Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-10, 7:48am

Default getting purple boro to strike

I bought some purple boro rods from ABR imagery that is made in china.
the rods are a very pale blue. How do I get the rods to strike before I start using them. ABR said light blue is all I will get- which doesn't seem right to me.
thanks
Old 2010-05-10, 7:55am
Covered in glitter

I think I'd trust what ABR said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-10, 7:57am
Harold Williams Cooney

It doesn't strike.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-10, 8:19am
ManBearPig

Not all purples strike.

Colors like Amber/Purple, Purple Luster, etc. will strike. Colors like Lavendar, Berry Gumbolt, etc. won't strike. What you see is what you get with them.

•
•
•
Old 2010-05-10, 8:21am
Addicted to Glass.

I would trust ABR...

on another note...

I currently only buy my colored glass from:
GA, Northstar, and Momka. (USA)

I only use clear glass made by Simax (Czech)

I will not touch glass that I know may be inferior or made in "sweatshops".

I do this for moral and quality reasons. The extra few dollars is worth it to me.

--Mike

Old 2010-05-10, 9:04am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE Glass View Post
I will not touch glass that I know may be inferior or made in "sweatshops".

I do this for moral and quality reasons. The extra few dollars is worth it to me.

--Mike
How to you know maybe? but, besides the point . . .

99.99% of the history of glass has taken place in sweatshops. further, much glass history is people using glass to buy slaves, take land on the cheep and as trinket trade for gold.

OHSA approved glass shops are a thing of current history.

I understand and respect your point of view but the way I see it, the 'Chinese' make great materials and world-class finished product.

Be a shame for you not to have every good materiel available to you in your shop on moral grounds, that despite their blanket validity, are debatable.

just my opinion.

Old 2010-05-10, 9:15am
ManBearPig

You ever been in a shop pulling glass rods? Everyone sweats there...

•
•
•
Old 2010-05-10, 9:19am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Old 2010-05-10, 9:21am

Quote:
TOOOO FUNNY!!! When I toured the factories in China I never saw anyone sweating.. But lots of smiles because they had a job... Of course they were not the factories pulling glass.
Old 2010-05-10, 9:30am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
How to you know maybe? but, besides the point . . .

99.99% of the history of glass has taken place in sweatshops. further, much glass history is people using glass to buy slaves, take land on the cheep and as trinket trade for gold.

OHSA approved glass shops are a thing of current history.

I understand and respect your point of view but the way I see it, the 'Chinese' make great materials and world-class finished product.

Be a shame for you not to have every good materiel available to you in your shop on moral grounds, that despite their blanket validity, are debatable.

just my opinion.
I thank you for your opinion and enjoy a lively debate!

I believe you can know if something might be inferior. It's like you can know that there is a 80% chance of rain.

While the history of glass may have taken place in sweatshops, that does not mean that history can change. I do not have to support the practice and can choose to shop elsewhere.

I would pose this question. Would you support Chinese jewelry imports, and buy them? Perhaps you have seen them on shelves at your superstore. The $2.99 boro pendants made by hand... I believe that if a price seems too good to be true something had to be sacrificed. Either quality of the product, labor costs or both were sacrificed. Would you knowingly buy a product that has these attributes associated with it?

Old 2010-05-10, 9:41am
ManBearPig

For me, it's a case of need. If the American companies made amber glass that stayed amber, I'd probably buy that. If they made black tubing, I'd probably buy that. But, they don't and I need it, so I buy it from wherever I can get it from.

•
•
•
Old 2010-05-10, 9:53am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
For me, it's a case of need. If the American companies made amber glass that stayed amber, I'd probably buy that. If they made black tubing, I'd probably buy that. But, they don't and I need it, so I buy it from wherever I can get it from.
I can completely understand that. You have no other choice but to buy the only product available to meet your needs. I will have to admit that I would have to do the same.

Old 2010-05-10, 12:28pm

If a US made product is available, I will always buy it first. I would also like an amber that stays amber and have mentioned it to GA. I do use the old glasstronix green and purple because US sources don't have the same purple, or a green that is similar and doesn't crack as easily.

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-10, 1:23pm
product of the universe

i buy what works. not all stuff the from china sucks and not all stuff from america is good

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-05-11, 3:50am

Take a look at these videos. Howīs that for american safety? I couldnīt find the clip where they pour glasdust in in the machinery WITHOUT any kind of respirator on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEA4Ge-_O74&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OqO...eature=related

Donīt take this the woring way; but some people are just very sure that if it is american, itīs good and safety is good.

Now you can shoot me (If you can shoot that far -I live in Denmark)

R#115
Old 2010-05-11, 4:57am
crabby...who me?

The glass you have looks light blue under fluorescent light and a light lavender under incandescent light,but does not strike or change from the rod color.WYSIWYG
Old 2010-05-11, 6:34am
Pyromaniac

I just have a comment about "Safety". We Americans have a tendency to insist that our world be wrapped in bubble wrap... and that's not always a good thing. I think it's bad to be subjected to risk without knowledge or consent, but I also believe in personal responsibility. Once you've been informed of the dangers - the responsibility is yours!

In fact, informed UNSAFETY is often necessary to growth. If we didn't have people willing to sit on top of a gigantic bomb and set it off beneath themselves, we'd have never gotten to the moon...

ok rant over

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-05-11, 7:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I just have a comment about "Safety". We Americans have a tendency to insist that our world be wrapped in bubble wrap... and that's not always a good thing. I think it's bad to be subjected to risk without knowledge or consent, but I also believe in personal responsibility. Once you've been informed of the dangers - the responsibility is yours!

In fact, informed UNSAFETY is often necessary to growth. If we didn't have people willing to sit on top of a gigantic bomb and set it off beneath themselves, we'd have never gotten to the moon...

ok rant over
I agree once "we" know its our job to be responsible. A lot of people don't like wearing a mask.

What bothers me is that their workers are probably NOT informed and don't have he luxury of "deciding" to take the risk themselves.
At the very least, I wish these companies would install ventilation in the rooms these workers use to protect their workers. You would think they would want to protect their workers so they could work for more years. ??

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-05-11, 8:05am

Also, don't forget that you have a lot of children working in factories, as well as political prisoner/slave labor stuff going on.

My opinion is that if you buy from China only because it is less expensive, then I don't want to hear any complaints when your best designs get knocked off and sold in walmart for $2-5 each. You can just feel good that your helping out the Chinese companies as you apply for foodstamps.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-05-11, 9:33am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerp View Post
Take a look at these videos. Howīs that for american safety? I couldnīt find the clip where they pour glasdust in in the machinery WITHOUT any kind of respirator on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEA4Ge-_O74&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OqO...eature=related

Donīt take this the woring way; but some people are just very sure that if it is american, itīs good and safety is good.

Now you can shoot me (If you can shoot that far -I live in Denmark)
No shooting. But in those clips the guy in the Blue Shirt is the owner. He SHOULD know better.

Old 2010-05-12, 10:17am

yup, the chinese purple for sure does not strike.

it's just a very light lavender, almost blue when thinned out

as far as the chinese colors go, it's one of the most stable. actually makes a beautiful color when layed over white, orange, red, etc......

Old 2010-05-12, 12:36pm
product of the universe

Chinese purple does some cool stuff with silver and gold fuming.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-05-12, 12:42pm

Default striking colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindayoung View Post
How do I get the rods to strike before I start using them.
I thought that you worked with the rod however it comes, and that you strike the finished product to bring out the color.

Last edited by godling; 2010-07-04 at 10:58am.
Old 2010-05-12, 2:09pm
Harold Williams Cooney

To color strike transparent pendants, I put the price sticker on the back.

Old 2010-05-14, 7:02am

It seems to me that we are talking about two different issues.

Linda did you get the glass figured out?

Heidi

~~
~~