Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-20, 8:04pm

Default Why make opaque hollows?

I thought the whole idea of doing hollows is the way they look. But with opaque glass, you can't see this. So what is the purposed of making hollow beads with opaque glass? Because they are lighter in weight?
Thanks, Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-20, 8:18pm
da General

The weigh is part of it - it's also a faster way to make a LARGE bead! Here is Aja's gorgeous hollows:

http://wanderingspiritdesigns.blogspot.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-06-20, 8:20pm
Dynamic Duo

Yep - that would be it, the weight! I supposed you could say that they use less glass, so might be cheaper to make?

I am not sure, but for me, making good hollows takes a lot longer than making a solid bead of the same size. Now if I knew nothing about the making process, as a consumer, would it make sense that hollow beads cost more?

I sometimes wonder about just opaque beads in general. Used to do porcelain work, and I see many glass beads that could be done using clay and glazes- weight would be about the same, so that is not an issue there.

Old 2010-06-20, 8:29pm
one day at a time

When I was on the HH I used to make big honkin' opaque hollows! Well, to me big was 25-30mm.

Lighter in weight, they have a lot of appeal to designers, esp. for chunky bracelets.
Old 2010-06-20, 9:32pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
The weigh is part of it - it's also a faster way to make a LARGE bead! Here is Aja's gorgeous hollows:

http://wanderingspiritdesigns.blogspot.com/
Those are gorgeous... and would be pretty impractical if solid.

Old 2010-06-21, 12:23am

Got it...thanks! And I love Aja's beads, they are so cool and chunky!

Old 2010-06-21, 1:19am
More ideas than talent

Hollow beads are surprisingly strong as well.

Old 2010-06-21, 1:29am
Entropy increasing....

Why make opaque hollows? Because they are cool looking.
Old 2010-06-21, 2:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Why make opaque hollows? Because they are cool looking.
But Kevan, my point was that you can't see that they are hollow if you are using opaque glass. =/ So that was why I was asking. I would have never known that Aja's beads are hollow if someone hadn't told me.

Old 2010-06-21, 2:50am
one day at a time

A member on here - HWCGlass makes hollow beads that are amazing!! (did I get the name right??)
Old 2010-06-21, 3:12am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
But Kevan, my point was that you can't see that they are hollow if you are using opaque glass. =/ So that was why I was asking. I would have never known that Aja's beads are hollow if someone hadn't told me.
You would know it if you felt them. My DH only makes hollow beads. He doesn't make beads much at all anymore, but he can make big mandrel wound hollows 3 inches across. Though he always uses some clear glass, not always.

Laurie, the snake lady, makes some beautiful DSP hollows wrapped in DSP shards. They are so light weight.
Old 2010-06-21, 4:08am
I think I could be a bead

I like making opaque hollow beads. They are usually bigger than most beads, and they are so much lighter! I love them. Even if you can't see that they are hollow, you can pick them up and feel the difference in weight. A side effect of making opaque hollows is that when you clean them, you don't have to worry so much about getting all the bead release out of them since it won't be visible.

Old 2010-06-21, 6:53am

because you can

And if you're using an expensive color, you would be using less glass.
Old 2010-06-21, 4:02pm

If you have ever seen Ronit Dagan from Israel at a Gathering, wearing these MASSIVE hollow beads, you would know... I would need a chiropractor to wear this necklace if they were solid.
http://www.yanivgallery.com/English/Artist.asp?ID=15
(click on the third image, I have seen Ronit wearing these or similar many times. The largest ones must be 3 inches across, easily.)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-21, 5:02pm
Wandering Spirit

Thanks, Hayley
Patti, it's slightly addicting and opaques are usually more reactive than transparents, in my opinion (unless you're talking silver glass). I also like being able to mimic the look of something other than glass- so when people pick them up, the beads are lighter than expected and they sometimes say, "These are glass?!"

Old 2010-06-21, 5:56pm

OMG did you guys see the pair of lips and tongue ring on the link Jenny posted? Wow!
Anyway, Aja, thanks! So it's pretty much a weight issue. Cool! Now I want to hold one, lol!

Old 2010-06-21, 5:57pm

Mallory what is that animal in your avatar? lol

Old 2010-06-21, 6:12pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I make hollows because I am on a Hothead without a bead kiln, so large hollows will cool without cracking for me. I can decorate to my heart's content on a large bead this way...