Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-05-13, 4:55pm
Addicted to Glass.

Default Good Table Size?

I belive this will be a perfect table size for me. The kiln will be on my left with the opening facing me. What do you all think of the size?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-14, 8:55am
Somewhat out there!

My thought would be: is this table going to be accessible from all sides? If so great. But if it is going to be up against the wall it may be a big stretch to reach that far to get anything.
Old 2010-05-14, 8:58am
Salt Box Beads

30 inches wide for the big table section would be better. It is too big for you to reach the upper left back corner.

That is all I would change, looks good!
Old 2010-05-14, 11:03am
Addicted to Glass.

The Left side of the table (where the kiln is) will be against a wall. I currently have the luxury of a 40'x40' work area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-14, 11:19am
Melting

I think it looks good.

My table is 9'6" wide by 2' deep by about 30" high, 2x4 (I think) construction, 3/4" plywood on top. I tiled the top and the wall behind and beside with ceramic tile. I actually wanted it deeper but it was more economical to do it 2' deep.

My kiln is going in the right corner with my torch next to it on the left. In the future I currently plan to put another kiln in the left corner and a second (larger) torch beside it, essentially splitting the area in half to create a second work area with the tools in the center.

I've been working on a 3' x 3' table with my kiln beside the table. I think we are both going to love all the extra room

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-05-17, 12:43pm

think it looks great! i would just use that back part of the big table for glass storage. maybe even a tool rack or something. if it's accessible from both sides, you are in business anyway.

Old 2010-05-17, 4:08pm
Addicted to Glass.

To simplify construction (and maximize cost), I have changed my design slightly. Since Plywood comes in standard 4'x8' sheets, I figured I might as well extend the table width to 8'. Also, I changed the kiln area to 3’x3’ to allow extra room around the kiln AND now I don’t have to borrow a wet saw (for cutting the tile).

This table I'm posting cost me ... or should I say someone that has generously donated to helping me become self-sufficient again about ~$100 from Menards. This $100 includes the ceramic tile and the cement. I currently have the framing of the table built and when it is complete and in place will post pictures.

I hope these plans help someone else. If you are planning on building this table, make sure the ouside perimeter is as noted. 2"x4" s are 1.5”x3.5" wide, so take this into account in how and where you place your corner joints. I.E. My 6’ left side board was cut down 1.5” to make the total length 6’, when screwed in against the 8’.

Also, the left side of my table 6' side is being screwed into studs onto an exsisting wall. If your table is going to be freestanding, add 3 legs along that side.

(Side Note): My dad got his degree in engineering and this table is “overkill” for my purposes. So, I think it should hold!

--Mike

My materials list:

4 - 2'x'4'x8
9 - 2'x'4'x6

1 - 4'x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood
1 - 4'x 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood

2lbs of 2.5" Deck Screws (Square or Star Drive)

33 - 12x12 Ceramic tiles

Tile cement (I am not having any room between tiles, so no grout needed)

Perimeter (Includes 2nd supports perpendicular to legs at 10" high):

3 -- 2'x4'x8'- 2 for top 8' section
1 for 8' section (where you sit)

4 -- 2'x4'x6' - 1 for each 3' section (Left)

2 -- 2'x4'x6' - 2 for left 6' section

Inside Bracers:

3 -- 2'x4'x6' - 1 for each 3 foot bracer for main

Legs: (5 total - 30")

1 - 2'x4'x8' - 3 legs
1 - 2'x4'x6' - 2 legs

(FYI the main beams are 24" on center, not 18" as shown in the picture)

Last edited by MACE Glass; 2010-05-17 at 4:13pm.
Old 2010-05-17, 4:09pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
think it looks great! i would just use that back part of the big table for glass storage. maybe even a tool rack or something. if it's accessible from both sides, you are in business anyway.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking glass or tool storage!

Old 2010-05-17, 4:10pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
I think it looks good.

My table is 9'6" wide by 2' deep by about 30" high, 2x4 (I think) construction, 3/4" plywood on top. I tiled the top and the wall behind and beside with ceramic tile. I actually wanted it deeper but it was more economical to do it 2' deep.

My kiln is going in the right corner with my torch next to it on the left. In the future I currently plan to put another kiln in the left corner and a second (larger) torch beside it, essentially splitting the area in half to create a second work area with the tools in the center.

I've been working on a 3' x 3' table with my kiln beside the table. I think we are both going to love all the extra room

Very cool! Do you have any pictures of how it looks currently? I love that you will have 2 torches setup!

Old 2010-05-17, 4:12pm
Addicted to Glass.

All will be accessible from both sides (except the left 6' side) will be against the wall. I'm thinking I also should grow some go-go gadget arms!

Thank you 2 for you imput!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshobbit View Post
My thought would be: is this table going to be accessible from all sides? If so great. But if it is going to be up against the wall it may be a big stretch to reach that far to get anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
30 inches wide for the big table section would be better. It is too big for you to reach the upper left back corner.

That is all I would change, looks good!

Old 2010-05-18, 7:19am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE Glass View Post
Very cool! Do you have any pictures of how it looks currently? I love that you will have 2 torches setup!
Sure! Here it is when we first tiled it. I have since finished laying down the tiles (we had to pre-drill two tiles for mounting my torch), but I still have to add a tile under the outlet and then grout. I'm hoping the butterflies I stenciled don't come off when I grout. I sprayed 4 coats of acrylic sealant but they still seem really delicate.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-05-18, 7:54am
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Sure! Here it is when we first tiled it. I have since finished laying down the tiles (we had to pre-drill two tiles for mounting my torch), but I still have to add a tile under the outlet and then grout. I'm hoping the butterflies I stenciled don't come off when I grout. I sprayed 4 coats of acrylic sealant but they still seem really delicate.

Wow, that is a beautiful workstation! It looks like you are going for both looks AND function. Very nice! I hope the butterflies hold up, they are a very cool personal touch. I can cleary see the two differen't work stations now! It's always nice to have someone to flame with (or to rent it out!).

Old 2010-05-18, 9:09am
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE Glass View Post
Wow, that is a beautiful workstation! It looks like you are going for both looks AND function. Very nice! I hope the butterflies hold up, they are a very cool personal touch. I can cleary see the two differen't work stations now! It's always nice to have someone to flame with (or to rent it out!).

Thank you! I want my studio to feel more like home. I didn't want it to have that cold, diirty "outside building" feeling.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-05-27, 2:41pm
Addicted to Glass.

Here are a few pictures of the table (I just have to grout it now).

What do you all think?

Old 2010-05-28, 8:24am
Montana Treasures

Wow- looks great. I'm jealous.
Old 2010-05-30, 6:06pm
Addicted to Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBono View Post
Wow- looks great. I'm jealous.

Thanks, it was just a LOT of elbow grease.