LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-23, 9:22pm

Thanks Dave, just pm'd ya! And Cathie you will LOVE the bead liner! It almost brings me to tears every time i use it to line beads cause it is so easy and all the stress from previous methods was no longer there. I LOVE MY BEAD LINER!!!!

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-09-23, 9:32pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Cathie,

It depends on the size of the mandrel you use. Most are buying the one from Rio Grande which is posted somewhere on this thread. Ah yes, here it is on page 1:

"The silver tubing is Rio Grande 1/4 inch OD by .218 inch ID,
part # 100-907/14. (Same stuff most of you are using.)"

Can't wait to get mine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/b][/i][/font]

Last edited by asimeral; 2009-09-23 at 9:34pm.
Old 2009-09-30, 7:31pm
Enabler

Dave, how much lead time do you have on the Impress right now, and did you get the 3/32 Beadreamers in stock yet? I placed an order for both last night, and just wondering how long to expect.

Old 2009-10-01, 4:48am

Default Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimeral View Post
Cathie,

It depends on the size of the mandrel you use. Most are buying the one from Rio Grande which is posted somewhere on this thread. Ah yes, here it is on page 1:

Can't wait to get mine!

I went to Rio Grande to check out pricing and info on the above and I could not find the description or the item # anywhere...do you know if they aren't carrying it anymore or is there another supplier. I wanted to check out everything and have one sit down at the computer and order everything I needed all at once...Impress, tools, tubing...etc. etc. etc.

Kat
Purr-Sonalities Glass Art
Old 2009-10-01, 4:50am
Certified Glassaholic!

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...tName=10090714

Here's the link to the 1/4 tubing from Rio Grande.

Old 2009-10-01, 5:28am

Thank you for the info...I certainly would have gotten that one wrong... Wow, silver has really gone up!

Kat
Purr-Sonalities Glass Art
Old 2009-10-01, 5:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadaddicts View Post
Dave, how much lead time do you have on the Impress right now, and did you get the 3/32 Beadreamers in stock yet? I placed an order for both last night, and just wondering how long to expect.
Hi,

Your Impress is already finished. I expect to have 3/32 BeaDreamers back from coating on Monday or Tuesday of next week, and will ship your order asap.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2009-10-01, 6:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimeral View Post
Cathie,

Can't wait to get mine!
Quite right. That fits the standard Impress peg that comes installed. Here is another type:

Indian Jewelers Supply, Inc.
Part number STTB27x5mm
www.ijsinc.com
1-800-545-6540

A few people have found that it is slightly too small for a few individual Pandora bracelets though. It is lighter, thinner walled, and has a smaller OD and is therefore cheaper than the 1/4 inch. IJS will ship by regular mail if you ask, (at least they did last year for me) so that can save a couple bucks too.

In General, your mandrel diameter should match the tubing OD. And for the case of Pandora, you want at least 4.4 mm, and to be safe 4.5 or 4.6 mm ID. Unfortunately I've not found any tubing other than those two listed above available in the States that are a good match for Pandora. I like the look of the 1/4 inch myself, but the smaller stuff looks closer to the Pandora brand beads. It is 5.08 mm OD (0.2 inch) X 4.37 mm ID (.172, or 11/64 inch) ID.

You can use a 3/16 mandrel for that. It's close enough. 3/16 inch = .1875, tubing = .2, difference is .0125. A single dip with most bead release brands will make up the difference. Just make a couple wonky test beads to try the fit first and adjust your release thickness as needed. If you clean your beads with a diamond tool, that will probably do the trick regardless.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2009-10-02, 6:28am
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Hi,

Your Impress is already finished. I expect to have 3/32 BeaDreamers back from coating on Monday or Tuesday of next week, and will ship your order asap.

Regards,
Dave
Yippee!! Thanks, Dave!!

Old 2009-10-16, 2:18pm
Wandering Spirit

Here are just a few of the beads I've cored so far w/ the liner and I love it! The deburring tool also saves loads of time.

Dave, I emailed you a week ago and haven't heard anything back about the smaller pegs. My show is in less than a month and need to know if/when you can get these to me- thanks!

Aja

Old 2009-10-16, 5:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aja View Post
Here are just a few of the beads I've cored so far w/ the liner and I love it! The deburring tool also saves loads of time.

Dave, I emailed you a week ago and haven't heard anything back about the smaller pegs. My show is in less than a month and need to know if/when you can get these to me- thanks!

Aja
Hi Aja,

Sorry I disappeared for a few days while doing income taxes. Ugh! I got your email and I haven't forgotten you. I'll send an email right after this post.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2009-10-17, 8:04am
Wandering Spirit

Thanks, Dave!

Old 2009-10-17, 1:39pm
what's a senior moment ?

Dave, sent you a couple of emails about the bead reamers. Did you get them ?
Thanks,
Debbie

Old 2009-10-30, 6:16pm

Thought I'd pop in and share another way to use Dave's Impress tool, which I still love! I posted this a bit ago in the boro room, so I apologize if you've seen it before.

Old 2009-10-30, 6:59pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Very nice, Kim!

Old 2009-10-30, 7:57pm

Thanks, Patty!!

Old 2009-11-01, 8:30pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Dave,

I sent an email awhile back too, still waiting for a reply.

Thanks,

Karen

~
~
~
~
Old 2009-11-01, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giapet View Post
Dave,

I sent an email awhile back too, still waiting for a reply.

Thanks,

Karen
Hi Karen, sorry I didn't your email.
I typically respond the same day, often within minutes. Sometimes when I'm very busy it might be a couple days. But if you send one email and don't get a response in a reasonable time, it's probably because I didn't receive it for one reason or another or somehow I missed it.

Please email me again, or go to artintheround and click the contact page. You'll find my phone number listed there. If all else fails, call me.

Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2009-11-01 at 8:58pm.
Old 2009-11-01, 10:02pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

My Impress yielded this on the first try!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-11-01, 11:42pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Thanks for the super quick response Dave! I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear you have the 5/64 size available, I'll be ordering one of them in the morning.
Your bits are the best!

Karen

~
~
~
~
Old 2009-11-17, 1:52pm
I speak Murrini!

BUMP... Had a hard time finding this thread (subscribed to it now) as it stayed for so long on Page 1.

Question: I have some 1/2" tube and I'm guessing from the size of the cone that if I had the right "peg" I could core beads with the Impress using this wider tube. Dave: Will you ever be offering a peg this large? Is it something you can do custom for me?

Just wonderin'...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-11-17, 2:47pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Dave, sent you a couple of emails about the bead reamers. Did you get them ?
Thanks,
Debbie
Thanks again Dave for responding to my question and emails. Wow.

Old 2009-11-18, 4:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
BUMP... Had a hard time finding this thread (subscribed to it now) as it stayed for so long on Page 1.

Question: I have some 1/2" tube and I'm guessing from the size of the cone that if I had the right "peg" I could core beads with the Impress using this wider tube. Dave: Will you ever be offering a peg this large? Is it something you can do custom for me?

Just wonderin'...

De
Hi DeAnne,

What is the metal type, and the ID? Manufacturer's specs for OD and ID would be best if you have them.

Dave

Old 2009-11-20, 9:33am
Holy Frit Beads

Yea! Just ordered mine! Can't wait to get it!

Thanks a bunch!
Kelly
Old 2009-11-23, 4:26pm

Default NEW FLARING DIES for 1/8 and 3/32 BEADS NOW AVAILABLE

NEW FLARING DIES for 1/8 and 3/32 MANDREL BEADS NOW AVAILABLE!

They are here, and on the site! Order individually, or, the price is 10% off when you buy both sizes as one item (there is a separate order box for that.)

Scroll down ro the bottom of the page:

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe/category_13/Silver-Coring-Tools-and-Supplies.htm

3/32 tubing, whether copper or silver, works GREAT for attaching bead caps, as does the 1/8.

You can get a pretty good flared out lip size with 1/8 tubing, but the 3/32 is pretty small and there is not much metal to work with of course, so don't expect to have big honkin' rivets with 3/32 tubes! If your bead has deep puckers you might not even get past the pucker at all without bead caps. Just want to be clear on that.

RIO sells some silver tubing that is slightly larger than 3/32, but will go through a 3/32 mandrel hole cleaned and reamed slightly with a BeaDreamer or with a thicker dip. The lip on that should be a little bigger but I haven't tried it. You should be OK with any tubing that is at least 1/16 inch ID and up to about .105 OD or so with a little quick reaming for 3/32 beads. 3/32 is .09375 inch BTW.

You can also go a little beyond 1/8 OD the same way if necessary, up to around .135 or so should be fine. Even bigger if you ream your beads out more. The ID should be at least 3/32 inch for your 1/8 OD tubes.

3/32 and 1/8 copper and brass tubing is available in some ACE hardware stores and hobby shops and online. They have aluminum too. I've never tried that though. I think it should work. Only a buck or two to find out!

I'm really busy right now so if someone can post a pic or two after you do some beads, that would be great. TIA.

NOTE: I will probably be raising prices ACROSS THE BOARD soon. I have not raised any prices since I started out in January 2005. I've held off on this as long as I could but it's a fact of life. Just wanted to give a heads up first.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2009-11-23 at 6:17pm.
Old 2009-11-23, 4:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Very cool, Dave! I appreciate that you'll consider making me a WHOPPER!

Now I need to get a darn battery for my electronic caliper and measure; I'll send a PM in the next few days. Silver or Copper will be my metals; I'm assuming I could do either with a custom peg?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-11-23, 5:31pm

Quote:
Very cool, Dave! I appreciate that you'll consider making me a WHOPPER!

Now I need to get a darn battery for my electronic caliper and measure; I'll send a PM in the next few days. Silver or Copper will be my metals; I'm assuming I could do either with a custom peg?

De
If your caliper is a Harbor Freight or similar, it is probably an A76 battery. You can get those in the grocery store. They are used in hearing aids, calculators and watches too. S/B about $1.50 or so. Any metal will work fine with a big hole post.

Dave

Old 2009-11-23, 6:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
NEW FLARING DIES for 1/8 and 3/32 MANDREL BEADS NOW AVAILABLE!

They are here, and on the site! Order individually, or, the price is 10% off when you buy both sizes as one item (there is a separate order box for that.)

3/32 tubing, whether copper or silver, works GREAT for attaching bead caps, as does the 1/8.

You can get a pretty good flared out lip size with 1/8 tubing, but the 3/32 is pretty small and there is not much metal to work with of course, so don't expect to have big honkin' rivets with 3/32 tubes! If your bead has deep puckers you might not even get past the pucker at all without bead caps. Just want to be clear on that.

RIO sells some silver tubing that is slightly larger than 3/32, but will go through a 3/32 mandrel hole cleaned and reamed slightly with a BeaDreamer or with a thicker dip. The lip on that should be a little bigger but I haven't tried it. You should be OK with any tubing that is at least 1/16 inch ID and up to about .105 OD or so with a little quick reaming for 3/32 beads. 3/32 is .09375 inch BTW.

You can also go a little beyond 1/8 OD the same way if necessary, up to around .135 or so should be fine. Even bigger if you ream your beads out more. The ID should be at least 3/32 inch for your 1/8 OD tubes.

3/32 and 1/8 copper and brass tubing is available in some ACE hardware stores and hobby shops and online. They have aluminum too. I've never tried that though. I think it should work. Only a buck or two to find out!

I'm really busy right now so if someone can post a pic or two after you do some beads, that would be great. TIA.

NOTE: I will probably be raising prices ACROSS THE BOARD soon. I have not raised any prices since I started out in January 2005. I've held off on this as long as I could but it's a fact of life. Just wanted to give a heads up first.

Thanks,
Dave
Oooh! Yay!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-28, 10:38pm

Quote:

Just wonderin'...

De

- OH - THAT size would be AWESOME!

Ok, finally got my tool, attachments and debur tool (been wanting one forever and Santa finally delivered - LOL - spent the last few hours pouring over this entire thread all the pics along the way. But alas ... it is late and won't get to play til morning. Can hardly wait!!!

Old 2009-12-28, 11:48pm

Hi Dave

Just sent thru payment for the deburring tool. Can you please give me confirmation that you have recieved this payment?
(Customer receipt - 1463173)

Regards

liz