Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-02-11, 5:55pm
jpunch

Default Amber Purples

I am having problems with these. My pendants come out hazy - green, white, yellows. I have purchased and watched Brents' DVD (AWESOME) which gives you a step by step visual of how to work striking silver colors, specifically amber purple. I have yet to get the beautiful purple/pink yellows he achieves. Dang it. I have the haze burned off the tip when applying which comes back after melting in the color and then I can't get it to burn off again. I have tried encasing it with clear dots. No luck. How can you keep the haze off whilst working the piece. I may be over working/heating it. And it won't strike. HELP!
Old 2009-02-11, 6:07pm

I had the pleasure of taking his class last year. He told us to "cook the snot out of it, and keep it HOT". So I do, and it works. At least for me.

Vanessa
Old 2009-02-11, 6:50pm
jpunch

so don't let it cool at all until i am ready to strike?
Old 2009-02-11, 6:57pm
boro color bender

Pretty much... sounds like you may not have quite enough oxy in your flame. Try turning the oxy up... or the propane down. Not sure if you're running concentrators or tanks...

The haze should get burned off and stay off. Work it hot and keep in above glow the whole time... the longer you keep it white hot, the brighter it will strike.

If you're trying to work too large for your torch, this may also be a problem. Work small enough that you can keep the gather smokin hot.

If you give me more info about torch and oxygen supply, I might be able to give more specific tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-11, 7:02pm
jpunch

I am using a nortel red max torch - smaller flame. No O2 concentratot just tanks. I am thinking you hit the nail on the head: Working to much in a small flame. If I let it cool and then reheat it (not to strike) does the haze reform?
Old 2009-02-11, 8:04pm
boro color bender

Well, that all depends. If you reheat to a low glow and leave it there or keep reheating it several times, it can definitely go cloudy. The trick is to get it smokin hot, keep it there for a while and then work it as hot and fast as you can until it's done. Then let the glow totally go away and strike. I kiln strike when ever possible.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-12, 8:22am
jpunch

I shall try that today. It may be my problem. I can't seem to keep it in the flame at all times. Beginners concentration.