Reichenbach. Frantz sells goldstone but they don't know the COE. That seems to work fine with 104. And, goldstone that is purchased from rockshops is unknown COE. Why would they care? That stuff is really meant to be used in chunks - not melted. Although it does work in many cases.

I like to stick with a known quantity

Old 2008-10-22, 11:31am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Where can I score this polarized film? It would be nice to know what mine is. I can encase it in each of the 3 coes. My chunk is probably the size of the palm of my hand. Verrry pretty!
Old 2008-10-22, 12:25pm
Mom to 20 paws

Oooh that sounds great! Thanks MaryBeth.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-10-27, 2:29pm
I need more boro stuff

Here's my test bead using goldstone stringer.
So far I can't see any crack.

The left end - totally encased.
Middle - raised decoration.
Right end - melt in.

Old 2008-10-27, 2:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
Where can I score this polarized film? It would be nice to know what mine is. I can encase it in each of the 3 coes. My chunk is probably the size of the palm of my hand. Verrry pretty!
I got mine from Bullseye

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-27, 3:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
Here's my test bead using goldstone stringer.
So far I can't see any crack.

The left end - totally encased.
Middle - raised decoration.
Right end - melt in.

That looks good, Yunita

Old 2008-11-06, 2:21pm

I got some Kugler goldstone from hot glass color. I made a few test beads last weekend. They are still intact. That's a good sign because the one I had made before died before its first week was out.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. It's a very pretty goldstone.

oh, I also used some on the neon tubing that I have for ornament making. No cracks there either.
Old 2008-11-06, 3:27pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
I got some Kugler goldstone from hot glass color. I made a few test beads last weekend. They are still intact. That's a good sign because the one I had made before died before its first week was out.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. It's a very pretty goldstone.

oh, I also used some on the neon tubing that I have for ornament making. No cracks there either.

I'm so glad you like the Kugler goldstone! It is gorgeous - isn't it?
I photographed a couple of beads I made with the SP dark red. I've had these for weeks now and the goldstone is fully melted in and they are fine:

Old 2008-11-06, 7:51pm
Burn baby, burn

Have either of you done the freezer test?
Old 2008-11-15, 7:28pm

Pleased to report that the Kugler DOES seem to be compatible.

These were both stressed (freezer to boiling), encased (which is what had failed for me before). One's pressed which can add extra stress, too.

Thank-you MaryBeth!!
Old 2008-11-15, 7:38pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Pretty beads, Lynda! You did a wonderful job with the goldstone - it looks nice and sparkly. I like both beads but that second one is outstanding

Old 2008-11-15, 7:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I've made some too and so far, so good. I did have one of the stringers come apart - the clear actually peeled away from the goldstone underneath on one side of the stringer. I am thinking maybe I didn't have the goldstone hot enough when I applied the clear. It is a nice sparkly goldstone too.

DOG is my co-pilot