No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-02-23, 5:42pm
Angie09

Default ISO: Silver Mica

Can someone help me find silver mica (see the photo). I've purchased it from Art Quest, Howaco and then D'Light Mica from Art Quest but none of them have the right flake consistency. I was some that pretty much look like glitter. Any ideas please!!

Old 2015-02-23, 6:19pm
Senior Moment

Maybe contact these guys? They seem to have a few different sizes: http://www.nmclay.com/ProductDesc.as...Mica200CPowder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2015-02-23, 6:31pm
Storm Queen

Is this what your Artquest mica looks like size wise or is it bigger? This is the smallest I found other than powder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-02-23, 6:37pm

mortar and pestle... chop it up yourself?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2015-02-23, 6:39pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Is this what your Artquest mica looks like size wise or is it bigger? This is the smallest I found other than powder.

This is one that I have and it's very light and airy. The one I want is more substantial... and has a higher shine.
Old 2015-02-23, 7:18pm
Storm Queen

I just did a search for "super sparkly mica" and got these:
http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Flashi.../dp/B008H3NJOQ
http://www.earthpigments.com/super-s...e-mica-powder/

They are powders though. The whole problem with this is you don't know if it's what you want and like until you have it in your hand.

Old 2015-02-23, 7:23pm
Storm Queen

One more:
https://www.bescented.com/index.php?...roducts_id=208

Old 2015-02-28, 10:10am

Default Pegasus Beads just added some to their site

I think this might be what you are looking for. I have been searching as well and the stuff Beverley uses in her beads is brilliant. I pm'd you as well. A new batch was added to their site this morning.

http://www.pegasuslampworktools.co.u...s(3006563).htm
Old 2015-03-01, 6:38pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Arrow Springs may have some.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2015-03-02, 7:36pm

Look at Devardi glass. I think they have some.
Old 2015-03-04, 3:20pm
Phill

I stumbled on to the mica section at the Mountain Glass Arts web site
here : http://www.mountainglass.com/Products/PIXIE-DUST/
Old 2015-03-07, 6:51pm
Storm Queen

So I had to see what all the hubbub was about on FB over this stuff so I ordered some. It's exactly the same stuff I got from Artquest. If what you got from Artquest isn't as fine then you must not have gotten the small flakes. Now I have a major butt load of this stuff. Maybe I should sell it.

Excuse the gold cast, I took these in really poor lighting for size comparison only.

Old 2015-03-07, 7:11pm
Angie09

Boy, this is so weird. My girlfriend let me borrow some of hers and it was very silver and very dense. She got it from ArtQuest.... so I ordered the small flake ArtQuest (and it has the same description # on the back as what Eileen's did) but it's totally different. The new stuff is light and fly away. It clumped and was a mess to work with. Then I bought some from Howaco, it was the same crap as I just got from ArtQuest. So, talking to someone at ArtQuest we figured it must have been their mica D'Light so I bought that. Put a hot bead to it and once it started a flame and the other time it just burned the mica. I just don't get it... What Eileen has is the bomb .... just wish I could find it. Your's looks like the stuff that I think is crap.
Old 2015-03-07, 7:17pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Your's looks like the stuff that I think is crap.
But it's the same stuff that Pegasus is selling. I mean exactly the same. I don't see or feel any difference at all. I can tell you that you can't put mica in the direct flame. My only thought is that maybe the first batch they sold is different from this batch? All I can say is what I got is the exact same stuff I already had from Artquest.

Old 2015-03-07, 7:46pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
But it's the same stuff that Pegasus is selling. I mean exactly the same. I don't see or feel any difference at all. I can tell you that you can't put mica in the direct flame. My only thought is that maybe the first batch they sold is different from this batch? All I can say is what I got is the exact same stuff I already had from Artquest.
Well that's good to know cuz I was going to buy hers too. Thanks you saved me some money!!
Old 2015-04-04, 9:53pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I got the mica from Pegasus and it is more silvery glittery metallic than the stuff I got from Artquest. It's really very glittery and beautiful.

Old 2015-04-05, 11:06am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I got the mica from Pegasus and it is more silvery glittery metallic than the stuff I got from Artquest. It's really very glittery and beautiful.
It's identical to what I got from Artquest.

Old 2015-04-05, 2:02pm

I'm a soap maker and I use mica's from
http://www.tkbtrading.com/category.p..._id=114&page=g
I don't know if this is the same stuff you're looking for or not. Lots of colors to choose from.
Old 2015-04-16, 5:11am
Angie09

Thanks Sudsy but I need a larger size. It all looks like powder on the page you linked ... very pretty though.

Any one else with some mica distributors I might try?????
Old 2015-04-19, 1:10am

I've been using the flakes from Bev at Pegasus and it is fabulous. I've had other flakes that bubble up like made when encased and you're try to melt in. The ones from Bev behave brilliantly and sure do sparkle.
Old 2015-04-19, 2:04pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine-on2 View Post
I've been using the flakes from Bev at Pegasus and it is fabulous. I've had other flakes that bubble up like made when encased and you're try to melt in. The ones from Bev behave brilliantly and sure do sparkle.
Could you please post a pic of a bead with them in it and also of the flakes themselves. It would be really helpful.