Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2014-07-17, 6:03pm

Default Butterflies

Any lampworker who takes part in the Beads of Courage program will tell you that the Butterfly Beads are the hardest to make - not for the skill involved but for why we make them - what they mean.

Any parent who has received a Butterfly Bead will tell you that they are both the hardest bead to receive and the most precious as well...

I've been thinking of butterflies a lot lately. I've been thinking of all of the children that I worked on when I worked at the hospital, all of the parents, and of my own parents - two dead and one very precious, strong woman that I watch die a little every day.

Butterflies and sailing ships....

My sister sent a poem to me when our mom died and it's been on my mind a lot lately - that and butterflies.

Anyone who has trouble making the butterflies or who has received them (in any form), this may help....

What is dying?
A ship sails and I stand watching
till she fades on the horizon,
and someone at my side
says, "She is gone".
Gone where? Gone from my sight,
that is all; she is just as
large as when I saw her...
the diminished size and total
loss of sight is in me, not in her,
and just at the moment
when someone at my side
says "she is gone", there are others
who are watching her coming,
and other voices take up the glad shout,
"there she comes!" ...and that is dying.
-- Bishop Charles Henry Brent --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2014-07-17, 6:20pm
Lifelong Student

Leslie, that is a beautiful poem and comes at just the right time. My mom is fading quickly and I have been asked to speak at her service. This poem is perfect for this sad goodbye and happy tribute of her life.

May I ask....I understand the idea behind the sailing ship, but how do the butterflies fit in?
Old 2014-07-19, 11:19am

We make the butterfly beads (and sometimes receive them) when the children's disease is too strong and takes them from us - hence the ship. The ship, and the child, sail away from us (or other family and friends that are close to us) but no matter what religion a ship has to dock at another port. When you are waiting for a ship to dock it grows larger, so even though the child (that we make the butterfly beads for) is leaving their loved one, there is someone else who has gone before waiting to greet them wherever their ship docks. It made it easier ( a bit) for me to make the butterfly beads....

Then again, if you ask my sister I have a slightly odd outlook on life and death just to remain sane after working critical care for so long. I think that I lost my soul for a long, long time and these kids helped me find it again, as well as the ability to feel pain - but I wouldn't ever want to lose it again.

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2014-07-19, 12:27pm
Lifelong Student

Leslie, thanks for sharing and explaining. It said it beautifully
Old 2014-07-29, 7:43pm

Leslie - thank you so very much for posting that. I have a friend in need who's taking care of her grandma as she passes and I will share that with her.

Leslie - though I love butterflies, I cannot bring myself to make one yet.
Old 2014-07-30, 6:21pm

Quote:
Leslie - thank you so very much for posting that. I have a friend in need who's taking care of her grandma as she passes and I will share that with her.
(((Hug)))

Quote:
Leslie - though I love butterflies, I cannot bring myself to make one yet.
I cried the first time that I ever made a butterfly. I've had the blessing and the curse of knowing those parents and believe it or not those butterflies are so precious to them, even though the receipt is painful beyond belief. I've met one or two who passed their butterflies on to other family members who experienced the same unimaginable loss.

Every time I make a butterfly I feel as if part of my soul goes with that bead, but I know that that hole gets filled again by the eventual smile of the parent as they look at that butterfly and think of their child.

It takes a long time for their healing to happen, but it begins with a Butterfly.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leslie
Frit Happens...