No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-02, 11:15am
...displaced ocean lover

Default Barracuda and Oxycon???

I'm so excited - I'm buying a (used) Barracuda!!!

I have tons of questions but the first one(s)

---If you have a Barracuda, how do you run it? Tanked? Big giant tank or can a small tank do?

Do any of you run it on an Oxycon??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-02, 11:54am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I run mine on two M-15s. Three would be better. Or maybe two M-20s. It does pretty well on two M-15s though. I got mine from Jack at Unlimited Oxygen. They've been trouble free for over a year and a half. I love my Barracuda. It's really a great torch.

Old 2012-04-02, 12:00pm

I love mine too. I run 1 M-15 for soft glass (inner fire only), 2 M-15's for small boro beads, buttons and sculpture, and I have a 3rd one (got a really good deal) for tubing and bigger boro.

A quick tip- When I'm only running 1 M-15 and need a soft reduction flame, I open the outer oxy knob a bit. It's perfect for many DH glasses.

Old 2012-04-02, 12:57pm
da General

I hated it with just one M-15 even with just the inner flame (just not enough oomph!), was okay with it with two M-15s (inner flame was great but both flames, not so good), and am happy with it with one M-15 and a Regalia (awesome inner flame and good with both flames). Not exactly tanked oxy but I can make pretty huge gather of murrini pull fairly easily.

Note: the Regalia on its own is actually equal to two M-15s even though if you look at the numbers (psi/lpm), the Regalia is supposed to output much less than two M-15s.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-02, 1:23pm

I have a Cuda and at the studio use either tanked oxy or liquid oxy. At my home studio, I run the same torch with 3 Ex15's. ;-D Samma

Old 2012-04-03, 7:17am
...displaced ocean lover

Thank you all for the information!! I'm so happy to hear that it CAN run on oxycon(s) I'm so glad you ladies have one, too. I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions of you all.

Rebecca this is so great to know. Of course, I don't have it yet so had no idea that it even HAD an outer knob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I love mine too.
A quick tip- When I'm only running 1 M-15 and need a soft reduction flame, I open the outer oxy knob a bit. It's perfect for many DH glasses.

Wow Hayley...is there anything you don't know!? This is great info b/c I already have two 10's and one 15. Maybe a Regalia is next on my list? I have the two 10's hooked up now and don't even use my 15! I can melt boro...maybe they ARE 15's how do you even know? I just figured b/c they were older they were "lower".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
and am happy with it with one M-15 and a Regalia (awesome inner flame and good with both flames). Not exactly tanked oxy but I can make pretty huge gather of murrini pull fairly easily.

Note: the Regalia on its own is actually equal to two M-15s even though if you look at the numbers (psi/lpm), the Regalia is supposed to output much less than two M-15s.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-03, 7:21am
...displaced ocean lover

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandsha View Post
I have a Cuda and at the studio use either tanked oxy or liquid oxy. At my home studio, I run the same torch with 3 Ex15's. ;-D Samma
LIQUID oxy??

Does it use up a lot of oxygen, I mean, hmmm....not sure what I'm even asking...will I need to refill a lot? Does it use less if it's "liquid"??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-03, 8:03am
I'm meeeeelting

I run mine on 2 Regalia's that run through a holding tank at home. I run it on liquid when I use the flameworking studio at Pratt, a local art school. I definitely get more heat and can get a bigger flame on liquid, but for most of my needs, the concentrators do fine.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-04-03, 8:12am
...displaced ocean lover

Felicia, I keep reading about a "holding tank"...I thought I saw a thread discribing how to build it but I can't find it again. Did you make yours yourself??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-03, 8:23am
da General

Here you go:

http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-03, 9:34am
...displaced ocean lover

Well THAT is just amazing! Thanks girl!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-04, 5:49am

Liquid oxy comes in big tanks...big big tanks. We run our studio on a large liquid oxy tank. 10 torches available. Even on a heavy months a tank will last us close to or slightly over a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
LIQUID oxy??

Does it use up a lot of oxygen, I mean, hmmm....not sure what I'm even asking...will I need to refill a lot? Does it use less if it's "liquid"??

Old 2012-04-04, 9:36am
da General

Roo - as I understand it, liquid oxy is good for studios but not so good for individual unless you torch all the time for it evaporates when left unused.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-04, 11:48am
...displaced ocean lover

Ohhhhh.....okay, guess that's why I've never heard of it. I don't have a big giant studio like Samma.
And Hayley, I do torch all the time now...well, 4-5 times a week on average but I'm thinking that liquid oxy would be overkill.

Thanks!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-04, 1:57pm
Cave Dweller

$38.00 total at HarborFreight.

A little teflon tape and this:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221464

is all you need for the Trey Cornette style tank setup.

Works dandy.
Old 2012-04-04, 8:56pm
I'm meeeeelting

The holding tank is very easy to make and takes just a few minutes. You're really only switching out a little bit of hardware. I used Trey's tutorial. Now I'm working on a foot pedal and trying to figure out what'll work better with my oxy configuration - switching to a Bravo or getting a quad manifold for my 'Cuda.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-04-05, 4:21am
Pyromaniac

I ran my 'cuda on 2 5 LPM oxycons. It did surprisingly well. 2 M-15's would be pretty nice, and three M-15's close to ideal for most work, boro or soft glass, I'd think. On concentrators it's important to remember that your flame may have a tendency to reduce colors even when it seems like it shouldn't. Try to work a little further out in the flame with atmosphere-sensitive colors - just in case.

But nothing beats tanked and/or liquid oxygen. NOTHING.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-04-05, 7:44am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking Once again, a ton of GREAT info!! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
$38.00 total at HarborFreight.

A little teflon tape and this:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221464

is all you need for the Trey Cornette style tank setup.

Works dandy.
I might need photos...I'm not sure I'm this "handy".
Also, the guys at the Ferguson Air, where I used to fill my giant propylene(sp?) tank, said never to put tape on the ends of the connectors. They said they are made to fit perfectly tight but if you tape it you actually ensure a leak. Thoughts?? I'm not disputing one or the other, just wondering which way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
The holding tank is very easy to make and takes just a few minutes. You're really only switching out a little bit of hardware. I used Trey's tutorial. Now I'm working on a foot pedal and trying to figure out what'll work better with my oxy configuration - switching to a Bravo or getting a quad manifold for my 'Cuda.
Foot pedal....ahhhhhhh (you have to make that sound Homer does after he says Beeeeerrrrr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I ran my 'cuda on 2 5 LPM oxycons. It did surprisingly well. 2 M-15's would be pretty nice, and three M-15's close to ideal for most work, boro or soft glass, I'd think. On concentrators it's important to remember that your flame may have a tendency to reduce colors even when it seems like it shouldn't. Try to work a little further out in the flame with atmosphere-sensitive colors - just in case.

But nothing beats tanked and/or liquid oxygen. NOTHING.
Well, I CAN rent a tank at Ferguson Air just up the road but it seems really expensive. How much tanked O2 do you use? Well, not you but the torch

Further out in the flame...got it! Thanks!! And what ARE the atmosphere-sensitive colors in Boro??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 10:51am
Now part of the Dark Side

I recently purchased a tank from a local supplier, I now have 2, a 125 Cu Ft tank ran me $250, and they come full of O2. On my Bravo I get about 20-24 hours of run time on one tank. Depending on how often I open up the outer fire.

ETA:
When I go to Corning NY for classes the soft glass classes run on natural gas what a big difference that makes on the Bravo. Much nicer flame.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:24am
...displaced ocean lover

Really? Gas? I never knew that...I thought it was a cooler, dirtier fuel. It would be nice to never worry about running low on fuel though.

But 24 hours of run time for one tank. Jeeze...I'll be filling up at least once a week. That could get pricey quickly!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 11:49am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
I might need photos...I'm not sure I'm this "handy".
It's really simple, the photos in Trey's tutorial show how to do it very
clearly.

The most difficult part is the removal of the valve stem and that
is as simple as removing a screw in a hole, especially if you buy
the $1.99 valve stem tool Trey recommends.

Quote:
Also, the guys at the Ferguson Air, where I used to fill my giant propylene(sp?) tank, said never to put tape on the ends of the connectors. They said they are made to fit perfectly tight but if you tape it you actually ensure a leak. Thoughts?? I'm not disputing one or the other, just wondering which way to go.
For B type and other CGA fittings that is correct.

The little air tank has an NPT fitting that needs a bit of teflon tape
to get a good seal.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:54am

Quote:
Really? Gas? I never knew that...I thought it was a cooler, dirtier fuel. It would be nice to never worry about running low on fuel though.

But 24 hours of run time for one tank. Jeeze...I'll be filling up at least once a week. That could get pricey quickly!
Cooler yes, dirtier no. When I take boro classes they use propane. I only torch about 8 hours a week so one tank lasts almost a month. $20/month I can live with.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:01pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh...I only "know" what the guys at Ferguson Air tell me They said proplyene (sp?!) was hotter and cleaner. (had a big tank of it when I was on my HH) Then propane and then gas (in order of heat and clean burning).

Anyway...are you saying a tank of O2 lasts a month and costs $20 to refill or are you talking about propane?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 1:28pm

$20 for an 02 fill(swap). Propane lasts for ever, well I heat my studio with it too and that uses about 1 pound per hour. Don't always trust what your welding shop guys tell you, Propylene is cleaner than Acetylene, I don't know about propane, but natural gas is the cleanest as it is mostly methane and ethane. Both of those are lighter than air (meaning more hydrogen and less carbon) and extremely clean burning. For working soft glass (COE 104) natural gas is preferred because it is so clean. Less scumming less reduction and a wider range of neutral flame, all better for colors. Boro workers prefer propane because of the hotter flame. Also natural gas needs less oxygen than propane. If I recall correctly natural gas is 2:1 (O2 to fuel) and propane is 5:1 (O2 to fuel), approximately.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2012-04-05 at 1:30pm.
Old 2012-04-05, 1:41pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh...haha...okay! I just figured they'd know since they work with it and sell it. I guess I believe almost anything people tell me.

But $20 for a refill...I almost don't believe that! Is that for a small bottle? I'll have to look around to see if anyone has a better price than what Ferguson Air/Gas had.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 1:51pm

That is competitive for my area. I'm sure that if I started leasing larger tanks and got an account it would be cheaper. But, until I start spending $100/Month on O2 I'm not too concerned. $20 for a 125 Cu Ft tank (that's half of a K tank) I pay almost that much to get a 60 Cu Ft tank filled/swapped (my spare). Around here the cost seems to be the filling and transport more than the actual product in the tank.
Old 2012-04-05, 2:18pm
...displaced ocean lover

Is a welding supply co the only place that I can look?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 2:59pm

Pretty much. Medical O2 is even more expensive.
Old 2012-04-05, 7:51pm

If you search for my previous threads, you'll find quite a bit of info about my experiments with oxycons vs tanked using a bravo.

Short version, I sold my tanked and use 3 M15's plus a holding tank and with the proper settings get 100% pformance equal to the tanked.

I think a Barracuda would not me necessarily do as well though since it is probably more gas/oxy hungry then the bravo.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:52am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy View Post
I think a Barracuda would not me necessarily do as well though since it is probably more gas/oxy hungry then the bravo.
Shoot.
Why is that?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!