Lampwork Etc.
 
AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat


Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass


 

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2015-05-20, 7:18am
Angie09 Angie09 is offline
Angie09
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2009
Posts: 1,788
Default If money wasn't an issue ....

What ventilation system would you have? Comments and photos would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2015-05-20, 9:12am
LarryC LarryC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,979
Default

Exactly what I have today. 4 foot square steel overhead pyramid hood, 10" ducting through the wall to a fan mounted on an outside wall. Installed it was less than $1000. Money should not be an issue if you do it right.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2015-05-20, 9:38am
Angie09 Angie09 is offline
Angie09
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2009
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Exactly what I have today. 4 foot square steel overhead pyramid hood, 10" ducting through the wall to a fan mounted on an outside wall. Installed it was less than $1000. Money should not be an issue if you do it right.
Larry ... can you post a pic??? And do you have more than 1 torch under the 4 foot hood??

Last edited by Angie09; 2015-05-20 at 10:44am.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2015-05-20, 12:44pm
Alaska Alaska is offline
Alaska Boro
 
Join Date: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,055
Default

If dollars were not an issue then it would be feasible to contract with a ventilation design firm to do it right. Plus have it professionally installed. And to also pay a third party to make sure the design met all health, government and local codes and filled the terms of the contract.

Of course, a lawyer would have to be involved to draw up the contract and enforce any and all terms.

Yup, big bucks, but with unlimited access to funds this is the way to go.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2015-05-20, 2:44pm
LarryC LarryC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
If dollars were not an issue then it would be feasible to contract with a ventilation design firm to do it right. Plus have it professionally installed. And to also pay a third party to make sure the design met all health, government and local codes and filled the terms of the contract.

Of course, a lawyer would have to be involved to draw up the contract and enforce any and all terms.

Yup, big bucks, but with unlimited access to funds this is the way to go.....
Maybe but in reality you make everyone from the designer to the contractor to the attorneys rich and end up with what you could have done on your own but for a whole lot more money. Do your homework and decide what you want and then find a local sheet metal worker who is willing to do it in his spare time. Worked for me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2015-05-20, 2:45pm
LarryC LarryC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Larry ... can you post a pic??? And do you have more than 1 torch under the 4 foot hood??
I can run two large torches comfortably. I will get a few posted later tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2015-05-20, 5:15pm
Alaska Alaska is offline
Alaska Boro
 
Join Date: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Maybe but in reality you make everyone from the designer to the contractor to the attorneys rich and end up with what you could have done on your own but for a whole lot more money. Do your homework and decide what you want and then find a local sheet metal worker who is willing to do it in his spare time. Worked for me.
As we both know, folks generally do not want to do their homework. Or they have little experience in doing the math and applying the needed principles. They look for answers on the cheap and often make expensive mistakes.

Did you intend to say "but for a whole lot less money"? Or is "but for a whole lot more money" correct?

Unfortunately, the question was not asked in the realm of reality. But from the prospective of unlimited funds. Unlimited funding, then makes the contractor and attorney rich. It is the American way!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2015-05-20, 8:23pm
Dream Fire's Avatar
Dream Fire Dream Fire is offline
Sam I Am
 
Join Date: Nov 29, 2005
Location: Back in the Land of the piņata San Antonio TX
Posts: 723
Default

The thing that I would do if $ was not an issue - have the supply/return air heated and cooled. Or at the very least have the make up air come up from under the building through the center of the table so you do not have to pull in HOT or COLD air into the studio.
But I am renting and the floor is a concrete slab.

Also I would have installed the fan further away - not directly over the hood to help with noise. But again it's not my building and I could only cut the hole in one place....

What do I have? 5ft x 10 ft table the hood is about 6 " smaller than the table all the way around hangs overhead above the table. A fan that pulls maybe a bit more than needed but better a bit more than not enough. Here is a link to the pictures of the hood in the 1st post

Yes I had an HVAC co build it and install it - I talked to Corning and several other "authorities" about the size fan and how much air I needed to move. etc and even after all that you always find something you would have done differently.

Oh and when it comes to the local codes ... most of them have no idea - not the contractors I mean the code inspectors. Before I even started I made sure I could quote universal fire code and more. Knowing your codes and the right words to "spout" really helps
__________________
Nina "Sam" Hibler
In the Torch's Flame I was Reborn. My Passion Ignited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2015-05-23, 4:23am
jhamilton117's Avatar
jhamilton117 jhamilton117 is offline
kinda torching....
 
Join Date: Mar 26, 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 301
Default

I'd pay an HVAC engineer, someone who's sole job is doing the math and figuring out ventilation formulas, to design the system. After that's done, any HVAC tech or contractor should be able to do the install, although you may get a better deal by contracting completely through an HVAC company that specializes in the scientific industry for fume and vapor removal?
__________________
Jeremy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:05pm.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Your IP: 34.238.194.166