Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-01, 9:56pm
just another glass addict

Default can I reuse an opal

I made a marble with and opal. No problems with the opal, but the marble cracked in weird places from some other issues. Is there any way I can get the opal out and reuse it? I was thinking of heating the marble in my kiln and dropping it in water in hopes of recovering the opal, maybe even in one piece. Anyone try anything like this before with any success?

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-01, 11:49pm

Polly, i hope someone has tried this before. I want to know too.
Old 2010-12-02, 7:43am
Pyromaniac

I'd totally give it a shot. Personally though I'd kiln the marble, punty up and pick off glass until I got the opal. Using the thermal shock technique would have a chance of cracking the opal, or you might have to re-encase, etc. Unless the marble is really huge that's how I'd go.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-12-02, 4:04pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Me too!
Old 2010-12-02, 4:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I'd totally give it a shot. Personally though I'd kiln the marble, punty up and pick off glass until I got the opal. Using the thermal shock technique would have a chance of cracking the opal, or you might have to re-encase, etc. Unless the marble is really huge that's how I'd go.
Yep, get it hot, and strip off the old glass. But, to be honest with you, it depends on how nice the opal is. Is it worth spending all that time getting the opal back out? Now, I have done it a few times in the case of really large opals, or if it is shape that I know I won't be able to get again for a while. I bought the last opal spheres that were available anywhere in the USA, so you can bet I will be going after those if I get any cracks with them. LOL

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-03, 1:22am

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try to dig it out since it should be close to one side. Also, I haven't tried that before and I like trying new things. It's not some great opal or anything, but I like the color and I hate to just waste it so thanks.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-12-03, 6:32am
Pyromaniac

As Eric said, from a production standpoint it may not be the best idea - but from a satisfaction viewpoint it would totally be worth it for me. Even if it doesn't work out you're likely to learn something. In fact, the less it works out the more you're likely to learn

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-12-03, 8:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
As Eric said, from a production standpoint it may not be the best idea - but from a satisfaction viewpoint it would totally be worth it for me. Even if it doesn't work out you're likely to learn something. In fact, the less it works out the more you're likely to learn
I agree. If anything, you've tried something new to us. Let us know what you get!

Vanessa
Old 2010-12-03, 8:45am
TravelLight&Don'tRush

I'm curious to know what happens too.
Old 2010-12-03, 9:17am

One good thing is that since the piece is already messed up, you can feel free to experiment with it. Some of my best ideas have come from playing with a messed up piece.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-12-03, 9:35am

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure if I'll get to it today or monday, but I'll post my results. I love experimenting with glass, but I also love it that I can come in here and get helpful hints and advice. I don't need to reinvent the wheel or anything. Thanks for speaking up!!

-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-12-04, 2:14pm
boro color bender

Yep yep... just peel off what you don't want... it'll be a good lesson in peeling glass.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-12-09, 10:00am

Well, that was easy. I finally got to it yesterday. Soaked it in the kiln at 1050 while I made some stuff for probably an hour or so. My marble was about 1.5", but the opal was close to the edge. I puntied up to the opposite side and just peeled away with tweezers. It might have taken 10 minutes at the most. I was a little worried about cracking the opal or getting scum, but it all went well and I made a new marble with it. I can see it might not be worth the couple bucks it cost, as far as production goes, but I don't have many opals and if I don't have to wait for new ones to come in the mail (not a good planner) then it's worth it to me. Oh, and it wasn't half as bad as peeling clear morretti for encasing, which I do regularly.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-12-09, 10:29am

Glad it worked out.