No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-03-27, 8:13am
sunscreen me baby

Default Unblock a regulator?

I have a propane regulator that I used regularly for 5 years. A while back I got another so I could hook up two torches. For whatever reason I stopped using the old one and it sat on a shelf for about a year. I tried to use it the other day and nothing will come through. What would be the best way to clean it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-27, 9:40am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Unless you are familiar with taking it apart and putting it back together I don't recommend trying to do it yourself. Ask the local weld shop where they get regulator repairs done and send it there. Shouldn't cost much to clean unless they find it needs parts.

This applies to single stage regs only.
IF you decide you have nothing to loose in doing it yourself I would get a can or two of carbeurator cleaner from the local auto parts place and spray that into all the openings and let it soak for half an hour or so. Unscrew the adjusting handle also and spray into the hole. Blow it out with air and do it again several times. Blow it out good and even let it sit a day or two before reassembly. Put the pressure adjusting 'T' handle back in and try it out. Most likely cause of sticking is that the 'smelly' oil in the propane has congealed around the little valve.

Regulators are pretty simple mechanisms with only 6 or so moving parts so not much can go bad. Passages and ports for guages are not shown.
Attached Images

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-03-27 at 9:47am.
Old 2010-03-27, 1:32pm
sunscreen me baby

You rock! My son got that gleam in his eye when I asked him if he would attempt this for me. Thank you.

~

Old 2010-03-27, 5:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I don't know if I would use carburetor spray.... Some of the synthetic materials in regulator may react badly to the cleaner and swell and distort or become soft and gummy, permanently ruining internal parts and making regulator total useless instead of just being able to cleaned and repaired at welding shop...

Using any type of unproven cleaners or methods seems a little risky to me, and I would avoid doing it.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-28, 12:12pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Almost all the parts in these things are metal..totally unaffected by the cleaner. It's broke now and requires some type of repair/rebuild/cleaning so you can't break it more but you may fix it. A good chance to learn something in any case. I guess being a ships engineer for my whole career and having to make, repair, improvise, and invent solutions away from the 'experts' gives me a different outlook on problems. Worse case.. it still diesn't work and some gaskets have to be replaced.. which would be the case anyway when it went in for rebuild.
Old 2010-03-28, 12:56pm
sunscreen me baby

Well I can't get it apart. It's corroded and my strong teenage son can't get it to budge. I'll just ask the guys at the welding shop if they can do something with it. Thanks for the help and concern guys, I appreciate it.

~