LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-08-02, 12:54pm

Default Can I use Smith little torch to make glass beads?

Hi!

I'd like to buy a torch for glass bead making and jewelry(mostly silver and 10K gold).

I don't want to spend money to buy two torches(glass and jewelry) for now.

Can I use Smith little torch to make glass beads? I might buy different tips for the bigger frame for glass frame work.

1. Smith Heating Tips(Propane or Natural Gas 13717)

2. Shelbo Whisper Tips (50 holes)

I know I can use a little torch for jewelry.
Is there anyone who uses Smith little torch for glass bead making?

* Anyone selling used torches? oxygen generator? *

Thank you!
Old 2017-08-02, 3:02pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Maybe very very tiny beads. But, no. Not really. And modifying it to work would have no benefit when you consider the cost. Lampworking uses bench mounted torches designed for softer bushier heat, the metal torches are handheld, with a very narrow flame meant for heating a tiny section of metal without turning the whole piece into a puddle. Metal and glass have completely different working qualities.

Just a suggestion: Look in the Facebook Lampwork Destash Groups and see if you can find a minor burner used- they are usually around $100-125 used. If there is a lampwork supply company or another lampworker near you, maybe you can arrange to see a lampworking setup in person.

I may have a minor burner available, I bought several used for a local makerspace and it might not pan out. Message me if you're interested, I should know within the month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-08-02, 4:23pm
Loving learning

That's what I was thinking, but I've not got much experience with jewelry torches so didn't want to jump in earlier.
Old 2017-08-02, 5:21pm

What you can do is use the same tanks and regulators to power both torches. Set them up with a y connector, or with quick connects.
Old 2017-08-02, 8:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
That's what I was thinking, but I've not got much experience with jewelry torches so didn't want to jump in earlier.
Thank you for your answer!
Old 2017-08-02, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
What you can do is use the same tanks and regulators to power both torches. Set them up with a y connector, or with quick connects.
Thank you!

I need to see how Y connector works. Can I use same tank and regulator?

I'd like to buy EX-5 OXYGEN CONCENTRATOR. Do you think it will work?

Thank you!
Old 2017-08-02, 9:07pm
Phill

My thoughts went to using a hot head on fuel only with using the Smith little torch for spot heating if you feel the need.

But I am spit balling and letting my imagination run free here.
Old 2017-08-03, 1:31pm

I started with a GTT cricket on a 5lpm concentrator. I added a Smith mini torch with a T splitter on the same propane tank and the same concentrator. Works just fine. In my case, I attached the splitter right at the tank and the concentrator, with then two hoses attached at each: one for the mini torch, one for the large torch. I can open and close the flow to each hose.

With the mini torch you can get the heat to melt glass (including borosilicate), but you can only 'spot heat'. It would be very hard to get a whole bead evenly hot with the mini torch. Also, because it is a handheld torch, you wound need to put it in a stand to be able to have both your hands that you need to hold the mandrel and your glass rod.
Old 2017-08-05, 11:13am
Karen

you'd be better off getting an inexpensive hot head or fireworks type torch- they are inexpensive and a great way to get started with minimum cost.
Old 2017-08-05, 3:32pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post
I started with a GTT cricket on a 5lpm concentrator. I added a Smith mini torch with a T splitter on the same propane tank and the same concentrator. Works just fine. In my case, I attached the splitter right at the tank and the concentrator, with then two hoses attached at each: one for the mini torch, one for the large torch. I can open and close the flow to each hose.

With the mini torch you can get the heat to melt glass (including borosilicate), but you can only 'spot heat'. It would be very hard to get a whole bead evenly hot with the mini torch. Also, because it is a handheld torch, you wound need to put it in a stand to be able to have both your hands that you need to hold the mandrel and your glass rod.

The splitter is the best option if you want to use both at once. Alternatively, if you just want to use the same oxy and propane sources at different times, you could put quick connects on both and your oxy and propane sources and quickly swap the torches in and out.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2017-08-06, 8:51am

I don't think they make a Shelbo 50-hole tip for the Little torch - the biggest I've seen is 12-hole. I've used a 13-hole Shelbo tip for the National 3a, and I'd take it over a hothead for making beads.
Old 2017-08-06, 11:04pm

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post

Thank you so much!
I will buy the used minor torch and will buy new Smith little torch with magnetic support.

This is really helpful Floorkasp! I really appreciate it.

I am a beginner so I have no idea what tools I need to buy. I'd like to buy EX-5 OXYGEN CONCENTRATOR(5 LPM) it's about $300. would it be fine? which one are you using? If I can see the work set up, it would be really great to understand how to set up.

Thank you!
Old 2017-08-06, 11:08pm

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
The splitter is the best option if you want to use both at once. Alternatively, if you just want to use the same oxy and propane sources at different times, you could put quick connects on both and your oxy and propane sources and quickly swap the torches in and out.
Thank you! artsyuno

Can I use both torch at the same time with the same oxy and propane?
or I have to use only one torch?
Old 2017-08-06, 11:09pm

Default Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
I don't think they make a Shelbo 50-hole tip for the Little torch - the biggest I've seen is 12-hole. I've used a 13-hole Shelbo tip for the National 3a, and I'd take it over a hothead for making beads.
Thank you! dusty!

So I can use Smith little torch with 13 hole shelbo tip to make the beads??
Old 2017-08-06, 11:45pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sese View Post
Thank you! artsyuno

Can I use both torch at the same time with the same oxy and propane?
or I have to use only one torch?
If you wye-connect them, you can use both.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2017-08-07, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
If you wye-connect them, you can use both.
Thank you! I will buy Y splitters for oxygen and propane.

Hopefully, I can share the torch setting with you guys also for the beginners like me lol

I just got the used minor torch!

and I will buy oxygen generator today.

Any recommendation for oxygen generator?

I would like to buy the below one EX-5 (5 LPM).

https://www.abrimagery.com/store/pro...trator-p-99614
Old 2017-08-09, 2:30pm

It sounds like I'm late to the party, but you made the right decision. My wife uses the Smith little torch for metalworking, and out of curiosity I fired it up and tried to melt glass. No luck, though the tiny flame is handy for striking/reducing much smaller areas of a bead than I can manage with my main torch.

Also, you can definitely use splitters on the oxygen/propane lines to run both torches, though with the default tips the Smith likes to run between 2-4 psi (I can't speak for the Shelbo tips) on both oxygen and propane, so if you try to run both at the same time you the pressure might be a bit low for your Minor.

Last edited by ContrarianReefKeeper; 2017-08-09 at 2:37pm. Reason: Too quick on the 'Post' button
Old 2017-08-09, 3:09pm
ManBearPig

You can indeed. I did a demo at a local college for their metalsmithing class. I made three pendants on a Smith with a #7 tip. All borosilicate. The #7 is just about the same size as the center fire on a Carlisle CC. Melts glass just fine.

Old 2017-08-09, 5:03pm

pack a lunch
Old 2017-08-10, 11:50am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
pack a lunch
Not really. Took me maybe 15-20% longer than on a standard torch.

I've had a couple others ask about it too. If I get time this weekend I'll do a video doing it.

Old 2017-08-10, 4:23pm

sounds like fun.
Old 2017-08-10, 4:24pm

so just a snack