Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-09, 9:56pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Is there anywhere to get Aether in a smaller batch to try? I can't fork out 60 bucks in the anywhere near future............gosh.

sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-10, 12:39am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Sue - why don't you post a WTB in the Garage Sale.
Now that Aether is freely available, I'm sure someone wouldn't mind selling you 1/4 lbs.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-01-10, 4:13am
Drawn to the Flame

Yes, I too have fallen in love with this glass!
(thanks to Frantz and j2canoe!!!)

Even my HUSBAND thinks it is awesome!

I will definitely be buying more!
and will be watching for seconds!!!

Teresa

Old 2010-01-10, 10:21am

I am forever ruined for any other clear glass! I can't put it down, all I want to make are encased beads. Yes, it's expensive, but so worth it!!!!

Old 2010-01-10, 10:40am
In search of her path....

Its the best clear ive ever used hands down. When I get a chance im gonna buy a couple more lbs at least I think. Seriously best clear ever. I wish it wasnt so pricey but its definately worth it.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-12, 10:47am
Likes to melt stuff...

Judith, thanks for the thread...went over to check it out...drooling profusely!
Old 2010-01-12, 11:36am

they are out, any idea when they will get more??

Old 2010-01-12, 12:09pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Oh noooooooooos
I thought they wanted to do a supply that would last this time around.
I guess we were loving it just a bit too much here on LE, so word got around and everyone bought right away 5 or 10 pounds of it.
Show of hands please?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-01-12, 12:13pm
Storm Queen

I got 3lbs of 2nds and 3 lbs of firsts.

Old 2010-01-12, 12:13pm

ok so your the culprit Judith!!!!! lololol

Old 2010-01-12, 12:14pm

oh man, i just snoozed way to long, pout

Old 2010-01-13, 10:46am
Against the Grain

I almost hate to bring this up, but there is one thing to be aware of. It's possible that Aether can give some silver colors a greenish or yellowish cast. Same colors were used on both of these beads, except for encasing glass. Second photo is with Aether.

Things were going fine until I decided to get the bead really hot to press it. I got one end heated up and all of a sudden it turned kind of lime green (see bottom of bead). I backed off on the heat a bit on the top end and it retained a little blue. Has anybody else had this happen? Is there a way to prevent it?

Old 2010-01-13, 11:00am
da General

Lynn - Aether does cause a reaction over some silver glass. This is from Double Helix's site on its description (not up at the moment since Aether is temporarily sold out):

"Aether is a colorless encasing glass designed for superb workability in the flame. It is engineered to be resistant to boiling, free from seed bubbles, and handled with the utmost care to ensure freedom from scratches and dust. In other words, it is our clear.

Aether can alter the color tonality of some metal rich glasses."

It's also being discussed in the thread on newest Double Helix test batches:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=150146

as well as SE6 in the Patio.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-01-13, 11:26am
Against the Grain

Thanks Hayley. I guess I will need to experiment and take notes. I haven't used it much yet. It was fine with Ekho.

Old 2010-01-13, 12:52pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I say Vive La Difference about the Aether reaction! I was struck enough by the beautiful spring grasshopper green color and chatoyancy in posts by Amy K, Judith and Traci on Monday that I ran right home and immediately made a set with that combination! Cool Deal - and they shimmer!! I tried a couple of other combinations with the Aether and am also thrilled with the results! - Hooray - another cool color in the palette!! I will post a pic this weekend of the new set and color combos. The reaction is AWESOME!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-01-13 at 12:54pm.
Old 2010-01-13, 1:42pm
Storm Queen

Yeah, the luster you get is really amazing.