Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-07-06, 7:00pm
Booger #7

Default reannealing?

I have a piece that I didn't kiln strike at the correct temp for long enough to get good color...can I reanneal it at the correct time and temp to kiln strike it properly or do I need to heat it up and put it back into the flame and get it white hot again before it goes back in the kiln?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-06, 7:26pm
Alaska Boro

If you heat it up in the torch you just may end up with a lot of smaller pieces.

The process is to place the object in a cold kiln and raise the temperature to your garage temp. Say 1050 F for boro. This process should take in the range of an hour depending on your kiln. Then soak for 20 to 30 minutes depending on size at 1050. And then raise to your striking temperature.

And last, run your normal annealing cycle based on the thickness of the piece after the strike.

Last edited by Alaska; 2010-07-06 at 7:28pm.
Old 2010-07-06, 7:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would think with boro you can just re-anneal it without flameworking it again.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-06, 7:35pm
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
If you heat it up in the torch you just may end up with a lot of smaller pieces.

The process is to place the object in a cold kiln and raise the temperature to your garage temp. Say 1050 F for boro. This process should take in the range of an hour depending on your kiln. Then soak for 20 to 30 minutes depending on size at 1050. And then raise to your striking temperature.

And last, run your normal annealing cycle based on the thickness of the piece after the strike.

LOL...I guess I was clear as mud...I meant if I reheat slowly in the kiln and then do I need to punty it back up and get it super hot again in the flame and then reanneal?

Old 2010-07-06, 7:55pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

The answer is yes. You can reanneal or heat it up and go back in the flame.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-07-06, 11:07pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K View Post
LOL...I guess I was clear as mud...I meant if I reheat slowly in the kiln and then do I need to punty it back up and get it super hot again in the flame and then reanneal?
No. Just reanneal it.

If it comes out the way you think, great. If not, maker' gen; better than reworking it for color.

IMO, re-flamworking a piece for color . . .generally . . . it's on the far side of the logic fence.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:50am
The Crazy One

Stick the sucker back in the kiln. If it's boro it can go in either a hot or cold kiln. Some colors, I have found you can let um ride! Ummm that means just leave um in the kiln over and over and... well you get the picture.

Oh and 104 coe turquoise does well with the same torture! Turns it into some kwell metallic looking stuff, I let one ride for a couple of months because it pissed me off. Bastard got back at me, only getting better color every day.
Old 2010-07-07, 7:10am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
Stick the sucker back in the kiln. If it's boro it can go in either a hot or cold kiln. Some colors, I have found you can let um ride! Ummm that means just leave um in the kiln over and over and... well you get the picture.

Oh and 104 coe turquoise does well with the same torture! Turns it into some kwell metallic looking stuff, I let one ride for a couple of months because it pissed me off. Bastard got back at me, only getting better color every day.
Yeah I do this too for a piece that doesn't strike the way I want it too.
Then one day eventually it looks really good!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-07-07, 7:38am

putting something in the top back corner helps, too. Most of the time I don't use shelves because it makes my day to day kiln too small, so if I want to strike something further I put it on top of a ceramic post in the back corner so it gets more heat. No matter what your kiln, unless it's fan forced, it's hottest there.
And like it's been said already, you can leave your boro in the kiln or reanneal ad nauseum.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-07-07, 7:48am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
reanneal ad nauseum.
I like that.

Ordering shirt now.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-07-07, 9:14am

just batch anneal it...

Old 2010-07-07, 3:21pm
Booger #7

cool! I'll pop it in the kiln and see what eventually happens the next time I'm working!

Old 2010-07-07, 3:52pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
I like that.

Ordering shirt now.
HA! I'll take one.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!