Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-18, 9:17am

Default broken cg beadroller

Dropped and broke my donut beadroller. Graphite broke in two. Donna said super glue might work, but no luck. Anybody else have luck woth anotjer adhesive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-18, 9:31am
Lifelong Student

Could you epoxy a metal plate to the bottom?
Old 2014-04-18, 10:15am
Wonder-wench

I've seen a thread on this topic in the past, try the search function. I'm pretty sure whatever the poster in that other thread used worked out OK

Old 2014-04-18, 10:40am
I'm meeeeelting

I use super glue on my broken beadroller. It holds for a while and then comes apart. I've had to re-glue many times. I love these rollers, but I think some of them are just too thin for the largest cut outs. I didn't even drop mine. It broke in my tool bag.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-04-18, 11:26am

I glued mine with one of my jewelry glues and it has stayed.

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2014-04-18, 1:21pm

I used super glue-it probably took three times before it stuck well but it has held for several years now. It was a donut roller, dropped it the first time I used it.

Georgia
Old 2014-04-18, 2:19pm

I wish they were made out of brass for this reason, I bought a sampler that got broke, haven't tried gluing it yet but I use the un affected parts still.
Old 2014-04-18, 4:36pm

Thanks everyone...very frustrating to say the least. I give up, and just ordered a new one. Will post the broken one (dirt cheap) for anyone that might be interested in playing with the glue!

Old 2014-04-18, 10:06pm

I used a combination of super glue, a high-heat epoxy (don't remember the name), and a flat brass inch wide strip to the bottom. Clamp the roller together for a couple of days so the super glue can really set. The result isn't pretty, but it's still hanging together and gets plenty of use.
Old 2014-04-19, 12:05am

E6000 and clamps overnight. Be sure to thoroughly clean out any residual glue that squeezes out immediately.

Barbara
Old 2014-04-19, 8:51am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeconroy View Post
I wish they were made out of brass for this reason, I bought a sampler that got broke, haven't tried gluing it yet but I use the un affected parts still.
I have a round roller made out of brass. I wish it were graphite honestly... It grabs the glass and I find it's easier to use like paddling a press. :-/

I have other shapes in graphite just wish there was a happy medium. Haven't broken my graphite yet (jinx's self...oh crap!)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-04-19, 9:57am

Mine didn't hold together no matter what glue I used.
I won't buy any that are long and skinny.
Old 2014-04-20, 7:04am

I had that happen and I just glued it to another flat marver, so it had a wide base. I use it all the time, and still have the reverse side to use on the flat marver.
Old 2014-04-21, 11:37am
dances with ideas...

I bought a used one from Sherry that she had glued. Whatever she did has held up very well for some time now.

Old 2014-04-21, 5:07pm
I'm meeeeelting

Mine lasted for all of an hour on this last gluing, but I realized I don't really need the handle. I'm setting on my torch mounted marver, instead. The metal back plate on the marver holds it in place.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2014-04-21, 6:16pm

My husband used J B weld on my and it has lasted for years. Just make a scrap bead and roll it in it and it will burn out the extra seepage.
Old 2014-04-21, 10:57pm
I'm meeeeelting

Do you know where to get it, Lynda? I don't even care about the broken cavity. It's the largest size. I usually use the 2nd and 3rd smallest, occasionally the 4th.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2014-04-22, 12:37pm
Glass-aholic

Jb weld can usually be found at the hardware store, but also at the car part store (advances auto/autozone etc)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-04, 11:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

I dropped my broken beadroller and broke it in another spot last week. Lucky for me, Donna had a booth at the bead show I was at this weekend so I replaced plus I bought a different one. I was very happy to see that they're now making the long rollers much thicker. I'm hoping that'll prevent a lot of breakage.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2017-08-27 at 1:26pm.
Old 2014-05-05, 6:14am
hyperT

The fumes from Super Glue are very poisonous not a good idea to put in on anything that comes in contact with heat.
Old 2014-05-06, 8:17am

Default better broken

I received a long bead roller (garage sale) broken in two.
After removing the handle, I used 5 minute epoxy on the entire bottom surface of both pieces to adhere to the back of ANOTHER long bead roller.
Holds without any smell/fumes and kind of handy.
I love the skinny rollers...

Old 2014-05-06, 5:12pm
Angie09

GREAT IDEA!! Thanks
Old 2014-05-06, 5:23pm
I'm meeeeelting

Brilliant!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2014-05-07, 3:02am

Smile

Aww, thanks.
Old 2017-08-27, 11:29am
dances with ideas...

I used JB weld, and can't recommend it. It really didn't want to hold together so it was a lot more work than I expected, and now there is a whitish powder coming off of it. Yuck!

Old 2017-08-27, 1:06pm
Slogan Challenged...

I sold my broken one too, and they managed to fix it somehow.
I don't like the durability of the long ones, but I love using them.
Come to think of it, I wonder what they use to stick the handles in? I have a regular size paddle type that I use daily and the screwdriver handle is coming loose.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-08-27, 1:24pm
I'm meeeeelting

I bought some foot long brass strips, cut them in half and glued them to the back of all my long beadrollers with JB Weld. I haven't broken one since. May be a good way to repair one that's already broken, too.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2017-08-30, 5:55am

I used JB Weld, smells a little, but great holding power.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 2017-09-02, 10:07am
dances with ideas...

Does anyone else's JB weld look like this? Powder that comes off easily? And you can see that it is cracking.

The brass strip idea is great!
Attached Images

Old 2017-09-02, 10:14am
dances with ideas...

And did you use this exact stuff?
Attached Images