No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-06, 1:17pm
Debra Clutter

Unhappy I think I have lost my Mojo!

I am in a rut! I sit at the torch and I don't have a clue what I want to make. I don't know where my creativity went but it is not here right now. What do you do to get your Mojo back?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-03-06, 1:26pm
I'm a lilac!

I make frit beads until it comes back... and if I have a thought like "I know! I'll make twisties!" then I let it happen.

Old 2011-03-06, 1:28pm

Start using up the copious amounts of stuff on my work surface making quick beads until I think of something else to make...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-03-06, 1:40pm

I always make something really reliable, and then just let it flow from there. Or I try to make something really impossible, and see where it goes.
Old 2011-03-06, 1:45pm
I fart diamonds

Twisties, solid spacers and pressed beads.

Old 2011-03-06, 3:25pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Maybe it's just on vacation with my mojo. Maybe they are on a beach somewhere recharging.

Old 2011-03-06, 3:28pm
Debra Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurnHill View Post
Maybe it's just on vacation with my mojo. Maybe they are on a beach somewhere recharging.

Well I sure hope they are having a heck of a time!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-03-06, 3:34pm
Live and Let Live

I usually poke around on Ebay, Etsy, here etc... until I see something that inspires me, then write it down and bring the note to the torch with me.

Old 2011-03-06, 3:35pm
Debra Clutter

Austin Powers Mojo

Maybe I need to go back to the sixties and recharge my Mojo! Humm... sixties flower child beads maybe!

#C-108

Old 2011-03-06, 3:47pm
Bonkers about glass.....

I make silvered ivory stringers, and twisties. Sometimes that leads to what I want to make with them.

Marlene
Old 2011-03-06, 6:00pm

Seems to be a common theme with photographers, writers and everybody else involved in an artistic/creative discipline. IMO, one needs external inputs for inspiration so there's nothing wrong with taking a short break and doing something else. Let a few ideas build up (write 'em down) until you're really enthusiastic about getting back to it, then get back to it!

CH
Old 2011-03-06, 6:34pm
Ready to hit the road

I keep digital photo catalogs with my sold beads, glass tests I've done and beads I've seen on the internet that have caught my eye. When I'm stuck I look at them. A lot of times it's just a color combination that will get my mind thinking.

Old 2011-03-06, 6:45pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I'm a big believer in the "external input for inspiration" theory Conrad mentions above. When I get in a rut, i read a book, listen to music, see a great movie. I just busted a rut making beads named after fairy tales after reading a cool re-telling of the Hansel and Gretel story... inspiraton is where you find it but you have to look for it! Maybe you shouldn't think about BEADS you should think about IDEAS and let the glass just be the language you record your ideas with. Just a thought...good luck getting it back.
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-03-06, 7:28pm
I'm a lilac!

The very best thing for me, if I can afford it, is travel. Lots of time to think, and new sights to see.

Old 2011-03-06, 7:33pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I make spacers, LOTS AND LOTS of spacers! Usually by that time I'm tired of them and come up with other ideas! LOL I also cruise etsy and artfire treasuries and collections for color ideas

Old 2011-03-06, 9:56pm

I take a bead making break ... and perhaps finish some projects sitting on my workbench, work on something from my sketchbook, or when no creative pursuit has any mojo I clean up my studio (I lampwork, metalsmith, seedbead and enamel - usually one of these has an idea fermenting, but if nothing is fermenting then clean up is needed). The latter is something that gets neglected during a good creative time and I find I can't start a new creative splurge without a clear and clean work area.

Old 2011-03-06, 10:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, great advice from everyone so far...and darlin', don't let it cycle in on you and get you down; you've not "lost" it, just maybe temporarily "misplaced" it.

I've experienced this many times...especially LATELY! It didn't help that my hubby has moved my bench no less than 5 times in the last 2 months and that every time I had a creative sensation come over me, my bench was either covered with plastic or out of reach. Further, while the paint in the garage was drying or drywall mud was being applied, it just didn't seem safe to start playing with fire!

As some have mentioned, it might be a "refreshing" thing to do to either go way back to your roots...make spacers, or even make "sets" to find a clear within yourself. For me, it was time (somewhat FORCED, from what I've stated above) to literally step away from the torch all together. I was very lucky timing wise...I found Sandy's (SLCUniques) Tutorials on how to make Clay Baby Fairies (Part I: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186132 and Part II: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=187494) and decided to take on the challenge!

I was very happy with the results, but it was also interesting how working in another medium started me thinking of how to apply these new techniques I was learning to GLASS!

I don't know if you have other craft-ish inclinations; maybe you sometimes (or used to) enjoy painting, sketching, sewing, or playing with clay. But maybe if you give yourself a little break from glass, you can come back to it with fresh eyes and lots of new, inspired ideas.

Hugs and hang in there! Your muse will return...I promise!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-06, 11:34pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Gotta go with the spacer vote... But I also have my stand by's that I will also go to if I just detest the idea of making spacers.

Old 2011-03-07, 6:05am
Run Free Sweet Boy

make spacers till you want to scream from boredom.. trust me.. and idea WILL come, and meanwhile you have some grunt work out of the way.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-03-07, 6:31am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I make frit beads until it comes back... and if I have a thought like "I know! I'll make twisties!" then I let it happen.
ditto exactly!

That or I try and figure out something that I know I can not presently do with out it looking like crap! LOL Pick a tutorial and see if you can master it. Oddly enough, if you do not have your own creativity to get in the way, you may be able to follow directions easier.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-07, 8:30am
Mary Lockwood

I struggle with this a lot. Once or twice a year I get the brain funk and it feels like there is a dam or clog between the two sides of my brain. The creative side can't do what it needs to do, and the logical side gets mad about it and then I'm really stymied.

Sometimes it just takes a bit of time off to fix it but I've found that if I need to jump start:

1- Spend some quiet time alone with a place you love--for me that is deep in the woods. See what you can see, breathe it all in. Clear some empty space in your brain so it has room to move around.

2. Don't pressure yourself to 'do better'. My first forays back to the torch during one of these mojo losses are greatly benefited by doing tasks such as pulling canes, pulling stringers and twisties...silvered ivory, encased stringers, tentacle canes. Doing busy work that doesn't require a lot of thinking. Mostly just muscle memory. That usually jars something loose. Sometimes the canes I've made make me think about what to do with them.

3. Force yourself to attempt something you've never succeeded at before. This one actually works very well for me. If you usually stink at sculptural stuff--give it a go. If you've never made an offhand pendant, try that. Even if you fail you will have pushed out of your comfort zone a bit and that can't do any damage when you already feel crappy.

4. Go for some outside inspiration. I have dozens of folders full of internet bookmarks filled with things that inspire me. Photography sites, other glass sites, museum sites. And go to real places too, not just online visits. The zoo, museums, libraries anywhere that might cause a spark for you.

That's my best advice.
~~Mary

OH, one more thing-- sometimes we get so into what we can do that WE want to do we forget the value of what we can do for other people. Lots of times all we need to do is make it about somebody else to snap out of a funk. Look at the Beads of Courage thread, or the RAOGK list, or the sun room and see someone who needs help or a pick-me up. When what you are doing helps others it gives you a reason to carry on.

Old 2011-03-07, 10:58am
geekitude on two wheels

I clean up. Clean workbench, clean shop, clean beads, reorganize/restock glass/frit etc. Usually the lack of clutter clears my head, and I usually trip across something that reminds me of what I want to be doing (glass I forgot I had, a half finished project, etc.).

If that doesn't work I start sketching - either go through magazines and books & sketch bits that pop at me, or go out somewhere and sketch whatever hits me. I prefer sketching to photos because it forces me to start to make a subject mine, and pick out the parts that matter to me as well as learning the shapes and lines.

If that doesn't work (and it's only happened once or twice, 95% of the time a good clean up is all I need) then I go over my 5 or 10 year plan - where do I want to be, what do I have to do to get there, what can I do right now to work towards those goals. If the steps are too overwhelming ( get into show xxx) I break them down into smaller and smaller pieces until I find something I can do (make phone call to someone, print registration form, make 10 fish beads etc).
Old 2011-03-07, 12:16pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

I aggree a lot with Marie...

This amazing thing called inspiration... where does it come from and where does it go??
I have found over the years that, no matter what you feel like, go and sit down and make something, even if they all turn out terrible, there is nothing unusual about not having each day filled with amazing inspiration, everything in life is an up and down, and so also with our inspiration. I find that I have come to accept the days that I don't pick up the right colors etc and other days I am flabbergasted that each bead turned out great against all expectations!! ( in my eyes of course)
Sometimes I find it relaxing to spend a day on preparing murrinis etc things I don't like to make when I want to sit and make a bead. Or trying a new technique..
I think you worst enemy is stressing about it, and secondly I find that sometimes we look to much at what others make, take your own style and develop this. I really speak from experience ( painfull at times), it took me very long to learn that I must not be swayed with each new amazing bead I see others make and want to make it too, you are blown like flag in the wind and don't develop your own style. I am not saying that you shouldn't be inpired by others, we all are in some way, but stay true to yourself take some techniques and incorporate them in your own way, it is the only way in my humble opinion that you will stay inspired in the long run.

As a last note take a look at the people whom you admire most and see how they stay true to their own unique style and have developed this.

Just go and have some fun with glass

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2011-03-07, 9:17pm
Debra Clutter

Astrid you really hit the nail on the head. I do stress about wanting to create something spectacular and being influenced by all the wonderful beads and artist out there, yet feeling a little inadequate at times. I really appreciate all the responses to this thread. Some of the suggestions I have tried before even posting. Cleaning my area, ( I couldn't clear all the clutter unless I left, lol), I made soap for 5 months through the winter, I sketched designs, went through tutorials, viewed all the great beads from others, etc.

Then I got an order from my local bead store for hearts in January. So I got back to the torch but I just feel like something is missing. I think part of the problem is not being able
to connect with other bead makers. Maybe a class would help get me out of this rut.

I have been making boro beads for the last week. They always turn out pretty even with little effort!

Again I love each and everyone of the replies I read. I think it will also help others that feel like they are in a rut. Thank you all!

#C-108

Old 2011-03-08, 8:03am
Hobby Junkie

A class might just do the trick! I always feel jazzed after a class.

You said you've been playing with boro lately... one of my favorite classes was with John Kobuki. I'm still jazzed about floral implosions and it's been almost a year!

Old 2011-03-08, 8:29am
Glass-aholic

an informal play date may help too or an exchange!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-09, 9:07pm
Creative Spirit

I stay away from the studio, read, go for walks, pick up old hobby's, sooner than later I long for the torch again! sometimes, time away is good for the soul.

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-03-23, 7:16pm

It's weird, that inspiration thing. . . Sometimes I can't get lampworking out of my head. I HAVE to torch. EVERYTHING inspires me! Then there are other times when I can't think of a thing to do behind the torch---well just like you all have articulated so well.

Another idea. . . if none of these great ones work. . . is to look at catalogs for new color combinations. One of my favorite beads was inspired by a pattern on a rug that I saw in the Crate & Barrel catalog.