Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-18, 1:57pm

Default reactive twisites

I am trying to make some twisties that do the spreading thing. I think the only way to get that to happen is to use reactive colors. Are there any other colors (besides the silver glass) that I am missing? These are the ones I've used;
opal yellow
copper green
raku
ivory
intense black
rubino
EDP
turquoise

Just looking for something a little different, not to mention I am low on many of these colors (guess I need to place an order soon). I tried a few with not much success. Is it imperative that my base be a certain kind of color? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
H37
Old 2009-01-18, 2:34pm
Yeah me!

Ok so I have heard the term reactive a lot and am not to sure as to what it means. I have all of the colors in your list and would like to know what exactly makes them reactive?

Also what is EDP?

Old 2009-01-18, 2:48pm

Kristina
Reactive means they react with other colors and silver and do all kinds of wonderful (well sometime not so wonderful) things. For example, put turquoise on ivory and you get a nice thin dark brown edge around where the two colors meet.
EDP is Evil Devitifying Purple - it is Moretti 256 I think. It prefers to be worked quickly and in a heavily oxygenated flame or else it turns kind of a frosty, matted, muted color I guess is how I would describe it.
If you've got all those in your stash, then go play. Make some simple twisities with any of those and but them on various bases, throw on some silver here and there perhaps and see what happens.

H37
Old 2009-01-18, 2:49pm

CIM Grape Ape, Celadon, and Evil Queen all will spread out. Also Vetro Dk Violet

Old 2009-01-18, 5:56pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvs2create View Post
Kristina
Reactive means they react with other colors and silver and do all kinds of wonderful (well sometime not so wonderful) things. For example, put turquoise on ivory and you get a nice thin dark brown edge around where the two colors meet.
EDP is Evil Devitifying Purple - it is Moretti 256 I think. It prefers to be worked quickly and in a heavily oxygenated flame or else it turns kind of a frosty, matted, muted color I guess is how I would describe it.
If you've got all those in your stash, then go play. Make some simple twisities with any of those and but them on various bases, throw on some silver here and there perhaps and see what happens.
I got to looking through my "passing the flame" book and found out what EDP was and turned out I have some of that also, but haven't used it yet. I have mixed turquoise and ivory so I know what your talking about there. I will try it out.

Old 2009-01-18, 6:17pm
birdergirl ~o~

What is this "Evil Queen?"
Never heard of her!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-01-18, 9:29pm
It's all about the color.

It's a Creation is Messy color.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-18, 9:34pm
One Crazy Mama

I know this is on moretti lt pink, i think it has turquoise, EDP and green...nile maybe???

Old 2009-01-19, 6:42am
Yeah me!

In "passing the flame" she says that mosiac green reacts similar to intense black.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:19am
Lampworkaholic!

CiM Black Current spreads like a dream - if you dream of glass spreading - lol!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-01-19, 9:43am
birdergirl ~o~

Thanks Kay!
This link ( by sislonski I think, sorry If Im mistaken) might be helpful:
http://users.zoominternet.net/~beadg...ce_effects.jpg
You can see the spreading effects of some combos

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2009-01-19, 12:04pm

My favorite to play with is a twisty made with EDP, Petroleum Green, Intense Black, and Opal Yellow. When you make it, pay close attention and have the Intense Black and the Petroleum Green on opposite sides of the twisty. After you wrap he finished twisty around a white bead and melt it in, look at the results. The Petroleum Green and the Intense Black will now be next to each other. I've also done this with Sky Blue instead of the green.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-19, 12:57pm

Most Lauscha colors will "spread" over Effetre/Vetrofond bases.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 1:42pm

Yeah especially our opaque reactive milky ways...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-01-19, 3:40pm
offically down under

Cobalt, violet will also react. Watch out using the ivory with some of the colors.

Old 2009-01-19, 4:42pm
Creatrixie

Smile Reactive goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Thanks Kay!
This link ( by sislonski I think, sorry If Im mistaken) might be helpful:
http://users.zoominternet.net/~beadg...ce_effects.jpg
You can see the spreading effects of some combos
I've seen this link before...it's really fabulous for us visual learners...I just wish that she was a little more precise in what manufacturers and colours that she was using. I think that I can guess though.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-01-19, 4:51pm
Isinglass Design

You're right about the mosaic green - lots of fun on copper green- especially if you want some turtles or frogs! And there's always light clear teal on any ivory. Isn't it the colors that contain copper that react with the ivory so nicely?

Laurie
Old 2009-01-20, 11:43am
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbead View Post
You're right about the mosaic green - lots of fun on copper green- especially if you want some turtles or frogs! And there's always light clear teal on any ivory. Isn't it the colors that contain copper that react with the ivory so nicely?
How do you find out which glasses contains copper?

Old 2009-01-20, 12:24pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'm guessing blues , greens, and purples all contain copper because they all have blue in them?

Old 2009-01-20, 12:33pm

Of the Effetre/Moretti colors? I have a list somewhere......hold on while I look.....OK, found it but I'm scrapping it and going with the results of my own testing.

Technically you're looking at a Copper-Sulfur Reaction.

Opaque Copper colors are:
light and dark sky blue
light and dark turquoise
petroleum green
nile green
grass green
periwinkle
copper green
purple (edp)
Transparent Copper colors are:
sage green
mosaic green
light and dark teal
light and dark emerald green
light and dark aqua
Opaque Sulfur colors are:
ivory
dark ivory
most of the yellows
coral
avocado green
grasshopper
Transparent Sulfur colors are:
yellow (not the striking yellow)
light, medium and dark topaz
straw yellow
Just to round things out, rubino oro and effetre millifiore also react with light and dark ivory.

Some colors will react more strongly than others depending on the amount of copper/sulfur in each. For example, periwinkle will react with ivory much less than petroleum green will.

Last edited by Listenup; 2009-01-20 at 1:26pm. Reason: Updated list with results from my own testing
Old 2009-01-20, 12:35pm
Yeah me!

holding....

Old 2009-01-20, 12:53pm

You can let go now.

Old 2009-01-20, 1:17pm
Anyone need some spacers?

great list kay thanks

Old 2009-01-20, 2:15pm
Yeah me!

my hands were getting tired, thanks!

Old 2009-01-20, 3:02pm
birdergirl ~o~

Wow Kay thanks for sharing all that!

Old 2009-01-21, 6:43am
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Wow Kay thanks for sharing all that!
That is an awesome list..thanks for sharing!
Old 2009-01-21, 8:10am
birdergirl ~o~

Hope this isn't off - subject to much but can anyone give a
"does not play well with Ivory" list.
Ivory is great with a lot of colors but there are some that really don't work.
Like Ivory and:
copper leaf (?)
any others ?

Old 2009-01-21, 10:22am

Rubino does not play really well with Ivory
Raku with Dk Ivory develops such a dark ring around it that you cannot see the Raku - the same with most silver glasses and Dk Ivory

Old 2009-01-21, 11:34am

Any on the Copper list will react with Ivory. Some are worse than others and you can play a bit with the effect to some degree. Here is a frit chart that shows Raku frit on White and on Ivory.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit/sizes.jpg
Each square on the chart is exactly 1 inch.

The worst (or best, depending on your point of view) is Petroleum Green. You can web up at least half a bead with just a dot of that on Dk. Ivory.

Red Enamel Frit will web up on Dk. Ivory too.

Old 2009-01-21, 12:32pm
Yeah me!

What does webbing look like? I'm sure I've seen it before but...
Does anyone have a pic?