No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2021-04-13, 12:24pm

Default Torch advice! Please :)

Hola all

I need some input on a dual fuel torch. I was a lampworker back in the heyday of lampwork and quit for about 10 years. Now I’m in the process of building my studio again I have been using a Hothead - used a Nortel Minor back in the day. Getting a little frustrated so I am figuring out what torch to buy. I don’t want to work with anything but soft glass, so my first go to is another minor because it’s what I know. But I have also be looking at a National 3A (unsure if I am totally correct on that model number) can y’all help me know the differences of these torches? And how does the National being a premix change things? Price does matter in my budget, so this is the reason I’m staying in this price range.

Thanks y’all!
Old 2021-04-13, 5:49pm
Phill

I have been happy with my GTT Cricket on house hold natural gas and a 10lpm oxycon.
Old 2021-04-14, 12:20pm
It's time to sparkle

If can afford it, you will not believe the difference a bump up from a Minor can make. The heat focuses and penetrates so easily with say, a Bethlehem Alpha. I stopped using a Minor like 15+ years ago and my abilities sky-rocketed.
Good luck and welcome back to playing with fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2021-04-21, 3:19pm
JGarcia

I am actually new to lampworking. I started with a Hot Head. Got me hooked. I then took a beadmaking class using a surface mix torch. I was immediately sold on the surface mix. The Hot Head is like sitting behind a jet engine, the surface mix noticeably quieter and a lot more powerful. That being said I purchased a used GTT Bobcat from the studio. Of course that was just part of it. Decided to go with a modified oxygen concentrator. Actually the same price or less than purchasing an tank, oxygen regulator and flash back arrestor. Only needed the setup for the propane. Al I need now is the time to perfect the perfect bead. The GTT Bobcat is great and inexpensive torch to own. I had a couple of questions and their customer service was great.