Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-06-11, 2:43pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

Default What are the Pros and Cons of each different torch?

I work on a HotHead and love it.

Pros
- It is slow enough for a new glass worker to learn how to control the glass and not have the glass control them.
- It has a wide bushy flame
- It is one of the cheapest torches on the market
- It can be used with MAPP gas and propane (bulk works best)
- Easy setup

Cons
- It is NOISEY (I call mine my little fire breathing dragon)
- The flame is not as hot as an oxy/propane torch

Feel free to post your Pros and Cons for different torches. Its great to hear about different types of torches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-12, 10:11am
Glassy Lady

I want to add one thing to Sarah's list on the Hot Head: you can't adjust the flame chemistry, it's always got a reducing flame.

Here are some of my observations on some torches I've worked on.

Nortel Minor: a nice beginner's oxy-propane torch. It's easy to adjust the flame, but I can't get a pinpoint flame on this torch, when I try to adjust the flame to a very small flame, it loses focus and becomes an unfocused flame. Easy to do reduction.

GTT Bobcat: My favorite little torch. It burns hotter than the Minor, hot enough to do small boro beads easily. I can adjust the flame much smaller than the flame on the Minor without losing the focus of the flame, allowing me to work with very small detail. The Bobcat has a focused flame, so if you are looking for a bushy flame, this is not the torch for you.

GTT Lynx: It burns hotter than the Bobcat. I can adjust the flame to a pinpoint for very small work, but at the same time I can turn this torch up to work boro beads. The Lynx has a focused flame, so if you are looking for a bushy flame, this is not the torch for you.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO