LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-08, 9:34pm

Default I want to do it right the first time.

So, I made these arm rests and used them for the first time today. They needed to be clamped to my table. Now I need to permanently secure the joint closest to the base. I want to do it right the first time. They ended up working best with the arm rest surface much closer to the table.

These are the helping hands. So I think the parts are steel. What do you think is the best way to freeze the bottom joint?

Some options I have
1) I have a "little torch" and silver solder
2) I have a soldering iron and the type of solder used to make stained glass windows.
3) Use some kind of glue. (what kind?)
4) take it to a welding shop to have it tac welded.
5) any idea you have that you know will work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-09, 1:30am
picking Job's Tears

Soldering on steel (with a soldering iron) doesn't work very well, but that's the only one of those that I've tried.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-06-09, 7:12am

I didn't think it would either. I don't think it would ever get the steel hot enough.

Old 2009-06-09, 8:07am
when in doubt, add a dot

Michelle I use armrests much like yours. I bought mine. They have a steel plate on the base of the armrest welded to a hollow tube that is bent in a U shape. The edge of the armrest rests on the table top and the u shape catches under the table. They stay on by gravity. That could work for you, unless you need them to be higher than your table.
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2009-06-09, 8:29am

No Jaquetta they don't need to be higher. They actually needed to be as low as I could get them. At this time part of their stability is having one of the top joint resting on my table. Is there a chance you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Here is how they are sitting right now.

Last edited by bousky; 2009-06-09 at 8:40am.
Old 2009-06-09, 8:44am

Hi Michelle - If you want to try soldering, you'd need a propane torch to get the steel hot enough, but I think you won't be terribly happy with the result. Solder isn't terribly strong by itself, and will form a poor bond to steel. You'd be happier getting it welded in place.

That said, there are quite a few epoxies around that might work. I know that astronomers sometimes favor epoxies for some of their telescope assemblies.

If I'm not mistaken, Maren is an astronomer by profession. I don't know if she also builds telescopes or not, but perhaps she has some ideas from her experiences.

Linda
Old 2009-06-09, 9:26am

I was kind of thinking the same thing Linda. I have no experience with steel. I am not sure my "little torch" will get hot enough for steel. Although I do have welding rods (mandrels) If I weld I will bring it to a shop.

I did just have another idea....since the helping hand things are cheap with lesser quality fasteners, what if I switched out the bolts and wingnuts with better quality fasteners. This could possibly hold the joints more securely. I do like the idea of there being some flexibility....I have an Ace Hardware at our closest major intersection.

Maren...an Astronomer by profession. What a great choice she made!

Old 2009-06-09, 11:45am
honorary bead lady

Bousky I do like the Idea of what you tried to do, I think the inherent problem is using the third hands, just too many movable joints.

Solder will not work!
Taking it to a shop to have it tacked $$$.
You could try to braze it.
If you use epoxy you will have to take it all apart, Ruff it up with a gringer, clean it with acetone or lacquer thinner, re assyemble and adjust it, and epoxy it up. I would suggest a thickened epoxy like marine tex.
Old 2009-06-10, 9:19am

wonder if the epoxy putty would work?
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...g-Epoxy-Sticks

or this is the one i have:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/fix-it...75469&ocm=sekw

not sure if it would work, but does harden like a rock.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.