Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2012-08-28, 7:44am

Default Glass Demo suggestions

Hi everyone...

Tom was asked to do a glass demo this Sunday at Riverview Gallery in Portsmouth VA. This is close to us here in Va Beach. My question is....
Tom has never had the opportunity to do this before...is there anything in particular he should know? He is bringing his torch, propane,oxygen concentrator and glass rods. How should his setup appear??? He has glass pendants in the Gallery already but what if somebody wants a particular piece other than what is in the gallery...do we just hand them a business card or should the sale be through the gallery...I'm stumped!!!! Any info will help.

Thank you,
Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-28, 9:25am

I torch at every show we enter. I have a travel along set up that I designed and my DH built. The table consists of two folding, L-shaped legs, a top covered with a piece of sheet metal and three pieces of plexi that fit into a track on the top. I too, take a propane tank which fits under the table and oxy which stands next to the table. The plexi sheet directly in front of me has some 'vent holes' drilled high and low. Enough to let heat out, but not enough to allow a strong gust of wind blow the flame back at me. It provides good protection from most of the elements and for the onlookers. I have recently seen a local copy my layout but used screens instead of plexi. I would not recommend especially for any area that is windy. I also take my arm rests. You would be surprised at how tired you can get doing this.

I take a comfortable chair or stool and a portable, homemade container to cool the beads out of little hands way.

Custom orders from shows are really tough. If there is something someone wants, get their name and email address along with a description of what they are looking for. When you have the piece done, you can email them a picture and arrange payment at that time. If they decide against it, no harm, no fowl and you sell the piece.

Not sure if there is anything else I can help with, but GOO LUCK!!!

Dweezil
Old 2012-08-29, 8:09pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil View Post
If there is something someone wants, get their name and email address along with a description of what they are looking for. When you have the piece done, you can email them a picture and arrange payment at that time. If they decide against it, no harm, no fowl and you sell the piece.
Actually, I'm going to disagree with you on that - the few times over the years that I've given in and not taken a deposit on custom work are the times I've gotten burned. If someone wants something custom, it's because they're not finding it elsewhere, which means it may not be popular enough to sell. After the first few times, I charge 50% prior to beginning work and the remaining balance prior to shipment. Worst case scenario, I've at least covered my expenses even if I lose on the time I spent on it.

Ask me about an Italian Renaissance wedding dress in phone book yellow and Kermit green with daisy trim . . . . Thankfully, that was a customer who had no problem with the 50% pre-pay, and the dress turned out wonderfully (don't ask me how, I'm still a bit confused on it )

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2012-08-31, 10:14am
Ex-lurker

Different strokes for different folks I guess, in regards to the wedding dress you did. I too get 50% down as I have been burned before. I just finished a 3D stained glass shamrock for some guy. I had done a big round Irish mosaic piece for him a few years ago and now he wanted a piece to put on top of his piano. "I want a 3D shamrock - surprise me" Well, he loved it. I wasn't crazy about it, but the point was he absolutely did.

As far as the gallery goes, I think I would run your questions by them first. Since they are technically "sponsoring" you, they should decide how to handle commissions and what not. If you are at your own show demoing, you can do whatever you want.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2012-09-03, 1:20pm

I just want to thank you all for your input. I did ask the owner of the gallery how we would handle the sales...it was through the gallery like I thought it probably would be. The demo went very well and we are ready for the next one...lol!!! Thank you again for your help!!!