No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-10, 11:26am
Booger #7

Default Chipping??

I'm so irritated...I have been making some big hole beads (pandora size and larger) and every one of them from the past few days have chipped around the bead hole when I take them off the mandrel. Is it a bead release issue (not smooth or thin enough) or an annealing issue or both. They chip right when I take them off the mandrel, so it is not that my dremel bit is needing to be replaced etc...HELP!

I'm going to try and thin out my bead release a little bit today and see if that helps any, but any other suggestions are so welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-10, 3:31pm
Life is change. Love it

The only time this had happened to me the beads were full of incompatibility cracks which showed up a day or two later.

Old 2010-01-10, 4:08pm
Booger #7

It's not incompatibility unless suddenly Moretti black and dark ivory don't play well together, but I don't think that is the case. I thinned out my bead release and tried again as well as reprogrammed my kiln to make sure everything was hunky dory with it too!

Old 2010-01-10, 5:53pm
I like to melt things

It sounds to me like they are heat-deprived near the mandrel so the glass is brittle. I've only made a few big-hole beads, but while I was making them I was thinking about the fact that the mandrel probably wouldn't hold the heat very well and I should give them a little heat on the sides before putting them away.

-
-
Old 2010-01-10, 6:02pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've been having the same problem The last few days everything is chipping. Last night I made some more big hole beads and super heated the ends before putting into the kiln. I haven't tried to core them yet, but hopefully that is what the problem was.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-10, 8:52pm

Any chance that your mandrel isn't smooth at the end where you're taking off the bead? I've cracked a few beads with a burr on the end of the mandrel.
Old 2010-01-10, 9:00pm
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
It sounds to me like they are heat-deprived near the mandrel so the glass is brittle. I've only made a few big-hole beads, but while I was making them I was thinking about the fact that the mandrel probably wouldn't hold the heat very well and I should give them a little heat on the sides before putting them away.

I think that may have done it! I made more today and between thinning out my release and giving the ends extra heat they came out fine. I cored them and they look great!

Old 2010-01-10, 9:27pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K View Post
I think that may have done it! I made more today and between thinning out my release and giving the ends extra heat they came out fine. I cored them and they look great!
Yay!!

-
-
Old 2010-01-10, 9:58pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I think I need to be more careful with my dremel. I have a new bit and maybe am not going slow enough.

Patsy

Ebay: