Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2013-05-22, 4:25pm
Susan

Default What GTT Torch should I get?

I currently work on a minor bench burner and have for 8 years. And I mostly work with 104 glass but I would actually like to dabble in some boro work. I recently had the opportunity to try out a Scorpion for a couple weeks. I totally loved how it worked with my concentrators (2 Invacare 5's). So here is my dilemma... I really like my minor for it's bushy flame over the cricket middle on the scorpion but I couldn't get over feeling it was too narrow for my longer thinner pieces. I LOVED the outer ring for melting in my encasing layers and for making larger base beads more quickly than I could on a minor. I experimented with starting with the cricket and then turning on the outer ring when the bead got bigger midway through.

If I wasn't going to go after a scorpion.. what would be a better alternative? My glass torch experience is very limited. I spent a few days at a class working on a carlisle which had a nice big bushy flame and I have to admit that I liked it.. however.. I tend to work small peices almost as often I work big pieces. I am curious if there is a torch that sounds like it might be a better fit for me.

Thanks for any responses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-22, 4:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

GTT torches are pin-pointy, but a Phantom will give you a broader, hotter center fire than the Scorpion. It needs way more oxygen, though. If you don't necessarily need an outer fire, consider the Lynx. It's the center fire of the Phantom. If you like a bushy Carlisle flame, the Carlisle Hellcat may be a good option for you. It's a mini cc center fire with an outer fire. The Phantom and Hellcats will need more oxy than your to Invacare 5s, although you may be able to get away with running the center fires on those concentrators with tanked for your outerfire or with a larger concentrator for the outer fire. I'm not sure if your oxy is sufficient for a Lynx. Someone else can probably answer that. The GTT Bobcat may be slightly bushier than the Minor, although I didn't find it to be all that much different. It will run on your existing concentrators.

Did you run the Scorpion on your concentrators? You may find that with more oxy, it's the right torch for you. I don't think 2 5s will run it full out as I've heard it runs okay on 1 M-10 or M-15 but better on 2.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2013-05-22 at 4:46pm.
Old 2013-05-22, 5:07pm
Susan

I really can't manage tanked oxygen so everything I do is on concentrators. I realize that 5's are the minimum, and don't get me wrong.. I thought the scorpion ran beautifully on them so I can only imagine that upgrading to 15's eventually would be ideal. Wally at GTT suggested a 4 stud Scorpion so that I could run the inner flame on my 2 5's and the outer on a 15 and then eventually replace the 2 5's with a 15.. I am just concerned that I may not be able to run 3 concentrators from that area of my house, lol!

Old 2013-05-22, 5:49pm

Keep the minor and hook it up when you want to make things that are better done with that torch.
Old 2013-05-22, 7:39pm
I fart diamonds

Susan, you can do everything on the Cricket that you can do on the Minor; it just takes some getting used to. Until I got my Sidewinder, 98% of the items I made at home were made on my Cricket and I tend to work fairly large.

Hollow fish, 50.2mm tall, 59.3mm long

Tubes, 65mm long. The one on the left is 66.2mm

Those are soft glass, obviously, but the turtle necklace I always wear is boro, made on my Cricket.

Now, that being said, if you intend to start working more larger boro down the line, get a Lynx. If you want to stick with a smaller torch but want more heat than a Cricket, get a Bobcat. And call me when you decide to get a concentrator. (I know a guy.)

Oh! I'll bring my Sidewinder to the next meeting if you want. You can try out the inner flame, which is a Bobcat. Me encanta!!

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-05-23 at 5:13am.
Old 2013-05-23, 4:28am
Angie09

Default Scorpion

If you're going to stay with concentrators the Scorpion is the way to go. I had a Lynx but, in my opinion, it needs tanked oxygen. If you can, keep the minor and buy the Scorpion. I have a Mini CC I use when I need the really bushy flame but use the Scorpion most of the time. You can run one concentrator off the electricity from another room if you're worrying about pulling too much power. I love the Scorpion .....
Old 2013-05-23, 5:10am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
If you're going to stay with concentrators the Scorpion is the way to go. I had a Lynx but, in my opinion, it needs tanked oxygen. If you can, keep the minor and buy the Scorpion. I have a Mini CC I use when I need the really bushy flame but use the Scorpion most of the time. You can run one concentrator off the electricity from another room if you're worrying about pulling too much power. I love the Scorpion .....
My Lynx ran like a champ on concentrators. I've always used concentrators with my GTT torches (including the Phantom) and the only one that really didn't perform well at all was the Cheetah. You just have to make sure you have the right concentrator.

(I do agree that the Scorpion would be ideal; I just don't want people to think that the Lynx needs tanks because it doesn't, and she said torches other than the Scorpion.)

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-05-23 at 5:15am.
Old 2013-05-23, 6:39am

Or you could stack the scorpion on the minor that way you have capabilities of both. I do this with an Alpha and Midrange so I have the pinpoint flames the alpha can generate with the wider softer flame the midrange can make. Just need a set of y-connectors and some mechanical ability to make a bracket to mount them together.
Old 2013-05-26, 6:11am

I upgraded from a Minor to a Lynx and used that for about 8 years, working boro with one Integra 10. It ran beautifully on the concentrator, like Shawnette says. I did things on the Lynx that people always say you shouldn't be able to do. Giant hollow boro beads on the mandrel, large-ish marbles, ornaments, etc. Then I started doing hollow work on the Lynx more recently, and it was amazing what I was able to do with it, but ultimately I needed something faster for the size pieces I was making. Also the heat felt too concentrated (for me)to work large hollow pieces like goblets and stuff; although you can get a Lynx pretty large and fluffy if you turn the propane way up, without necessarily reducing your colors.
A Lynx feels like a big upgrade from a minor, will probably work well on your two 5's, although adding a third (and/or a holding tank?)wouldn't hurt, and it will most likely take you a long way before you feel the need to upgrade again. It is quiet and versatile. I just upgraded to a Sidewinder, because I also can't manage tanks in my situation, but I'm not sure I'm getting much more heat out of it than my Cheetah. I miss the triple mix...
I think a Lynx might be a more appropriate choice for boro, even with concentrators, than a Scorpion.
Old 2013-05-26, 6:52am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I love my Bravo on 2 Regalia 10 oxycon...inner and outer rings run great...