LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2011-09-04, 11:26am

I have a tent but have a heater for it. I go to bluegrass and camp on northern Wisconsin 2 weeks later, should be fine to camp then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-04, 12:25pm
Fire Borne

I sure would love to attend if everything works out well. Question...by "invitational" do you mean you will be selecting who attends? To be perfectly honest, I haven't been on the torch for a couple years since life turned into a wild roller coaster. I like that you are openly inviting those who haven't the best skill level. I hope to remedy my situation when the weather cools. And I would dearly love to be feeling kindred vibes with my glassy friends.

pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-04, 12:41pm

The word 'invitational' is mostly there for the title. The application(out in around 4 weeks) will have an area to tell us why you want to attend. Mostly to get the feel of people. Some one could actually buy the "B" ticket and hang out , and not ever have worked glass. they would most likely end up making a bead or something. We have very advanced teachers and also very advanced , and brand spanking new attendees.
This is the concept that AGI has had for almost a decade. But mostly with boro. The Glass Blowing Center is owned by Tom and Elaine Doner. He learned how to work glass from my videos many years ago. Then he named the first and largest of his building after me. Then added the Bill Rassmussen lounge, the Bandu Building, the Barry Laffler Building, the Rogar Paramore Building and the Robert Mickelsen bar and grill. it is a slice of glass heaven.
Lewis c Wilson
Old 2011-09-04, 3:44pm
Fire Borne

Oh yes! I remember seeing pictures I believe when they named that building. Doesn't he dress as a wizardly type btw? I felt there must be a huge feeling of camraderie amongst those attending. I had read your update about this event, thank you for responding!

pat

Old 2011-09-04, 5:22pm

Tom Doner loves Willy Wonka. Dresses up in a purple Wonka outfit. He gave me the purple top hat that I own. many call the place Wonka land.
Lewis
Old 2011-09-04, 6:46pm

I'm looking forward to it, and to meeting some new glassy friends, and seeing some old ones. It'll be great!
In fact, the ability to start out upon your own impulse is fundamental to the gift of keeping going upon your own terms, not to mention the further and more fulfilling gift of getting started all over again -- never resting upon the oars of success or in the doldrums of disappointment....Getting started, keeping going, getting started again -- in art and in life, it seems to me this is the essential rhythm.... --Seamus Heaney

Old 2011-09-06, 8:40pm

I am very interested too.

I'm definitely close enough, being in Pittsburgh.
Old 2011-10-12, 12:23pm

Soft Glass Invitational Update Oct 13
Barb and I have been working on adding a private teaching studio area to be available during SGI. This is a small 12 by 12 room in the rear of the Bandu building. Good light, ventilation and up to three torches. It will be available to the teachers first, then to any attendees. The idea is to have this room available to a teacher that wants to offer a one on one demo, or a demo for five or six people or even a hands-on “mini class’ using up to three torches. The cost to rent the room will be $15 per hour. There would be a limit of no more than two hours rental by any person or persons. Any arrangements and payment between teachers and students is between them. The intent is to have this room available so that if someone wants to have a special private glass session, then it can happen.
The second thing that we have planned, is to let people know that if they want to rent any single building at The Glassblowing Center , they may do that , either before or after SGI. The rental will be between the teachers and Tom and Elaine Doner but we will advertise it on the website. There are five building that have multiple torch stations. An example would be renting the Barry Laffler building for $110 for one day. It has 14 torch stations. By renting the building, the teacher becomes the hosting studio that usually gets half of all money given for classes.You can get more information directly from the center. Ask for Tom or Elaine. http://www.glass123.com/
Old 2011-10-20, 2:49pm

I hope that this works. We now have a facebook page for SGI. there are a lot of pics of the site.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?fi...9094955507270/
Hope that this works.I guess that you may need to be friended also.
Lewis
Old 2011-10-21, 10:05pm

We got the posters today. Only one hundred and fifty of them. They are on 100 pound gloss paper. 17 by 11 inches. There will be one hundred used to give to attendees , demonstrators , and staff. We have 30-40 spots picked out to use the posters as posters. In Butler county and also Pittsburg. That leaves 10-20 we will hold on to . Not really to be sold, but maybe for raffle or fundraiser. The poster looks really great. Next week we will be getting the post cards. I have something planned . Will say when we get the post cards.
I hope this posts the poster picture. If not, it is in the link above.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-21, 10:11pm

Yes, I was very evil to print so few. What was I thinking? WHAT Waaaasss I thinking???
It's called promoting. And it is fun. Lewis
Old 2011-10-27, 4:54pm
critter creator

Hey Looie, can I get me a couple of those? I'll be sure they get displayed prominently at our Boston Chapter ISGB meetings, etc.

Looking good, BTW!
Old 2011-10-27, 8:21pm
Mary Lockwood

Just sent in my application. I can't believe this is the first I've heard of this event. Must have had my head in the sand all this time.

I'd be camping, in a tent. I'd want electricity though. I can rough it, but not if I don't have to (aka I want my own coffeepot in the tent with me). I'd rather camp than drive back and forth from a hotel.

Geeked out about the thought of this event. Awesome. Thanks so much for organizing this.

~~Mary

Old 2011-10-27, 10:48pm

Hi Mary, I just got your application and sent out the contract and information sheets. No problem on camping there. There are four others now. Most likely we will have you all camp right in between the buildings and not in the camping area. There should be the regular bathrooms or maybe one of the very clean portapotties with wash station and night light. Electric should not be a problem. there will be plenty of wood to keep the campfire going as late as those camping want. You supply the marshmellow .
Lewis
Old 2011-10-27, 11:01pm

I wish I lived closer and had unlimited money and time.
I would love to be there too and meet you all. Maybe in 2013??

|
Old 2011-10-27, 11:15pm

Miriam, glad to know that you would like to come. Where are you in the Netherlands? I was there in Amsterdam a few years ago with the GAS conferance. Loved the place. Lewis
Old 2011-10-27, 11:29pm

We have heard from about twenty people that have sent in applications. Here are some of their comments on why bthey want to attend.

Susan---I really enjoy getting together with other glass people(they are the best). Coming to the glass retreat would be a real treat eince I have always been working and not been able to enjoy this type of thing.

Linda---I gain so much inspiration from being around othet glass artists. I plan to start making beads full time after the first of the year and I happen to be traveling through Pa at just this time next year.

Holly---I have always wanted to come to this but was too afraid because I am so shy(yeah right) actually, I just could never find the vacation time.Plus something put together by such great folks as clean Barb and Dirty Looie has to be a blast in glass.

Chuck---I am looking forward to seeing other people work and also showing them how I work. Also the possability of collaborating on a project is of great interest to me.

Deborah---Would like to explore soft glass sculptures and need the time and support to learn how to troubleshoot possible problems.Love the AGI community, but this would be a different type of "camper".

Cleo--- There is nothing like the education and inspiration that comes from sharing with others artists. Unlike classes, you have no idea where this learning expierience is aimed.

Karen---I want to see demos by all the teachers that are listed. I would like to meet some of my lampworking heros.

Kris---I want to spend time with friends...learn more about others work and gather information about how others teach in hope of teaching myself some day, I would love to have a torch statiopn near my friens, Trey.

Melissa---Glass has facinated me since childhood. I collected glass figurines frok every place that we went and cried when mom and dad made me leave the glass booth at the amusement park.

Maxine---I would like to learn more and be inspired

marcia---I need to hang with some glass buddies in an open sharing emnvirenment.

Shirley---This sounds like a great opportunity to share and learn with like minded people.

Marcy---I'd like to come because i know it will be awesome torching side by side with fellow people who love glass too--all in one spot. And your demo line up has some of my faves!

Patricia---This sounds like a womderful opportunity to meet other "torchers".It is not far from me and the cost is just right!!

Diane-why not?

Cynthia---First because Louie is involved! That and this sounds like a great excuse to work at the torch I cannot keep my eyes open anymore. Oh, and being able to watch over people work and learn!! It's about learning...

Mary ---I attended the Bead Invitational at the Glass Blowing Center back in '05 and it was great to hang out with other glass lovers in a friendly, sharing atmosphere. There were people there more advanced than myself and I absorbed as much as I could from them, like a sponge. There were people there who could learn from me too and it felt good to be able to give something back. I love the whole philosophy of the SGI event and simply cannot wait to get back to Hilliards.
Old 2011-10-28, 6:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisW View Post
Miriam, glad to know that you would like to come. Where are you in the Netherlands? I was there in Amsterdam a few years ago with the GAS conferance. Loved the place. Lewis
I live in the southern part, close to Eindhoven. The GAS conference in Amsterdam was in 2002. I started lampworking in 2004 so I never knew about the conference.

|
Old 2011-10-28, 11:30am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I did it. I sent in an application.

--
--
--

Old 2011-10-28, 11:45am

We got it and I just sent you the information. Glad to have you on board. There are five now camping. We will make sure that you have everything that you need.
Lewis
Old 2011-11-02, 3:37pm

We now have a vertical banner on LE on the left side. It has the same pics as are on the post cards and posters. This is being done to instill name recognition and to get the word out.We now have 19 applications. Twelve have sent in contracts for "A" tickets. Two have sent in contracts for "B" tickets. Lewis
Old 2011-11-09, 9:38am

Barb and I are pleased to announce that both Wale Apparatus and Soft Flex Wire Co will be tech vendors at this event.
Lewis
Old 2011-11-09, 10:11am
grama punky - class junky

how exciting!

Old 2011-11-11, 3:13pm

Today we hit the half way point with torch stations. We have 40 torch stations available for SGI. We have applications from 29 people . Paid deposits from 14. There are six teachers. So we now have 20 more torch stations open. We also have three wanting a "B" ticket so they can share with someone at a torch station. A dozen are planning to camp out . Others will be at the motel as a group.
Old 2011-11-21, 10:00am
Mary Lockwood

I stayed at the motel the last time I was there. It was perfectly fine and the people who run it were very nice to me. The food at the truck stop was truck stop food. Greasy, good, and plenty of it. We had breakfast there two mornings.

Also, while I was at the motel I got pretty good cell phone reception, which I preferred over using the room phone. Your mileage may vary.

~~Mary

eta:
I just sent in my contract and down payment. It's SO real now. Yay!

The last time I was there I was supposed to bring my own oxygen regulator. I don't have one now...are there enough oxygen regulators that I'll be covered or should I buy one before time? If you are figuring out torch positions I have really long hoses on my torch so if you need to put someone far from a connection you can stick me there. I don't really remember how it was hooked up, I just saw in the info that we need to have at least 6' hoses.

Last edited by Moth; 2011-11-21 at 10:30am.
Old 2011-11-21, 9:17pm

Hi Mary,

We have all the regulators. there shoul be no need of hoses being longer than 6feet. But if you have longer, no need to cut shorter. We will just coil up excess.
See you there. Lewis
Old 2011-11-21, 9:21pm
Mary Lockwood

Okie dokie! Thank you!!

Old 2011-11-21, 9:58pm
I like to melt things

I sent in my application! I am so excited

I thought I was going to have to wait until next September to go to Glass Stock, but now I'll get a fix in May which should just about tide me over until then.

-
-
Old 2011-11-22, 7:20am

Hi Melanie, I got your application. Sent you a contract and info sheet. Let me know that you recieved it, one bounced back. You are number 22 with a torch. We still have room for 18 more torch stations and 18 "B" ticket holders that can share torch stations.
I lived in Newfoundland (labrador) for four years in the early 1960s. So I speak some Canadian. I even have mucklucks.
Lewis
Old 2012-01-27, 12:44pm

Update Jan 27---Barb and I want to let people know that we still have 15 "A" tickets with torch stations . We also have room for 16 "B" tickets for those wanting to share. We head out to Tucson next week and will be passing out lots of postcards for Soft Glass Invitational. We will also put up posters at Best Bead Show.
About half the attendees are camping out. We have a block of rooms at a local hotel that cost $50 a night(Clean, WiFi, and quiet). We have one special surprise guest that wants to drop by and give a demo.
We have three of our four racoons very adept at making small mandrel beads. One is rather snarky and is doing small sculptures in boro. Barb has named him Looie.He is the one not looking at the camera in the picture on the home page . http://softglassinvitational.com/home.html
Lewis and barb