Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-29, 12:35am
Wandering Spirit

I love having a smaller peg to core these beads- it's a little tricky getting the length just right on the bead since hte smaller diameter doesn't have as much room for error. sorry i'm tyuping w/o my glasses, lol. Here's just a couople of the beads I've made using Dave's liner and smaller pegs..Dave, haven't had a chance to heat the tubing like we talked about, this upcoming cross country move has been kicking my butt and I just haven't had the time- but soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-29, 7:11am
Enabler

Aja, those are absolutely gorgeous!!

Old 2009-12-29, 7:23am

How do I subscribe to this thread?

Thanks

Old 2009-12-29, 9:24am

Smile Help!!

Hi everyone-

I am going to order one of Dave's tools, and (I think) I have read everything in this thread, but I wanted to ask those of you who have done this before if this is what I need to get started:

1 Impress Tool (comes with the 1/4" pegs)
1 4.37 mm size peg (for Ginko's tubing) do I need one of these or 2?
1 Deburring Tool

Now, having never done this, nor seen it being done, do I need the following-(I will be coring regular sized beads for pandora bracelets)

Flaring dies?
Risers (what are these for?)
Screws for the risers?

I see that alot of people order what they think they need, and then have to add to the order once they realize they didn;t have everything. I'm just trying to get everything I need in one "fell swoop"! Thanks so much, Laura

Old 2009-12-29, 9:26am

Smile

Hi Cheryl-

Look up on the right side of the header for this thread, and you will see a red button that says "Thread Tools". Click on it and you will get a pull down menu that has "Subscribe to Thread". Just click on that and it will one of your threads you subscribe to. Laura

Old 2009-12-29, 9:26am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscapes Studio View Post
How do I subscribe to this thread?

Thanks
Go to the "thread tools" section, get the drop down menu, and the last option is "subscribe to thread". The "Thread Tools" section is under the page numbers.

Old 2009-12-29, 1:52pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandryan View Post
Hi everyone-

I am going to order one of Dave's tools, and (I think) I have read everything in this thread, but I wanted to ask those of you who have done this before if this is what I need to get started:

1 4.37 mm size peg (for Ginko's tubing) do I need one of these or 2?
1 Deburring Tool

Now, having never done this, nor seen it being done, do I need the following-(I will be coring regular sized beads for pandora bracelets)

Flaring dies?
Risers (what are these for?)
Screws for the risers?

I see that alot of people order what they think they need, and then have to add to the order once they realize they didn;t have everything. I'm just trying to get everything I need in one "fell swoop"! Thanks so much, Laura
Well, I ordered mine yesterday and was emailing back and forth with Dave to make sure I got what I needed. I plan to use the same tubing you mentioned and ended up with exactly what you have listed here:

1 4.37 mm size peg (for Ginko's tubing) Just one of these... it goes on the bottom part of the press only.
1 Deburring Tool

Dave said that the flaring die that comes with the tool will be fine for that size tubing, so no other dies needed.

As for the risers, I think those are only needed if you are coring something very 'thin' so that the standard height of the pin to the flaring tip would be too big. I'd think for a "standard" application like European-style bracelet beads, those would not be needed.

Hope this helps! I got really swift replies from Dave, so I'd say try emailing him if you're still unsure about something.

Last edited by GlassGalore; 2009-12-29 at 2:39pm.
Old 2009-12-29, 1:56pm
Wandering Spirit

Thanks, Angie

Old 2009-12-29, 2:24pm

Smile Thank you!

Thanks so much Lisa for taking the time to respond!

I thought I was on the right track, but I just wanted to be sure! Now I'm off to order! Laura

Old 2009-12-29, 4:04pm

Thanks Laura and Shelley ... guess I was looking too high in the tool bars

The risers are for making "wider / taller" beads ... so if you wanted to do barrells.

OOPS - found the 4.37 peg - guess it must have fallen out when I opened the little tubie thing.

INCREDIBLY AWESOME SERVICE!!! Dave just called me to "clarify" what the article meant and it was me "misunderstanding" what the article said.

I messed up the first try 'cause I cut the tubing a bit too long and I turned too much too fast. But on the second try ... I managed to do a capped and cored bead - WOOHOO!

Working on my second capped and cored bead and it's going great.

Great tool - Great service!!!

Thank you so much!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dreamscapes Studio; 2009-12-30 at 12:30pm. Reason: oops - I misunderstood
Old 2009-12-30, 10:23pm

WOOHOO ... this is SOOO much fun!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dreamscapes Studio; 2009-12-30 at 10:24pm. Reason: adding image
Old 2009-12-31, 12:46am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Um...yeah...I've made a couple of these since I got the Impress. I LOVE IT! Thank you so much Dave!!!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Last edited by loribeads; 2010-01-16 at 1:31pm.
Old 2009-12-31, 7:15am
Certified Glassaholic!

Dave,

I sent you an email a couple of days ago with a question. Haven't heard back so thought I'd check in. I'll resend the email now just in case

Thanks and happy new year!

-Yee

Old 2009-12-31, 8:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Dave,

I sent you an email a couple of days ago with a question. Haven't heard back so thought I'd check in. I'll resend the email now just in case

Thanks and happy new year!

-Yee
Just replied. Thanks, and a happy and prosperous new year to you!

Dave

Old 2009-12-31, 7:53pm

Thankyou Dave,

I have received my Impress, now I just need to get some tubing and I'll be off and running. Your service is fantastic. Thankyou. I hope to have some postable photos soon.

Wishing you a wonderful and prosperous New Year.

Warmest Regards,

Cheryl.

Cheryl

Cauliflower Creations
Old 2010-01-08, 9:58pm

What peg do you use with the 1/8 and 3/32 flaring tips?
Old 2010-01-09, 9:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
What peg do you use with the 1/8 and 3/32 flaring tips?
Hi Lynda,

I've answered that in another thread where you were discussing this.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...02#post2827602

As I said there, my choice of wording in naming this part was unfortunate and has caused some understandable confusion. Just think of these as centering pegs for small tubes. So, you don't need any other peg with them. They install in the bottom post the same way the pegs do, and perform the dual function of centering and flattening/shaping. They had to be made differently because the centering pins on these "pegs" are actually smaller than the screw threads, which would have left no flat surface for pressing the tubing down onto. So, they have their own flat surface, and a pin sticking up from the center. As soon as I get some new batteries for my camera I'll post a picture.

Bottom line is just treat it as if they are regular pegs and proceed as usual. The same top cone is used.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2010-01-11, 8:50pm

Default Very big hole beads on the Impress

Hi,

Please post what tubing sizes you would like to be able to use on the Impress. I'm talking larger than 1/4 inch. If possible, _please_ list your tubing specs as stated by the manufacturer, and the source, as that would be very helpful to me, but even if you don't know exactly, just list your ideal OD. And, even if someone else has already listed your size, Please do chime in again, because I'm trying to figure out which sizes would be most in demand. Your input is much appreciated!

Regards,
Dave

Old 2010-01-11, 9:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would like to be able to do 1/2" OD tubing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-12, 7:58am

Smile Status of order?

Hi Dave-

I thought maybe I'd see if I could get an update on the status of my order? I'd sent you an email, but I hadn't heard back yet. Thanks, Laura

Old 2010-01-15, 8:20pm

Smile

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the email from a few days ago, did you get my response? I didn't hear back on the status or on the beadreamer. Thanks, Laura

Old 2010-01-16, 8:43am
Temptress

Hi Dave,
I emailed about 3/32 and 5/64 beadreamers a few days ago, but haven't heard back....when will they be available again?
Old 2010-01-16, 8:49am

1/2" please.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-01-16, 8:52am
Certified Glassaholic!

Hi Dave!

Was wondering if you could tell me when my order might ship? I ordered 2 pegs on the 31st.

Thanks

-Yee

Old 2010-01-16, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Hi Dave,
I emailed about 3/32 and 5/64 beadreamers a few days ago, but haven't heard back....when will they be available again?

Me too! and I haven't heard either :0(

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2010-01-17, 1:47pm

Dave,
I emailed last week regarding my Impress and de-burr tool ordered 12/24. My email has been bouncing stuff back to the sender. If this is the case for you, please post to this thread.
Kay Adams
email kadams1977@iwon.com

Thanks,
Kay
Old 2010-01-18, 7:37pm
I ate a big red candle!

Just placed my order. Hooray! I just need the beadliner and the duburring tool to line a 5mm bead hole right?

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2010-01-22, 11:35am

Default You There??

Hi Dave, Sent you an email to find out the status of my order, got no response, so I thought I'd try here. I ordered the 1/8" peg on 1-4, order #1473804.
Hope to here from you soon.
Thanks,
Amy
Old 2010-01-22, 1:26pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for calling. Sorry I missed the call, my music is always too loud! Glad to hear my peg is on the way. I'll post pics very soon. You have a great tool hear.(The Impress, not me)-although that could be argued!
Amy
Old 2010-01-22, 2:50pm

Hi Folks,

I'm here. I've not fallen off the end of the earth. Orders are shipping. Everything should be going out soon, so don't sweat. I did get somewhat backed up due to a high order volume before and after Christmas with everyone spending their Christmas money I guess, but that is under control. I've just shipped out a lot of orders recently, and I've got about twenty five more orders on the bench very near completion, so keep the faith. It'll be there soon.

Most folks are aware of this, but for those who are not, I make all my tools myself. They typically aren't just sitting on a shelf ready to ship, so there will usually be a waiting period before an order ships. Normally that is around one to two weeks. Sometimes it can be considerably longer like right after Christmas time.

May I ask for this favor?
Please don't use the Sale Rack thread to ask me standard customer service questions. Kindly use my direct email dave at artintheround period com instead please. I don't check this thread daily, and it is impractical for me to try to provide customer support about orders via LE.

See, what happens is that folks who have orders in the que come here, see several posts to the tune of where's Dave? (Probably I'm in the shop making their order!) and it appears that I'm nowhere, so they all start emailing me as to the status of their orders, long before they normally would. Then, I'm stuck on the computer answering a veritable BARRAGE of emails because everybody's freaking out and all worried that something is wrong. The other day I had to be at the computer for FIVE HOURS straight answering questions from prospective customers about tubing, pegs, etc, in addition to an unusually high number of "What's my status" questions. So please refrain from using the thread for order inquiries. I may not answer you at all here!

I have already dealt with most of the issues above, directly by phone or email, so don't assume that if you don't see a response in this thread that it means I didn't take care of it. I sometimes don't post responses to these questions because it is redundant and time consuming. But that makes me look bad to the rest of the readers because it appears that I'm not there or not responding to emails in general.

Please give me at least 24 hours to respond.

Sometimes I might accidentally skip an email. But if you don't get a response in 24 to 48 hours then just email me again.

An LE PM is also inconvenient but preferable to this thread, because of the often misleading image a post can impart.

As for BeaDreamers, it will be a while longer till they are in stock. You can email me directly about that and I will point you to one of my wholesale buyers who can sell you one in the interim, while they last.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2010-01-22 at 4:00pm.